Looking west on Manhart Street in Sedalia
Location in Douglas County and the state of Colorado
|State||State of Colorado|
|• Total||1.4 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Land||1.4 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,840 ft (1,780 m)|
|• Density||151/sq mi (58.3/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|Area code(s)||Both 303 and 720|
|GNIS feature ID||0204740|
Sedalia is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Douglas County, Colorado, United States. The CDP population was 206 at the 2010 census. The Sedalia Post Office has the ZIP code 80135.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Sedalia CDP has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.5 km2), all of it land. Sedalia is in the valley of Plum Creek, a north-flowing tributary of the South Platte River.
As of the census of 2000, there were 211 people, 94 households, and 54 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 152.2 people per square mile (58.6/km²). There were 99 housing units at an average density of 71.4 per square mile (27.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 93.84% White, 4.27% Asian, 1.90% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.27% of the population.
There were 94 households out of which 24.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.1% were married couples living together, 3.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.5% were non-families. 35.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 21.3% under the age of 18, 5.2% from 18 to 24, 32.2% from 25 to 44, 27.5% from 45 to 64, and 13.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 126.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 124.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $37,045, and the median income for a family was $40,000. Males had a median income of $41,042 versus $32,292 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $15,528. None of the families and 4.2% of the population were living below the poverty line.
Notable individuals who were born in and/or have lived in Sedalia include:
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- Colorado cities and towns
- Colorado counties
- Colorado metropolitan areas
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Sedalia CDP, Colorado". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- "Post offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 9 July 2016.
- Dawson, John Frank. Place names in Colorado: why 700 communities were so named, 150 of Spanish or Indian origin. Denver, CO: The J. Frank Dawson Publishing Co. p. 46.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Philip Francis Roach". Hall of Valor. Military Times. Retrieved 2016-04-20.