Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
|Motto||Knowledge for Quality Health Services|
|Established||1 January 2015|
|Chancellor||Dr Zweli Mkhize|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Peter Mbati|
|Colours||Orange, Blue, White |
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) is a university in Pretoria North, Gauteng Province, South Africa. Its current incarnation was formed on 1 January 2015. Previously it was known as Medical University of South Africa (MEDUNSA) and later as a campus of the University of Limpopo. It is named after South African ANC leader Sefako Makgatho. Since its name-change, students have colloquially referred to the institution using the acronym of its current name ("SMU") in a similar fashion to manner in which they used the acronym "MEDUNSA" to refer to the institution prior to the change of name.
The Medical University of South Africa (MEDUNSA) was established in 1976 to provide medical education to black students, who were restricted from attending most medical schools in South Africa by the Apartheid government, with a few exceptions at segregated non-white-only medical schools.
The seat of the University is located at Ga-Rankuwa. The name change from MEDUNSA to Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) was one of the causes of the riots in August 2014. From 2005 to 2015, the University was a campus of the University of Limpopo, but it was separated following a review of the merger. The launch on 14 April 2015 was attended by President Jacob Zuma and Minister of Higher Education Blade Nzimande, with the President delivering the keynote address.
The following degree programmes are offered:
School of Medicine
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) (incl. ECP)
Master of Medicine – MMed (in various specialisations)
Master of Science in Clinical Psychology (MSc Clinical Psychology)
Doctor of Medicine (MD in General Surgery)
PhD (in various specialisations)
Bachelor of Diagnostic Radiography (BRad Diag)
School of Oral Health
Bachelor of Dental Sciences (BDS)
Master of Dentistry (MDent) (various specialisations)
PhD in Dentistry
Bachelor of Dental Therapy (BDT)
Bachelor of Oral Hygiene (BOH)
School of Pharmacy
Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm)
Master of Pharmacy (MPharm)
PhD in Pharmacy (PharmD)
Postgraduate Diploma (Hospital Pharmacy Management)
School of Health Care Sciences
Department of Nursing Sciences
Baccalaureus Curationis (BCur) (I et A)
Bachelor of Nursing Science Honours (in various specialisations)
Master of Nursing Science (in various specialisations)
PhD in Nursing Sciences
Diploma in Occupational Health Nursing
Advanced Diploma in Occupational Health Nursing
Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics
Bachelor of Science in Dietetics
Masters of Science in Dietetics
PhD in Dietetics
Department of Occupational Therapy
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Masters of Occupational Therapy
PhD in Occupational Therapy
Department of Physiotherapy
Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
Master of science in Physiotherapy(in various specialization)
PhD in Physiotherapy
Department of Speech Language Pathology and Audiology
Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
School of Science and Technology
Bachelor of Science, majoring in: Chemistry , Computer Science , Physiology , Psychology , Biology , Biochemistry , Physics , Mathematics and Applied Mathematics , Statistics
Extended Curriculum Programme (ECP) 4 years
Bachelor of Science Honours
Masters of Science
- "Medunsa to be split from University of Limpopo". Business Day Live.
- "SA: Sefako University to incorporate Medunsa Campus". africanbrains.net.
- "allAfrica.com: South Africa: Minister Blade Nzimande Launches Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, 14 Apr". allAfrica.com.
- ":University of Limpopo:". Ul.ac.za. Retrieved 2021-02-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Digby, Anne (2013). "Black Doctors and Discrimination under South Africa's Apartheid Regime". Medical History. 57 (2): 269–290. doi:10.1017/mdh.2012.106. PMC 3867842. PMID 24070349.
- Bhana, Surendra; Vahed, Goolam (January 2011). "'Colours Do Not Mix': Segregated Classes at the University of Natal, 1936–1959". Journal of Natal and Zulu History. 29 (1): 66–100. doi:10.1080/02590123.2011.11964165. hdl:10413/8121. S2CID 142593969.
- SAPA. "SABC News - Gauteng to open new university in 201517 May 2014". sabc.co.za.
- "Medunsa students receive death threats". The Citizen.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]