Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||R. D. Raja|
|Music by||D. Imman|
|Edited by||Vivek Harshan|
|Distributed by||24AM Studios|
Seema Raja (English: King from a foreign territory) is a 2018 Indian Tamil action drama film written and directed by Ponram and produced by R. D. Raja. The film stars Sivakarthikeyan, Samantha and Soori in the lead roles, with a supporting cast including Napoleon, Lal, and Simran. The film features music composed by D. Imman and cinematography by Balasubramaniem. The movie was released on 13 September 2018, coinciding with the festival of Vinayagar Chathurthi. The film received mixed reviews among the critics
The film begins outlining the sour relationship between the two villages, Singampatti and Puliyampatti. Seema Raja (Sivakarthikeyan) is a jobless youth from Singampatti, born in a family with a long lineage of brave people; the main one being King Kadambavel (Sivakarthikeyan). He does good things in the village for likes on Facebook and pays other villagers to treat him with respect. He hangs around with his sidekick/accountant Kannaku (Soori). The principal from a nearby school invites Seema Raja's father Ariya Raja (Napoleon) to the awards ceremony at the school. However, due to his father's busy schedule, Seema Raja offers to go instead. Here, he meets Sunthanthira Selvi (Samantha), a sports teacher and Silambam expert, and immediately falls in love with her. He then goes around following her, trying to court her.
Singampatti and Puliyampatti have been in a grudge over the market square for many years. The grudge has remained ingrained in the villagers, but they have not indulged in any sort of significant violence for a long time. It started again, where some villagers from Singampatti entered the closed market square and began to play cricket. This caused a large fight, which was only put to an end when Seema Raja offered to hold a wrestling match with the other village. Whichever village wins the match gets to have the market square, and the other village is driven out. To make matters worse, to test whether Seema Raja is just severely infatuated or genuinely in love with her and ascertain if he is a good suitor, Selvi tells Seema Raja to lose the wrestling match. Seema Raja is devastated. Seema Raja forms a group of other un-serious fighters, whilst Puliyampatti forms a group of very built fighters.
The wrestling match occurs with Puliyampatti beating the first few fighters with ease. Kanakku then comes to the circle, providing himself with the opportunity to show off his toned abs to the public. This match also ends in failure. Seema Raja is the final fighter (i.e. if he lost, Puliyampatti would win). At first, when he sees her, Seema Raja allows the opposing fighter to beat him up, but when she disappears, he proficiently takes down each fighter one by one. Seema Raja wins the match for Puliyampatti but rather than hog the spoils for his village, he decides to try and heal the grudge between the two villages by splitting the market square amongst them. This receives support from both villages. Seema Raja begins to gain more respect, and Selvi begins to reciprocate his love.
Kathaadi Kannan (Lal) and Kaaleeshwari (Simran) are two antagonists of the film. Kannan used to be a butcher but then took on the opportunity to purchase vast swathes of land to create wind farms. His greedy plans begin to put agriculture at risk and thus puts him at loggerheads with Seema Raja. A fight between the two ensues with him kidnapping Selvi and imprisoning her at his house. Here, a flashback occurs showing that Selvi was Kannan's daughter with his first wife. He leaves his first wife for Kaaleeshwari, causing his ex-wife to commit suicide by falling into a well. Ariya Raja attempts to stop this rapid acquisition of land. however, the villagers insult him and mock him for not doing anything for the people when they were under his control. This causes him to die of a broken heart. A funeral is carried out for him. Whilst Seema Raja is mourning his death, his grandfather chastises him for being so irresponsible. He begins to explain Seema Raja's ancestry, starting off with the brave Kadambavel and his wife Bhoomi (Keerthy Suresh). He narrates the stories of Kadambavel's fights against the foreigners, protecting his Tamil land. He explains how he exploited the Vallari, a type of boomerang, to his advantage to defeat the vast Muslim army, led by Malik Kafur. These stories of sheer chivalry motivate Seema Raja to take on his father's responsibility and become mature.
Seema Raja remains unaware of Selvi's love for him. He goes to court and attempts to allow Selvi to leave the house. However, since she has been blackmailed by Kaaleshwari (if she said she was being held against her will, she would kill her sister), she replied, 'ask my father' to every question that the police asked. The police quashed Seema Raja's case, and he was devastated. However, understanding the double meaning behind it, Seema Raja goes to Selvi's foster father and asks him what Selvi meant by it. Here, he finds out about her love for him. Seema Raja first thwarts Kannan's plan for rapid acquisition by meeting and agreeing a new deal with the Raj of Udaipur. The detail would enable them to construct a wind farm on their land, whilst also allowing them to farm on the land and receive rent for the land that the wind farm is present on, thus providing them with a sustainable income. At first, the villagers were hesitant but then, they agreed. Kannan is furious. Seema Raja returns to the house to break out Selvi and run away. Kannan and Kaaleeshwari then realize this and begin to chase them. They again recapture her and prepare to kill her by hanging her from the wind turbine as a revenge for thwarting their business plans. Seema Raja arrives in time to save her, and a fight ensures, where Kaaleeshwari is crushed to death by the wind turbine and Kannan is defeated. Seema Raja and Selvi then live happily ever after.
- Sivakarthikeyan as Seema Raja and Kadambavel Raja (Dual Roles)
- Samantha as Suthanthira Selvi
- Soori as Andisamy (Kanakku/Maths), Seema Raja's assistant
- Napoleon as Ariya Raja, Titular Raja of Singampatti (Seema Raja's father)
- Lal as Karikkada/Kaathadi Kannan, Selvi's biological father
- Simran as Kaaleeshwari
- Sriranjini as Titular Rani of Singampatti (Seema Raja's mother)
- Manobala as Headmaster
- Charandeep as Puliyampatti Tigers Wrestler
- Nadodigal Gopal as Selvi's adopted father/uncle
- Indhumathy as Selvi's adopted mother/aunt
- Paunraj as Karikkada/Kaathadi Kannan's assistant
- Rishikanth as Kaaleeshwari's brother
- Aathma Patrick as Wrestler
- Vaishali Thaniga as Jamuna
- Surjith Ansary as Bridegroom
- NK Krishan as Krishan
- Prema Priya
- Keerthy Suresh as Bhoomi, Kadambavel's wife (special appearance)
- Rajendran as Wrestling Coach (special appearance)
- Swaminathan as Puli Murugan (special appearance)
- Palani (special appearance as himself)
- Aranthangi Nisha (special appearance as herself)
- Ponram (special appearance in the "Vaaren Vaaren Seemaraja")
- Balasubramaniem (special appearance in the "Vaaren Vaaren Seemaraja")
- Baba Bhaskar (special appearance in the "Vaaren Vaaren Seemaraja")
On 17 August 2016, R. D. Raja announced that he would produce a film directed by Ponram starring Sivakarthikeyan in the lead role, with the film marking the third collaboration of the pair after the successful ventures of Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam (2013) and Rajini Murugan (2016). D Imman has composed the music score for the film which is being bankrolled by 24 AM Studios and slated to hit the screens on Vinayakar Chathurthi. Raja announced that the film would begin in early 2017 and be released for the Diwali season of 2017. Samantha was signed on to star in the film as the lead actress and Soori was also confirmed to be a part of the cast during mid-August 2016. Music composer D. Imman, cinematographer Balasubramaniem and editor Vivek Harshan were also retained to be a part of the project from the director's previous films. Meanwhile, T. Muthuraj was signed as an art director for this film, replacing G. Durairaj who earlier works for Ponram's earlier films. For her role in the film, Samantha began learning the art of silambam in late 2016. However, production on the film was postponed to allow Sivakarthikeyan to finish his commitments for Raja's two other ongoing ventures, Remo (2016) and Velaikkaran (2017). During the delay, Ponram also denied reports of it being a period film and revealed it would along the lines of his previous ventures.
The film commenced with a launch event held on 16 June 2017, with Simran, Napoleon and Lal joining the cast. Simran was revealed to play a character with negative shades along with Lal, while Napoleon was signed to portray the father of Sivakarthikeyan. The first schedule started in Thenkasi on the following day, with scenes involving the lead cast shot. By late November 2017, the team revealed that "fifty five percent" of the film's shoot was over, before starting the third schedule of the shoot. The film progressed untitled until February 2018 when the title of Seema Raja was announced to the public through a first look poster. In this film, actress Keerthy Suresh got third chance to act with Sivakarthikeyan in a cameo role. Actor Soori is sporting a six pack for the film. This film shooting wrapped up on 19 June 2018. The audio launch was held on 3 August 2018 at Madurai. The film has some historical portion in which Sivakarthikeyan appears as a King and Keerthy Suresh puts in a special appearance as Sivakarthikeyan's Queen.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Label||Think Music India|
|D. Imman chronology|
All of the film's songs were composed by D. Imman.
All lyrics written by Yugabharathi.
|1.||"Vaaren Vaaren Seemaraja"||Diwakar, Kavitha Gopi||5:13|
|2.||"Onnavitta Yaarum Yenakilla" (Version 1)||Sean Roldan, Shreya Ghoshal||4:38|
|3.||"Varum Aana Varaathu"||D. Imman, Vandana Srinivasan||4:24|
|4.||"Paraak Paraak"||Senthil Ganesh||4:25|
|6.||"Onnavitta Yaarum Yenakilla" (Version 2)||Sathyaprakash, Shreya Ghoshal||4:37|
|7.||"Seemaraja Swag"||Shenbagaraj, Vignesh Narayanan, Santosh Hariharan, Deepak, Swetha Suresh||1:30|
|8.||"A Late Night Walk with Veena"||Punya Srinivas||4:01|
- "Sivakarthikeyan: Sivakarthikeyan-Ponram team up again! | Tamil Movie News". Times of India. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Sivakarthikeyan to team up with Ponram again!". sify.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Hot release updates from Sivakarthikeyan's 'Seema Raja'!". indiaglitz.com.
- "Cast and crew details of Sivakarthikeyan Ponram's third project". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Samantha to romance Sivakarthikeyan in Ponram`s film!". sify.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Samantha, Sivakarthikeyan team up for first time". sify.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Sivakarthikeyan-Ponram film starts rolling from June 16". sify.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Ponram and Sivakarthikeyan on a hat-trick! | Tamil Movie News". Times of India. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Rajini Murugan director Ponram talks about his next film with Sivakarthikeyan". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Sivakarthikeyan's next film with Ponram starts rolling". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Simran and Napoleon join Sivakarthikeyan-Ponram film". sify.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Simran to play the antagonist in Sivakarthikeyan-Ponram film". sify.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Director Ponram talks about his next film with Sivakarthikeyan". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "55% shoot done for Sivakarthikeyan-Ponram film". sify.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Seema Raja Photo: Sivakarthikeyan unveils Soori's six pack for 'Seema Raja'". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Sivakarthikeyan-Keerthy Suresh's historical avatar". indiaglitz.com.
- From Korea to Poland, Indian films find new markets. Livemint. Retrieved on 2018-10-27.
- "Brighten up your new year with an ultimate family entertainment. #SeemaRaja this Tuesday at 6:30 PM on #SunTV #NewYearspecial SivaKarthikeyan Samantha Akkineni". facebook.com/SunTv. 28 December 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2019.