See You Again (Carrie Underwood song)
|"See You Again"|
|Single by Carrie Underwood|
|from the album Blown Away|
|Released||April 15, 2013|
|Songwriter(s)||Carrie Underwood, Hillary Lindsey, David Hodges|
|Carrie Underwood singles chronology|
See You Again is a power ballad song released by American country music recording artist Carrie Underwood. It was written by Underwood, Hillary Lindsey, and David Hodges. It was released as the fourth and final single from Underwood's fourth studio album, Blown Away, on April 15, 2013. Underwood announced the single on her official Twitter account.
Underwood debuted the song on the twelfth season of American Idol on April 4, 2013. "See You Again" is Underwood's eighteenth consecutive Top 10 single on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart and is also her seventeenth single to be certified at least Gold by the RIAA. As of December 2013, the single has sold 740,000 copies in the United States. On August 10, 2015, "See You Again" was officially certified as Platinum.
- 1 Content
- 2 Composition
- 3 Critical reception
- 4 Commercial performance
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Music video
- 7 Track listing
- 8 Charts and certifications
- 9 Release history
- 10 References
- 11 External links
"See You Again" tells the story of moving onwards after experiencing the death of a loved one in life. The lyrics provide hope and promise through Underwood's belief that one will reunite with every fallen loved one in the afterlife. The song's opening consists of a solo piano, followed by a backing chorus and band kicking in shortly after.
"See You Again" was originally one of three songs written for the 2010 feature film The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Of the three songs that Underwood, Hodges, and Lindsey co-wrote for the film, the workers behind the project opted to choose "There's a Place For Us." Underwood pushed to include "See You Again" on her fourth studio album, Blown Away, during the writing process of the album.
The song has received positive reviews from music critics. Billboard.com described the song to be "truly a taste of heaven." Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe included the song in his personal favorite tracks from the Blown Away studio album in the website's 2012 year-end countdown of editors' favorite Country albums of the year, as did Matt Bjorke of Roughstock for their album countdown. Liv Carter of Urban Country News gave the song a "thumbs up", adding "what pulls it over the line however, and presumably why it has become a fan-favorite, is its sincerity in wishing to bring comfort and Underwood’s confident performance." Jonathan Keefe of Slant Magazine was less favorable, saying that "the chorus of power ballad "See You Again" is marred by dated, campy arena-rock clichés."
The song debuted at No. 60 on the US Country Airplay chart for the week of April 13, 2013, and peaked at No. 2 for the chart dated September 7, 2013. It entered the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 90 for the chart dated May 18, 2013, and peaked at No. 34 for the chart of August 31, 2013. It also peaked at No.7 on the Hot Country Songs chart on August 24, 2013. As of December 2013, the single has sold 740,000 copies in the United States.
Awards and nominations
CMT Music Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2014||"See You Again"||Video of the Year||Won|
|2014||"See You Again"||Female Video of the Year||Nominated|
World Music Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2013||"See You Again"||World's Best Video||Nominated|
|2013||"See You Again"||World's Best Song||Nominated|
On June 7, 2013, Good Morning America gave a first look for the music video for "See You Again". The full video premiered soon after on ABCNews.com. The music video was directed by Eric Welch. It showed the aftermaths of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the September 11 attacks and the 2013 Moore, Oklahoma, tornado, along with various reunions.
- Digital download
- "See You Again" – 4:07
Charts and certifications
|United States||April 15, 2013||Country radio|
|August 26, 2013||Hot/Modern/AC radio|
- "Twitter - @carrieunderwood: Ok...I am so excited to announce..." twitter.com. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- "Carrie Underwood to Debut New Single on 'American Idol'". countrymusicislove.com. March 27, 2013. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- Trust, Gary (2013-12-20). "Ask Billboard: What Are Your Favorites Of 2013?". Ask Billboard. Billboard.com. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "Gold & Platinum". RIAA.
- "'See You Again' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- Foster, Ben (January 2, 2013). "Country Universe's Top Albums of 2012". countryuniverse.net. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- "The Year That Was: Roughstock's Favorite 40 Country Albums of 2012". roughstock.com. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- "Single Review: 'See You Again' - Carrie Underwood". urbancountrynews.com. March 18, 2013. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- "Carrie Underwood: Blown Away | Music Review". Slant Magazine. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- "Country Update: Carrie Underwood" (PDF). billboard.biz. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- Bronson, Fred (August 31, 2013). "American Idol' on the Charts: Lee DeWyze Returns to the Billboard 200 With 'Frames'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Bronson, Fred (May 11, 2013). "'American Idol' On The Charts: 'Voice' Finalist Takes the 'Wheel,' Boosts Carrie Underwood". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Bronson, Fred (August 23, 2013). "'American Idol' on the Charts: Phillip Phillips' Third Single Debuts". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "World Music Awards :: Home". worldmusicawards.com. Archived from the original on 2013-06-05.
- "Carrie Underwood". carrieunderwoodofficial.com.
- "CMT : Videos : Carrie Underwood : See You Again". Country Music Television. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Canada AC)". Billboard.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2013: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "American single certifications – Carrie Underwood – See You Again". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Hot/Modern/AC Future Releases - Hot Adult Contemporary Rock Songs and Release Dates - ..." All Access.