|Born||1993 (age 26–27)|
Segun Akinola (born 1993) is an English composer for television and documentaries. He took over from Murray Gold as the director and composer of the music for Doctor Who from 2018 for the eleventh series and twelfth series.
Akinola has British-Nigerian heritage. As a child he learned to play piano and drums. He is an alumnus of Bedford Modern School, and the Birmingham City University's Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, from where he graduated with first-class honours in 2014. He subsequently obtained an MA in Composing for Film and Television, at the National Film and Television School.
On 26 June 2018, Doctor Who executive producer Chris Chibnall announced that the musical score for the eleventh series of the programme would be provided by Akinola. Akinola returned to compose for the twelfth series.
He was named a BAFTA Breakthrough Brit in 2017.
His 'Dear Mr Shakespeare' score was given an Honourable Mention in the 2017 BSO Jerry Goldsmith Award for Best Original Score for a Short Film.
In 2019, Segun Akinola received a nomination at the Screen Nation Awards in the "Rising Star" category. He was nominated for his work on Black and British: A Forgotten History, Doctor Who, and Wonders of the Moon.
|GT4 Challenge of Great Britain Donington Park||Documentary short|
|2015||Shaun the Sheep the Movie Green Light to Opening Night||Documentary series|
|Vienna Ugly||Documentary short|
|A Moving Image||Film|
|Dear Mr Shakespeare: Shakespeare Lives|
|Panorama -The VIP Paedophile Ring: What's the Truth?||Documentary series|
|Black and British: A Forgotten History|
|Acta Non Verba||Documentary|
|The Human Body: Secrets of Your Life Revealed||TV series|
|Expedition Volcano||Documentary series|
|2018||Wonders of the Moon||Documentary|
|2018–present||Doctor Who||TV series, Series 11, Series 12|
- Martin, Dan (27 June 2018). "Who is Segun Akinola? The composer reinventing the Doctor Who theme". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- "Birmingham graduate is the sound of 'Doctor Who' - Royal Birmingham Conservatoire". Birmingham City University. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "OBMs Crowdfund for new film". Bedford Modern. 15 January 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- Jeffery, Morgan (26 June 2018). "Doctor Who series 11 composer has been revealed". Digital Spy. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "New series of Doctor Who to be scored by composer Segun Akinola". Doctor Who. 26 June 2018. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- O'Connor, Rory (20 February 2018). "Doctor Who: Bradley Walsh WON'T work with two big stars after they confirm their exits". Express. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Doctor Who Series 12 begins New Year's Day 2020". www.segunakinola.com. Retrieved 18 December 2019.
- Nolan, Peter (9 May 2019). "LISTEN: Doctor Who composer Segun Akinola on This Classical Life". Retrieved 18 December 2019.
- "BAFTA Announces Breakthrough Brits of 2017". BAFTA. 25 October 2017. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Screen Nation Hall Of Fame". www.screennation.org. Retrieved 2019-06-03.