See You Yesterday
|See You Yesterday|
|Directed by||Stefon Bristol|
|Screenplay by||Fredrica Bailey |
|Based on||See You Yesterday |
by Fredrica Bailey
|Produced by||Spike Lee|
|Starring||Eden Duncan-Smith |
Marsha Stephanie Blake
Myra Lucretia Taylor
Brian "Stro" Bradley
|Cinematography||Felipe Vara de Rey|
|Edited by||Jennifer Lee|
|Music by||Michael Abels|
See You Yesterday is a 2019 American science fiction film directed by Stefon Bristol with a screenplay by Bristol and Fredrica Bailey based on Bristol's 2017 short film of the same name. It stars Eden Duncan-Smith, Dante Crichlow and Astro. It was released on May 17, 2019, by Netflix. The film received positive reviews and was nominated for two awards at the 35th Independent Spirit Awards, with Bristol and Bailey winning Best First Screenplay. This film marks the final film appearance of Michael J. Fox before his retirement from acting in 2020.
The film follows the story of an ambitious science prodigy, who uses her prowess and capabilities to create time machines, in order to save her brother who has been killed by a police officer. As she tries to alter the events of the past, she will eventually face the perilous consequences of time travel.
- Eden Duncan-Smith as C.J. Walker
- Danté Crichlow as Sebastian Thomas, C.J.'s best friend
- Brian "Stro" Bradley as Calvin Walker, C.J.'s older brother
- Marsha Stephanie Blake as Phaedra, C.J. and Calvin's mother.
- Johnathan Nieves as Eduardo, Sebastian's friend.
- Michael J. Fox as Mr. Lockhart, C.J. and Sebastian's science teacher
- Myra Lucretia Taylor as Gloria, Sebastian's grandmother
- Wavyy Jonez as Dennis, Calvin's friend
- Rayshawn Richardson as Jared, C.J.'s ex-boyfriend
- Khail Bryant as Tiffany
- Ejyp Johnson as Rosco
- Barrington Walters, Jr. as Keith
- Muhammad Cunningham as Malik
- Carlos Arce as Carlito
- Rony Clanton as Sly
- Yvette Mercedes as Rosie
- Courtney Noel as Kingsley
- Manny Ureña as Officer Perez
- Brett Smith as Officer Bryce
It was released on May 17, 2019 on Netflix streaming.
The film has received favorable reviews from critics. On the review aggregator website, Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 95% based on 39 reviews, with a weighted average of 7.34/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "See You Yesterday marries a novel sci-fi premise with urgent social relevance and forges something excitedly new from the union—providing an impressive showcase for star Eden Duncan-Smith and debut writer-director Stefon Bristol." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 74 out of 100 based on nine critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews."
Brian Tallerico of the RogerEbert.com gave the film 3 out of 4 stars, reflecting on the film: "Bristol [the director] makes a number of smart decisions, including keeping it close to 80 minutes and bringing Flatbush to cinematic life", but as the film "becomes more cluttered with time travel loops, it becomes less interesting".
- Tenor Saw: "Ring the Alarm"
- Olatunji Yearwood: "Oh Yay!"
- Buddy feat. Ty Dolla Sign: "Hey Up There"
- New Babylon: "Reggae Revolution!
- Dawn Penn: "You Don't Love Me (No, No, No)"
- "Netflix aka To Distribute Spike Lee-Produced Film 'See You Yesterday'". Deadline. 2018-12-12. Archived from the original on 2018-12-13. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- Desk, TV News. "Netflix to Release Spike Lee's SEE YOU YESTERDAY". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "Netflix to Release Spike Lee-Produced 'See You Yesterday' in 2019". TheWrap. 2018-12-12. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- "2020 Film Independent Spirit Award nominations announced: See the full list". EW.com. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- Davenport, Emily (June 8, 2018). "Local director to shoot feature film with Spike Lee in Queens and Brooklyn this summer". QNS. Retrieved May 11, 2019.
- See You Yesterday. Netflix.
- "See You Yesterday". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved August 30, 2020.
- "See You Yesterday". Metacritic. Red Ventures. Retrieved January 24, 2021.
- "See You Yesterday Movie Review". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved July 12, 2019.
- "Every Song On The See You Yesterday Soundtrack". ScreenRant. 2019-05-17. Retrieved 2019-05-19.