Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rathina Shiva|
|Produced by||Ishari K. Ganesh|
|Written by||Rathina Shiva|
|Music by||D. Imman|
|Edited by||Lawrence Kishore|
Vels Film International
Seeru (transl. Roar) is a 2020 Indian Tamil-language action film written and directed by Rathina Shiva. The film stars Jiiva, Navdeep, and Riya Suman in the lead roles, with Varun in a supportive role. D. Imman composes music for the film and the film is bankrolled by Ishari K. Ganesh under his production studio Vels Film International. Principal photography commenced on 4 December 2018. The film was released on 7 February 2020 and opened to mixed reviews.
- Jiiva as Manimaran
- Navdeep as Ashok Mithran
- Riya Suman as Vasuki
- Varun as Malli
- Sathish as Gopi
- Gayathri Krishnaa as Ilakkiya
- R. N. R. Manohar as MLA
Rathina Shiva who is known for his work in Rekka, initially had discussions with actor Silambarasan during March 2018 to team up for a film and reports revealed that STR liked the script of the director with speculations and buzz were created among the audience about the possible shooting of the film within few days following the announcement. However it was revealed that STR couldn't progress on the script due to other pending works and later the filmmakers roped in Jiiva to replace STR as the lead actor for the untitled film.
The shooting of the film commenced in December 2018 and the film was officially launched by Vijay Sethupathi. The filmmakers cast Riya Suman on her Tamil acting debut opposite Jiiva. Navdeep was hired into play the main role of antagonist. The film was titled as Seeru in January 2019.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||2 February 2020|
|Studio||D.Imman’s Sound Factory|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
|D. Imman chronology|
|1.||"Vaa Vasuki"||Viveka||Shivam Mahadevan||4:19|
|4.||"Kannaala Poduraaley"||Viveka, RJ Vijay||Nakash Aziz & RJ Vijay||4:36|
|5.||"Sevvanthiye (Female Version)"||Parvathy||Vaikom Vijayalakshmi||3:59|
|6.||"Ignite the Fire (Theme)" (Instrumental)||2:35|
Times of India wrote "Even though it starts off as a mass hero movie, Seeru turns out to be a solid masala movie that nicely balances sentiment and action". The Hindu wrote "Seeru comes across as a film that’s at least a decade old, in terms of its outdated presentation and over-the-top sequences [..] But the surprises within the traditional masala format, and an earnest performance by Jiiva, keep it engaging".
Cinema Express wrote "Making a ‘masala film’ doesn’t mean that one can sell anything and expect the audience to lap it up. The lack of coherence or effort in this film is blasphemous. And it is just disheartening to see able actors like Jiiva in such projects".
- Kumar, M. Bharat (30 January 2019). "Actor Jiiva is hero and Navdeep the villain in Rathina Siva's film". News Today | First with the news. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Rekka director Rathina Siva's next is with Jiiva". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "STR to team up with Rekka director?". Sify. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Rekka director clarifies about Simbu meeting". The New Indian Express. 27 March 2018. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "சிம்பு நடிக்க இருந்த படம் ஜீவாவுக்கு கைமாறியது!". samayam Tamil (in Tamil). 19 December 2018. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Vijay Sethupathi's sweet gesture to his 'Rekka' director". Sify. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- Adivi, Sashidhar (11 December 2018). "Riya Suman to make her Tamil debut". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Tollywood heroine Riya Suman to debut in Tamil opposite Jiiva". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Navdeep to play villain in Jiiva's next". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- Subramanian, Anupama (30 January 2019). "Navdeep plays the antagonist to Jiiva". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "'Seeru' Jiiva does a dishyum on Navdeep". The Hindu. 25 May 2019. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "Seeru Movie Review : A solid masala movie that nicely balances sentiment and action". The Times of India. 7 February 2020. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "'Seeru' movie review: A neat entertainer, despite the outdated 'commercial' presentation". The Hindu. 7 February 2020. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "Seeru Movie Review: Unintentionally funny". Cinema Express. Retrieved 10 February 2020.