Security Information Service
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Bezpečnostní informační služba
Badge of BIS employee
|Formed||30 July 1994|
|Jurisdiction||Government of the Czech Republic|
|Headquarters||Prague, Czech Republic|
|Annual budget||$49,584,953 USD (2005)|
The Security Information Service (BIS) (Czech: Bezpečnostní informační služba), is the primary domestic national intelligence agency of the Czech Republic. It is responsible for collecting, analyzing, reporting and disseminating intelligence on threats to Czech Republic's national security, and conducting operations, covert and overt, both domestically and abroad. It also reports to and advises the Government of the Czech Republic on national security issues and situations that threaten the security of the nation.
The BIS headquarters is located in Stodůlky, Prague 5. The Security Information Service reports directly to the Government, Prime Minister and President of the Czech Republic and is overseen by the Special Review Committee of the Chamber of Deputies.
Command, control and organization
The BIS is strictly apolitical and has no police powers - it cannot detain, arrest or interrogate suspects. The BIS reports to the Government, Prime Minister and President of the Czech Republic and its activities are regulated and controlled by the Government, Committee of the Chamber of Deputies and its own internal audit. The service is headed by the Director who is appointed by the Prime Minister with consent of the Committee on Security of the Chamber of Deputies.
The Security Information Service performs duties associated with the analysis, democracy and constitutionality, terrorism, counter-intelligence, cybersecurity, organized crime, proliferation and use of strategically important intelligence regarding the fields of politics, economics and intelligence within the territory of the Czech Republic.
- "BIS (Czech Counter-intelligence service) in transformation, 1994-2014", Yu Cheng, European Intelligence Academy, Charles University in Prague, July 2014
- Chris Hippner, "A Study Into the Size of the World’s Intelligence Industry" (Master's Thesis, December 2009), 90, http://issuu.com/not_sure/docs/intelligence-spending.
- Security Information Service [BIS], Annual Report of the Security Information Service (BIS) for 2005, http://www.bis.cz/_english/vz2005/vz2005-9.html [accessed May 5, 2009].
- "What we do". BIS. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "Audit and Oversight". BIS. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Věrná služba ředitele BIS" (in Czech). Respekt.cz. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Michal Koudelka becomes new head of counter-intelligence service". Czech Radio. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "About us". BIS. Retrieved 25 September 2015.