Sega development studios
||This article has no lead section. (May 2015)|
|Privately held, Subsidiary|
|Industry||Computer and video games|
|Headquarters||Japan, U.S., Europe|
|Toshihiro Nagoshi, Yuji Naka, Rikiya Nakagawa, Noriyoshi Oba, Hisao Oguchi, Yu Suzuki|
Sega has had in-house studios and subsidiary studios from 1983 to date. See also List of Sega software development studios
|Sega DD #1||Sega's original Japanese development studio, spun off in 1990.|
|Sega DD #2||Yu Suzuki|
|Sega DD #3||Rikiya Nakagawa||
Consumer development division
Shinobu Toyoda was the leader of Sega CD later known as AM8, and eventually Sonic Team. Under Toyoda's leadership, project designer Naoto Ohshima and lead programmer Yuji Naka pitched the idea of Sonic the Hedgehog as company mascot to Sega CEO, Hayao Nakayama. Yuji Naka became Studio head afterwards.
|Sega CD #1|
|Sega CD #2||Shinobu Toyoda||
|Sega CD #3||Noriyoshi Ohba||same as DD#3|
Sega reorganized and expanded upon their R&D studios, and the Consumer Divisions and Development Divisions were all now renamed to Sega-AM Teams (Amusement Machine Research & Development Teams).
The name "Sonic Team" has been used for AM8 since the inception of Sonic the Hedgehog in 1991. NiGHTS Into Dreams... was the first game to have the Sonic Team logo on the boxart, officially separating it from the Amusement Machine Research & Development teams.
In 1999, the original character designer of Sonic the Hedgehog, Naoto Ohshima left Sega along with other employees due to disagreements with Yuji Naka to where the future of the franchise is headed. Artoon was founded by Naoto Ohshima and has many former Sonic Team employees. Around the same time, Team Andromeda dissolved along with its lead Yukio Futatsugi leaving the company. Former Team Andromeda employees have since then worked at Artoon, AQ Interactive, Microsoft Studios Japan, Grounding Co. and Land Ho.
In 2000, Sega converted all their in-house studios into 2nd Party Studios, for more independency and a bigger focus on the consumer market by former arcade focused studios. Former AM5 head Tetsuya Mizuguchi formed his own studio by the name of United Game Artists. Several Team Andromeda members have joined Smilebit and United Game Artists.
In 2003, due to management disagreements, UGA-led Tetsuya Mizuguchi and the Rez team left Sega to found Q Entertainment. The rest of the UGA team consisted of Space Channel 5 developers was folded back into Sonic Team.
Hirokazu Yasuhara who was the lead designer and director of the original Sonic the Hedgehog games, left Sega in 2002 and joined Naughty Dog, with the last position being designer of Visual Concepts Floigan Bros..
General Entertainment R&D Division which is was formed by the merger of Sonic Team, United Game Artists, and Overworks. The two departments were led by Sonic Team and Overworks producers, such as Yuji Naka and Akira Nishino. In 2006, Yuji Naka went independent to form Prope. Akinori Nishiyama and then Takashi Iizuka replaced him as the Producer.
|GE1 R&D||Sonic Team + United Game Artists||
New Entertainment R&D Division is essentially the AM6 or Smilebit of before with sports titles. However, Toshihiro Nagoshi and his team were integrated due to moving outside the arcade division, and gaining large control in this division. Takayuki Kawagoe continues to have a Producer and Executive role as he had before in the AM6/Smilebit division.
|NE R&D||Amusement Vision + Smilebit|
|Sports R&D||Amusement Vision + Smilebit|
Amusement Software R&D Division which focuses on the development of games for arcade. The division is headed by Yu Suzuki, Hiroshi Kataoka, Atsushi Seimiya and Mie Kumagai. Networked arcade games that get continuously updated with users being able to save their file on ID cards, started to become a huge increase of focus, beginning with Virtua Fighter 4 in 2001.
|AM R&D||WOW Entertainment + Sega-AM2 + Hitmaker + Sega Rosso||
General Entertainment R&D Division changed its name to Consumer R&D Division, and New Entertainment R&D Division merged with Consumer R&D Division.
|CS1 R&D||same as before|
|CS2 R&D||same as before||
|CS3 R&D||same as before|
|Sports R&D||same as before|
|AM R&D||same as before||
Sega Networks focuses on development for smartphones and tablets.
|Department||Year of purchase/founding||Members from||Headed by||Titles|
|Sega Networks ||2012||Consumer R&D Division||Haruki Satomi||
|Department||Division||Year of purchase/founding||Notable titles|
|The Creative Assembly||Sega Europe||2005|
|Sports Interactive||Sega Europe||2006||
|Three Rings Design||Sega of America||2011|
|Hardlight Studio||Sega Europe||2012|
|Relic Entertainment||Sega of America||2013|
|Index (Atlus)||Sega of Japan||2013|
|Demiurge Studios||Sega of America||2015|
|Ignited Artists||Sega of America||2014|
Sega began contracting subsidiary studios in 1983.
|Westone Bit Entertainment|
|Sonic! Software Planning|
|Arc System Works|
|Crypton Future Media||
- Model 2 Emulator Dynamite Baseball 97 Demo. YouTube. 21 November 2008.
- Model 2 Emulator Sega Ski Super G Gameplay. YouTube. 4 August 2008.
- Harley Davidson & LA RIDERS Arcade Game PC Test - Harley-Davidson & L.A. Riders. YouTube. 22 February 2013.
- The Ocean Hunter Arcade Game - Full Playthrough (Sega Arcade Classic). YouTube. 8 February 2014.
- Model 2 Emulator Desert Tank Gameplay (Desert). YouTube. 20 August 2008.
- Digital Dance Mix . Sega Saturn .Intro and Gameplay. YouTube. 12 June 2007.
- Gunblade NY (Wii) - Full Playthrough （ガンブレードNY プレイ動画）. YouTube. 6 January 2012.
- Sega model 3 dirt devils gameplay. YouTube. 1 October 2013.
- Magical Truck Adventure Video Game Play. YouTube. 14 July 2011.
- Classic Game Room HD - L.A. MACHINEGUNS (Sega Arcade Hits Pack) for Wii review. YouTube. 2 September 2010.
- Sega Hikaru Brave FireFighters Opening + Demo + How to Play (Real Hardware, 720p Capture). YouTube. 16 September 2013.
- [HD] GAMETRONIK - SEGA STRIKE FIGHTER - NAOMI [DEMUL 0.5.6]. YouTube. 27 September 2010.
- Dog Walking Arcade Game. YouTube. 16 June 2007.
- [HD] GAMETRONIK - LUPIN THE 3RD : THE SHOOTING - NAOMI [DEMUL 0.5.6]. YouTube. 13 September 2010.
- virtua golf/ dynamic golf naomi demul 0.5.7 wip. YouTube. 18 March 2012.
- Game Nexus Arcade Video Lupin The 3rd The Typing (2002 Naomi GD-Rom) Original Real Hardware. YouTube. 26 February 2014.
- NAOMI The Maze of the Kings 初試玩. YouTube. 21 March 2013.
- Virtua Athlete 2K - Dreamcast. YouTube. 21 June 2007.
- Virtua NBA Demul 0.58 Gameplay. YouTube. 14 July 2013.
- Slashout (2000) by Sega - 1st stage gameplay on Demul. YouTube. 19 October 2008.
- [HD] GAMETRONIK - SOUL SURFER - NAOMI [DEMUL 0.5.7]. YouTube. 21 March 2012.
- Baseball Advance gameplay video (GBA). YouTube. 15 March 2007.
- "Candy Stripe". IGN.
- Quest of D - The Battle Kingdom (gameplay) 2/2. YouTube. 5 December 2009.
- "Ore no Buloggu". radio-weblogs.com.
- Manic Panic Ghost 2 Player High Score (With 1 person!!!) Part 2. YouTube. 26 January 2009.
- Rambo Arcade Gameplay - Full Playthrough. YouTube. 28 April 2014.
- Sega Lindbergh Harley Davidson: King of the Road Opening + Demo (Real Hardware, 720p Capture). YouTube. 15 April 2013.
- Hummer Extreme Edition Video Arcade SUV Driving Game - BMIGaming.com - Sega. YouTube. 4 May 2010.
- ATEI - Brick People. YouTube. 27 January 2009.
- Shining Force Cross Exlesia (gameplay). YouTube. 20 June 2013.
- MaiMai Arcade Machine Sega. YouTube. 14 May 2013.
- Transformers Human Alliance (gameplay). YouTube. 1 February 2014.
- The World of Three Kingdoms (trailer). YouTube. 15 January 2014.
- Wonderland Wars (trailer). YouTube. 12 March 2014.
- "Sega Networks". Andriasang.com. 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- SEGA CORPORATION (7 June 2012). "„Alexandria Bloodshow “". App Store.
- "Verbindung zum iTunes Store wird hergestellt.". apple.com.
- "SEGA Blog - Demon Tribe". sega.com.
- Sega America (29 June 2014). "„Dragon Coins, ein Coin Dozer-RPG“". App Store.
- SEGA CORPORATION (12 September 2013). "GO DANCE". App Store.
- SEGA CORPORATION. "チェインクロニクル◆本格シナリオRPG/チェンクロ - Android Apps on Google Play". google.com.