|• Total||9.69 km2 (3.74 sq mi)|
|Elevation||471 m (1,545 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2016)|
|• Density||400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Birrwil, Boniswil, Dintikon, Egliswil, Hallwil, Hilfikon, Meisterschwanden, Sarmenstorf, Seon, Villmergen|
The municipality has an area, as of 2009[update], of 9.69 square kilometers (3.74 sq mi). Of this area, 4.97 km2 (1.92 sq mi) or 51.3% is used for agricultural purposes, while 3.13 km2 (1.21 sq mi) or 32.3% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.33 km2 (0.51 sq mi) or 13.7% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.01 km2 (2.5 acres) or 0.1% is either rivers or lakes and 0.18 km2 (0.069 sq mi) or 1.9% is unproductive land.
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 9.3% and transportation infrastructure made up 2.6%. Out of the forested land, all of the forested land area is covered with heavy forests. Of the agricultural land, 35.6% is used for growing crops and 11.4% is pastures, while 4.3% is used for orchards or vine crops. All the water in the municipality is in rivers and streams. Of the unproductive areas, 1.7% is unproductive vegetation.
Coat of arms
Seengen has a population (as of December 2016[update]) of 3,854 As of June 2009[update], 8.4% of the population are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (1997–2007) the population has changed at a rate of 31.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (93.9%), with French being second most common ( 1.0%) and Albanian being third ( 1.0%).
The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Seengen is; 382 children or 11.7% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 435 teenagers or 13.3% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 357 people or 10.9% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 415 people or 12.7% are between 30 and 39, 610 people or 18.6% are between 40 and 49, and 466 people or 14.2% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 333 people or 10.2% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 161 people or 4.9% are between 70 and 79, there are 107 people or 3.3% who are between 80 and 89,and there are 12 people or 0.4% who are 90 and older.
As of 2000[update], there were 59 homes with 1 or 2 persons in the household, 420 homes with 3 or 4 persons in the household, and 439 homes with 5 or more persons in the household. As of 2000[update], there were 952 private households (homes and apartments) in the municipality, and an average of 2.6 persons per household. In 2008[update] there were 573 single family homes (or 42.7% of the total) out of a total of 1,343 homes and apartments. There were a total of 90 empty apartments for a 6.7% vacancy rate. As of 2007[update], the construction rate of new housing units was 26 new units per 1000 residents.
In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the SVP which received 38.8% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the FDP (21.7%), the SP (14.5%) and the Green Party (8.1%).
The historical population is given in the following table:
Heritage sites of national significance
There are four sites that are listed as a Swiss heritage site of national significance. These sites include two castles, Brestenberg Castle and Hallwyl Castle as well as the castle mill and on the shores of Lake Hallwil, the late-Bronze Age village at Risi.
As of 2007[update], Seengen had an unemployment rate of 1.2%. As of 2005[update], there were 105 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 28 businesses involved in this sector. 202 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 27 businesses in this sector. 571 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 88 businesses in this sector.
In 2000[update] there were 1,304 workers who lived in the municipality. Of these, 899 or about 68.9% of the residents worked outside Seengen while 421 people commuted into the municipality for work. There were a total of 826 jobs (of at least 6 hours per week) in the municipality. Of the working population, 10.2% used public transportation to get to work, and 52.1% used a private car.
From the 2000 census[update], 500 or 19.8% were Roman Catholic, while 1,578 or 62.5% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there were 4 individuals (or about 0.16% of the population) who belonged to the Christian Catholic faith.
In Seengen about 80.3% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the school age population (in the 2008/2009 school year[update]), there are 286 students attending primary school, there are 218 students attending secondary school, there are 191 students attending tertiary or university level schooling in the municipality. Seengen is home to the Schul und Gemeinde Bibliothek Seengen (school and municipal library of Seengen). The library has (as of 2008[update]) 8,758 books or other media, and loaned out 34,413 items in the same year. It was open a total of 250 days with average of 11 hours per week during that year.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2017
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (in German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 18-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bereich 01 -Bevölkerung (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 18-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bevölkerungsdaten für den Kanton Aargau und die Gemeinden (Archiv) (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau - Aargauer Zahlen 2009 (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- UNESCO World Heritage Site - Prehistoric Pile dwellings around the Alps
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance 21.11.2008 version, (in German) accessed 18-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau-Bereich 11 Verkehr und Nachrichtenwesen (in German) accessed 21 January 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office, list of libraries (in German) accessed 14 May 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Seengen.|