Downtown Sedan (2013)
Location within Chautauqua County and Kansas
KDOT map of Chautauqua County (legend)
|• Total||0.81 sq mi (2.10 km2)|
|• Land||0.81 sq mi (2.10 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||863 ft (263 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||1,034|
|• Density||1,400/sq mi (540/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|FIPS code||20-63750 |
|GNIS feature ID||0469151 |
Sedan is located at  which is approximately the middle-point between New York City and Los Angeles. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.81 square miles (2.10 km2), all of it land.(37.128472, -96.186220),
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Sedan has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,124 people, 482 households, and 269 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,387.7 inhabitants per square mile (535.8/km2). There were 615 housing units at an average density of 759.3 per square mile (293.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 91.3% White, 0.4% African American, 2.8% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 2.2% from other races, and 3.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.2% of the population.
There were 482 households of which 25.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.9% were married couples living together, 11.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 44.2% were non-families. 40.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.86.
The median age in the city was 48.1 years. 21.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 18.2% were from 25 to 44; 26.5% were from 45 to 64; and 26.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.3% male and 52.7% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,342 people, 560 households, and 346 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,712.6 people per square mile (664.3/km²). There were 652 housing units at an average density of 832.1 per square mile (322.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 93.44% White, 0.52% African American, 3.35% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.15% Pacific Islander, 0.45% from other races, and 1.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.09% of the population.
There were 560 households out of which 23.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.9% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.2% were non-families. 35.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the city, the population was spread out with 23.0% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 21.3% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 27.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 83.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,324, and the median income for a family was $32,574. Males had a median income of $21,490 versus $19,261 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,153. About 6.8% of families and 11.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.0% of those under age 18 and 9.5% of those age 65 or over.
- Emmett Kelly Museum is located in Sedan, honoring native son, circus clown Emmett Kelly.
- Butcher Falls
- Emmett Kelly, circus performer
- Elmer Riggs, paleontologist who died here
- Cassius Shartel, U.S. Representative of Missouri
- William Sproul, U.S. Representative of Kansas
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- Kansas State Historical Society (1916). Biennial Report of the Board of Directors of the Kansas State Historical Society. Kansas State Printing Plant. p. 154.
- Moyer, Armond; Moyer, Winifred (1958). The origins of unusual place-names. Keystone Pub. Associates. p. 117.
- Blackmar, Frank Wilson (1912). Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Volume 2. Standard Publishing Company. p. 661.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Sedan, Kansas
- "Chautauqua County Community USD 286". USD 286. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- "Baseball". KSHSAA. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Butcher Falls; Kansas Travel.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sedan, Kansas.|
- USD 286, local school district
- Sedan City Map, KDOT