|Limited liability company|
|Founded||September 1, 2009|
|Headquarters||Houston, Texas, United States|
|United States, Canada|
|Divisions||Seraphim Digital, Anime Network|
Section23 Films (legal name "SXION 23, LLC") is an American multimedia distributor specializing in anime and Japanese films. Founded in 2009, Section23 Films is one of five successors to ADV Films, as well as the distributor for Sentai Filmworks and Switchblade Films. ADV had announced that it had sold its assets to a group of companies, including Section23, on September 1, 2009. The company is based in Houston, Texas.
Section23 Films is a distribution company devoted to marketing and releasing titles into the North American market. The company distributes titles for Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Pictures, Maiden Japan, and AEsir Holdings.
List of Section23 Films clients
Sentai Filmworks is an anime licensing studio. It was founded by Ledford in 2008 and partnered with ADV Films to distribute their anime onto the market including shows that were previously released and licensed by Geneon Entertainment USA, Urban Vision, Central Park Media, and Bandai Entertainment. After ADV Films sold its assets, the ADV Films name was dropped as a production entity and folded into Sentai Filmworks, with distribution being handled by Section23. Their first title was a re-release of Mahoromatic.
When asked by a fan on Facebook what the reason was for calling the company "Sentai", chief executive officer Matt Greenfield responded, "It's a multi-layered pun, mostly for the benefit of the Japanese. Although Sentai can be translated as Squadron, Regiment or Flotilla, it basically means a team or group assembled with specific training and equipment for a specific purpose. Plus, Sentai was formed to help keep the anime industry alive in the U.S., so the superhero aspect is a double-play on that that Americans can get."
Switchblade Pictures is a licensing company that mostly licenses live-action Japanese films (mostly, uncut horror, erotic and shock value cinema). Along with Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade was formed in 2008 and ADV Films also provided initial distribution. Since ADV's folding, distribution is handled by Section23. Their first release was Cruel Restaurant.
Maiden Japan is an anime licensing studio, created in 2010, that licenses subtitled and English dubbed series and collections with distribution handled by Section23. Maiden Japan is a sister label to Switchblade Pictures. Titles licensed include newer subtitled series as well as classic anime titles from the 80's and 90's (such as Patlabor, New Dominion Tank Police, and Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise). The first release for Maiden Japan was the erotic comedy Papillon Rose as a subtitled DVD collection in 2010.
AEsir Holdings is an anime licensing studio. They hold the rights to several titles which formerly belonged to ADV Films before its shutdown. Released titles include Princess Tutu, Petite Princess Yucie, Parasite Dolls, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Saiyuki, and Lady Death: The Movie.
Kraken Releasing is a licensing studio that specializes in licensing international films that are of the fantasy, science fiction, tokusatsu and horror variety. Kraken is a live-action sister label to Switchblade Pictures and Maiden Japan. So far its releases are Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. Gigan, and The Return of Godzilla.
SoftCel Pictures is a licensing studio focusing on hentai. It was originally the hentai label for ADV Films before being shut down in 2005 after splitting from ADV. In 2017, SoftCel was relaunched and released their first new title, The Patients of Dr. Maro in June 2017.
Sentai Kids is a licensing studio focusing on kids' properties. It was originally the kids label for ADV Films known as ADV Kidz. Sentai Kids' first release has been confirmed to be Hello Kitty & Friends - Let's Learn Together releasing on home video & digital in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, in November 2018.
Section23 Films, Sentai Filmworks, Maiden Japan, and AEsir Holdings do not directly release their properties in non-North American (English-speaking) markets as opposed to their predecessor, A.D. Vision, instead sublicensing to other companies such as Manga Entertainment, MVM Entertainment, Anime Limited and Animatsu Entertainment in the United Kingdom and Siren Visual, Madman Entertainment, and Hanabee in Australia and New Zealand.
- "Office of Harris County District Clerk - Chris Daniel | Case (Cause) Details 201167220-7". Hcdistrictclerk.com. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "Section23 Films Ships 1st DVDs Since Public Unveiling." Anime News Network. Retrieved on September 8, 2009.
- Tribbey, Chris. "ADV Films Sells Assets Archived 2012-09-06 at Archive.is." Home Media Magazine. September 1, 2009. Retrieved on September 14, 2009.
- "ADV Films Shuts Down, Parent Transfers Assets to Other Companies." Anime News Network. Retrieved on February 18, 2010.
- "ADV Films to Distribute Anime For Sentai Filmworks". Anime News Network. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "ADV Gets Indian Summer, Five Live-Action Films". Anime News Network. August 10, 2008. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- "ADV Reveals More Of Switchblade Pictures Lineup". Anime News Network. October 29, 2008. Retrieved January 17, 2011.
- "Section23 Films Licenses Papillion Rose, La Corda D'oro (Updated)". Anime News Network. March 19, 2010. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- "Section23 Films Announces September Slate". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Section23 Films Announces October Slate". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Kraken Releasing Licenses Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Godzilla vs. Gigan" (Press Release). Anime News Network. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "SoftCel Pictures Relaunches With New Adult Anime". Anime News Network. February 15, 2017. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "Sentai Filmworks Launches 'Kids' Label With New Hello Kitty Series". Anime News Network. July 25, 2018. Retrieved July 25, 2018.
- Sentai Filmworks Official Website
- Switchblade Pictures Official Website
- Maiden Japan Official Website
- SoftCel Pictures Official Website
- Section23 Films at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Sentai Filmworks at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Maiden Japan at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- AEsir Holdings at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- SoftCel Pictures at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- "Section23 Films". TV Tropes.