|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||147.94 kg/mol|
|(what is this?)|
Secukinumab, trade name Cosentyx, is a human IgG1κ monoclonal antibody that binds to the protein interleukin (IL)-17A, and is manufactured by Novartis Pharma AG for the treatment of psoriasis, ankylosing spondylitis, and psoriatic arthritis. It targets member A form of the cytokine family of interleukin 17, severely inhibiting its functioning. On January 21, 2015, the United States, the federal Food and Drug Administration announced that it had approved secukinumab to treat adults with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis. On January 15, 2016, the United States, the federal Food and Drug Administration announced that it had approved secukinumab to treat adults with ankylosing spondylitis, and psoriatic arthritis.
A phase II clinical trial for multiple sclerosis completed in 2014 as it had exhibited efficacy in treating experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), an animal model of MS. Results of this trial have not yet been reported as of April 2015
Patients begin treatment with five booster shots of 300 mg subcutaneous each one taken a week apart, followed by regular injections once a month thereafter for 5 months.
- "Statement On A Non-proprietary Name Adopted By The USAN Council: Secukinumab" (PDF). American Medical Association.
- Hueber, W.; Patel, D. D.; Dryja, T.; Wright, A. M.; Koroleva, I.; Bruin, G.; Antoni, C.; Draelos, Z.; Gold, M. H.; Durez, P.; Tak, P. P.; Gomez-Reino, J. J.; Foster, C. S.; Kim, R. Y.; Samson, C. M.; Falk, N. S.; Chu, D. S.; Callanan, D.; Nguyen, Q. D.; Rose, K.; Haider, A.; Di Padova, F.; Rose, K; Haider, A; Di Padova, F (2010). "Effects of AIN457, a Fully Human Antibody to Interleukin-17A, on Psoriasis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Uveitis". Science Translational Medicine. 2 (52): 52ra72. PMID 20926833. doi:10.1126/scitranslmed.3001107.
- "FDA approves new psoriasis drug Cosentyx" (Press release). United States Food and Drug Administration. January 21, 2015. Retrieved January 21, 2015.
- "Novartis receives two new FDA approvals for Cosentyx to treat patients with ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis in the US | Novartis". Novartis. 2016-01-15. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/806510_6[full citation needed]
- Clinical trial number NCT01874340 for "Efficacy and Safety of AIN457 (Secukinumab) in Patients With Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis" at ClinicalTrials.gov