|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|County||El Paso County|
|• Type||unincorporated communities|
|• Total||13.477 sq mi (34.905 km2)|
|• Land||12.993 sq mi (33.653 km2)|
|• Water||0.483 sq mi (1.252 km2)|
|Elevation||5,843 ft (1,781 m)|
|• Density||2,531/sq mi (977/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|GNIS feature||Security-Widefield CDP|
Security-Widefield is a census-designated place (CDP) comprising the unincorporated communities of Security and Widefield located in and governed by El Paso County, Colorado, United States. The CDP is a part of the Colorado Springs, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population of the Security-Widefield CDP was 32,882 at the United States Census 2010. El Paso County governs the unincorporated communities. Both the Colorado Springs post office (Zip Codes 80911, 80913, and 80925) and the Fountain post office (Zip Code 80817) serve the area.
In 1991, Widefield was the site of the United Airlines 585 Crash, which killed all 25 persons aboard. The crash was later determined to have been caused by a defect in the design of the Boeing 737-200's rudder power control unit.
East-west running Fontaine Boulevard divides Security-Widefield into two parts. Local convention usually regards Security as the section that is north of Fontaine Boulevard, with Widefield considered to be the southern section.
The Security-Widefield CDP has an area of 8,625 acres (34.905 km2), including 309 acres (1.252 km2) of water.
|Source: United States Census Bureau|
Students are served by the Widefield School District 3.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- United Airlines Flight 585
- "State of Colorado Census Designated Places - BAS20 - Data as of January 1, 2020". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 21, 2020.
- "U.S. Board on Geographic Names: Domestic Names". United States Geological Survey. Retrieved December 16, 2020.
- "Look Up a ZIP Code". United States Postal Service. Retrieved December 16, 2020.
- "2010: DEC Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 22, 2020.