From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Types of security appliances
- Active devices block unwanted traffic. Examples of such devices are firewalls, anti virus scanning devices, and content filtering devices.
- Passive devices detect and report on unwanted traffic, such as intrusion detection appliances.
- Preventative devices scan networks and identify potential security problems (such as penetration testing and vulnerability assessment appliances).
- Unified Threat Management (UTM) appliances combine features together into one system, such as some firewalls, content filtering, web caching etc.
Examples of a security appliance include:
- Aladdin Knowledge Systems eSafe Content Security Solution
- ApplianSys AUDITbox vulnerability assessment and CACHEbox web cache/content filtering appliances.
- Blue Coat Systems ProxySG UTM appliance.
- Blue Pex Security Solutins UTM appliance.
- CISCO Systems PIX firewall and Cyberoam UTM appliances.
- Check Point UTM-1 Edge, Power-1, VSX-1, IP Appliances (Formerly a Nokia Product Line).
- Clavister Next Generation Firewalls.
- Distil Networks Virtual or Physical Appliances for Bot Detection 
- Finjan Vital Security - Secure Web Gateways.
- F5 Networks BIG-IP security appliances.
- Global Technology Associates, Inc. Firewall Appliance
- GajShield Next Generation Firewall with Context based DLP
- IronPort Web and Email security appliances.
- Imperva SecureSphere datebase and file security appliance.
- Innominate mGuard Firewall and VPN Security appliances.
- Palo Alto Networks Next Generation Firewalls.
- SonicWall UTM appliances.
- Shieldcore Systems
- Radware DefensePro - Application Security & Network Intrusion Prevention System.
- VNS3 (a software-only virtual appliance)
- Vyatta (a Linux distro that reproduces the functionality of a security appliance)
- Websense (Application Security & Network Intrusion Prevention System)
- EJBCA Appliance (PrimeKey PKI Appliance, Certificate Authority including Hardware security module)
- Parker, Don (Oct 6, 2005), "Standardization and the security appliance", WindowsSecurity.com
- "Aladdin eSafe Appliance - Product Review". July 1, 2002, PC Magazine.
- "Check Point Completes Acquisition of Nokia Security Appliance Business". 2009-04-13. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- "Clavister gets competitive break with 'Snowden effect,' seizes new market opportunities". 451research.com. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "Private Cloud Deployment on Virtual or Physical Appliances". Distil Networks.
- Finjan - Vital Security - Web Security Gateway Appliance for Web Security, retrieved 2010-04-24
- "SecureSphere Platforms - Web, Database, and File Security". Imperva.
- "Unbreakable SCADA Security". June 7, 2012, DownstreamToday.com.
- "Palo Alto Networks".
- Radware - DefensePro - Application Security & Network Intrusion Prevention System
|This computer networking article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|