Sefton Novices' Hurdle
|Grade 1 race|
|Race type||Hurdle race|
|Distance||3m ½f (4,929 metres)|
|Qualification||Four-years-old and up|
|Weight||10 st 10 lb (4yo);
11 st 4 lb (5yo+)
7 lb for fillies and mares
|Thistlecrack||Vyta Du Roc||Our Kaempfer|
|Beat That||Cole Harden||Seeyouatmidnight|
|At Fishers Cross||Just A Par||Buachaill Alainn|
|Lovcen||Fingal Bay||Cotton Mill|
|Saint Are||Cantlow||Sparky May|
The Sefton Novices' Hurdle is a Grade 1 National Hunt hurdle race in Great Britain which is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run at Aintree over a distance of about 3 miles and 110 yards (4,929 metres), and during its running there are thirteen hurdles to be jumped. The race is for novice hurdlers, and it is scheduled to take place each year during the Grand National meeting in early April.
The event was established in 1988, and it was originally called the White Satin Novices' Hurdle. For a period it was classed at Grade 2 level. The race was given its present title in 1993, and it was promoted to Grade 1 status in 1995.
In recent years the Sefton Novices' Hurdle has usually featured horses which ran in the previous month's Spa Novices' Hurdle, and the last to achieve victory in both races was At Fishers Cross in 2013.
Leading jockey (3 wins):
- Tony McCoy – Unsinkable Boxer (1998), Black Jack Ketchum (2006), At Fishers Cross (2013)
- Barry Geraghty – Sackville (2000), Iris's Gift (2003), Beat That (2014)
Leading trainer (3 wins):
- David Nicholson – Barton Bank (1992), Corner Boy (1994), Forest Ivory (1997)
- Horseracing in Great Britain
- List of British National Hunt races
- Recurring sporting events established in 1988 – this race is included under its original title, White Satin Novices' Hurdle.
- Racing Post:
- aintree.co.uk – 2010 John Smith's Grand National Media Guide.
- pedigreequery.com – Sefton Novices' Hurdle – Aintree.