|Studio album by The Rascals|
|Released||December 15, 1969|
|Producer||The Rascals, Arif Mardin|
|The Rascals chronology|
See is the sixth studio album by rock band The Rascals, released in December 1969. It peaked at number 45 on the Billboard 200. Three singles were released from the album although the third one was "I Believe" (which was from Search and Nearness) b/w "Hold On".
The album continued a trend towards album-oriented material authored and sung by Felix Cavaliere, begun with the band's Freedom Suite album earlier in the year. As the 1960s ended, the Rascals were slipping down the charts and Eddie Brigati was soon to leave the group during the recording of their next release Search and Nearness, their final album for Atlantic Records.
|Robert Christgau||(A-) |
Writing for Allmusic, critic Thom Jurek praised some of the individual tracks, but wrote of the album as a whole "... while See sounded more like an updated version of the Rascals of old, the consistency of attack wasn't there and there are several simply dodgy cuts, making the album—as an album—a disappointment." Music critic Robert Christgau rated the album an A- and wrote "Admittedly, the Rascals have severe limitations, but so does rock itself, and this album apprehends and utilizes those limitations, with all of the annoying pretensions absent and the pleasant ones retained."
Rolling Stone critic Lenny Kaye wrote in his review "Sometimes one wonders if the Rascals wouldn't be better off just making hit singles," he mused in his review of See. "Given the space of an entire album, the group seems to founder about, coming up with material that is in some cases good, but more often simply innocuous. Their latest, See, falls within this tradition."
All songs are written by Felix Cavaliere, except where otherwise indicated.
- "See" – 5:04
- "I'd Like to Take You Home" – 2:37
- "Remember Me" (Gene Cornish) – 2:12
- "I'm Blue" (Felix Cavaliere, Eddie Brigati) – 3:51
- "Stop and Think" – 4:10
- "Temptation's 'Bout to Get Me" (Jeff Diggs) – 3:31
- "Nubia" – 3:44
- "Carry Me Back" – 2:53
- "Away Away" (Cornish) – 3:26
- "Real Thing" – 2:45
- "Death's Reply" – 4:19
- "Hold On" – 3:37
- "See" / "Away Away" (May, 1969) US: #27
- "Carry Me Back" / "Real Thing" (August, 1969) US: #26
- "I Believe" / "Hold On" (December, 1969) US: #51
- Felix Cavaliere – organ, piano, lead vocals, backing vocals
- Eddie Brigati – percussion, lead vocals, backing vocals
- Gene Cornish – guitar, lead vocals, backing vocals
- Dino Danelli – drums
- Chuck Rainey – bass
- Ron Carter – bass ("Nubia," "Carry Me Back")
- Hubert Laws – flute
- Danny Labbate – soprano sax
- Joe Bushkin – piano ("Carry Me Back")