|(20,000 (2008), about 9,353 (November 2015))|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Hualien and Nantou county (Taiwan)|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Atayal, Truku, Kavalan, Taiwanese Aborigines|
The Seediq (sometimes Sediq, or Seejiq, pronounced: [ˈsəədʑɪq] ; Chinese: 賽德克族) are a Taiwanese aboriginal people who live primarily in Nantou County and Hualien County. Their language is also known as Seediq.
Starting from 1897, the Japanese began a road building program that brought them into the indigenous people's territory. This was seen as invasive. Contacts and conflicts escalated and some indigenous people were killed. In 1901, in a battle with the Japanese, indigenous people defeated 670 Japanese soldiers. As a result of this, in 1902, the Japanese isolated Wushe.
Between 1914 and 1917, Japanese forces carried out an aggressive 'pacification' program killing many resisting people. At this time, the leader of Mahebo, Mona Rudao, tried to resist rule by Japan, but he failed twice because his plans were divulged. At his third attempt, he organized seven out of twelve groups to fight against the Japanese forces.
Shin Cheng events
The Japanese wanted to subjugate the Truku group. After eight years of investigating the area, they invaded. Two thousand of the indigenous people took part in resisting the invasion. The Japanese deployed 200 machine guns and 10,000 soldiers against the Aboriginals, but grievous wounds were inflicted upon the Japanese Governor-General Sakuma Samata during the war and caused his eventual death.
Renzhiguan events, 1902
After taking over the plain, Japanese gained control of Wushe. Some of the Tgdaya people who resisted the Japanese were shot. Because of this, fighting broke out again, leading to the Wushe incident.
Zimeiyuan incident, 1903
In popular culture
The Seediq people were featured prominently in the 2011 Taiwanese historical drama film Seediq Bale which depicted the 1930 Wushe Incident along with the earlier Renzhiguan and Zimeiyuan incidents. The Wushe Incident was depicted three times in movies including in 1957 in the film 青山碧血 Qing Shan bi xue, It was also depicted in the 2003 TV Drama Dana Sakura.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Seediq people.|
- "賽德克族", 行政院原住民族委員會,2015年/12月10日查閱.
- Shih, Hsiu-chuan; Loa, Iok-sin (24 April 2008). "Sediq recognized as 14th tribe". Taipei Times. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- 新城事件 - 臺灣原住民歷史語言文化大辭典網路版
- 新城天主堂 - 花蓮觀光資訊網> 太魯閣地區> 熱門景點
- 花蓮縣文化局> 文化資產
- 文化視野：太魯閣事件的開端：新城事件- 台灣立報
- 太魯閣族抗日戰役史- 和平國小台灣母語日暨原住民資源網
- 臺灣原住民族文化知識網 歷史事件
- 被遺忘的戰役＿太魯閣戰役.mpg - YouTube
- 太魯閣戰役(電影粉絲團) - 【影片】百年血淚！被 ...
- 太魯閣事件 - 臺灣原住民歷史語言文化大辭典網路版
- 太魯閣戰爭 - 臺灣原住民歷史語言文化大辭典網路版
- 太魯閣 - 臺灣原住民數位博物館
- 2014年「太魯閣族抗日戰爭紀念系列活動」官方網站- 本站消息
- 2014年「太魯閣族抗日戰爭紀念系列活動」官方網站- Dxgal o ...
- Tsai 2005, p. 12.
- Tsai 2009, p. 134.
- 國立自然科學博物館-> 賽德克-巴萊特展-> 事件-> 人止關
- 人止關事件 - 臺灣原住民歷史語言文化大辭典網路版
- 國立自然科學博物館-> 賽德克-巴萊特展-> 事件-> 姊妹原事件
- 姐妹原事件 - 臺灣原住民歷史語言文化大辭典網路版
- 姊妹原事件 - VCenter - 您的影音中心- 數位典藏國家型計畫
- 真相．巴萊: 《賽德克・巴萊》的歷史真相與隨拍札記 (Seediq Bale 5)
- darryl (January 4, 2012). "Subjective, objective and indigenous history: Seediq Bale's take on the Wushe Incident". Savage Minds.
- Lee 2012, p. 395.