|Native name||కుమార్ శేఖర్ కమ్ముల|
|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Sri Vidya Kammula|
|Children||Vandana Kammula, Vibhav Kammula|
|Awards||National Film Award|
Kumar Shekhar Kammula is an Indian film director, screenwriter and producer from Padmarao Nagar, known for his works exclusively in Telugu cinema. He is known for making films which are rare combination of aesthetic values and commercial success. They are considered to be path breaking. He is known as the instigator of the new wave of Telugu films. With an amazing ability to portray intricate details of human character and emotions amongst his cast in his movies, Kammula is being widely recognized as one of the finest directors to emerge in contemporary Telugu Cinema and has a huge fan following across most of NRI diaspora spread around the World. He started his film production company Amigos Creations Pvt Ltd in 1999 and directed most of his films under the same banner.
Kammula graduated in Mechanical Engineering from Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology(CBIT), completed his M.S(Computer Science) in the U.S. He worked in the IT industry for about 3 years and then joined a film school and got his M.F.A (Film) degree at Howard University, Washington D.C. During this time he worked on a number of films (short and feature length) in the U.S.
He made his directorial debut with the independent film Dollar Dreams (2000), which was a critical success, and won him the National Film Award for Best First film of a director. The film was screened at the International Film Festival of India. He garnered two filmfare Awards South, and six state Nandi Awards for his works. Sekhar was among the director's delegation to represent Indian Cinema at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival.
His second film, Anand, was a blockbuster in 2004. His next film, Godavari, was praised by critics and was a hit. Happy Days, which was released on 28 September 2007, was declared a smash hit. It was remade in Tamil and Kannada. He was a writer for Tamil version which was released in 2010. He then directed Leader released on 19 February 2010 to positive reviews. In 2016, Sekhar Kammula announced his Bollywood debut with a film starring Salman Khan.
He directed Anaamika , a Telugu remake of 2012 Bollywood hit Kahaani in which Nayantara played Vidya Balan's character. Sekhar Kammula is going to direct his first Hindi film which is a remake of Happy Days. The Hindi version will be produced by renowned film maker Shekhar Kapoor. The film will feature several new faces and Sekhar Kammula will start scouting for new faces in Mumbai and Pune, through the same process which he employed for the Telugu film. The screenplay for the film is being written by Mumbai-based writer Nikhil Mahajan. Shekhar Kammula's Fidaa turned out to be a blockbuster hit with 50+ crores gross in 10 days. Fidaa starring Varun Tej and Sai Pallavi. It is produced by Dil Raju. Sai Pallavi's Telangana dialect and own dubbing is very well received by Telugu audience.
|2000||Dollar Dreams||English, Telugu||Won national award in 1999.||Average|
|2004||Anand||Telugu||Also choreographer||Super Hit|
|2007||Happy Days||Telugu||Also choreographer||Blockbuster|
|2012||Life Is Beautiful||Telugu||Average|
|Anaamika||Telugu, Tamil||Also Screenplay||Average|
- Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film of a Director – Golden Lotus Award – Dollar Dreams (2000)
- 2004 – Nandi Award for Best Director – Anand
- 2004 – Nandi Award for Second Best Feature Film – Anand
- 2006 - Nandi Award for Second Best Feature Film – Godavari
- 2006 – Nandi Award for Best Director – Godavari
- 2007 – Nandi Award for Second Best Feature Film – Happy Days
- 2011 – Nandi Award for Best Story – Leader
- 2007 – Filmfare Best Film Award (Telugu) – Happy Days
- 2007– Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Happy Days
- Sangeetha Devi, Dundoo (12 August 2012). "Life & Style : Return to innocence". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Sekhar Kammula supports Samantha". The Times of India. 15 January 2017. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "47th National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "Kammula". Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- Prashanth Bhat (12 May 2011). "Sekhar Kammula at Cannes". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Sekhar Kammula made BollyWood Entry with Salman Khan". 25cineframes.com. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- Sarah Salvadore (22 May 2011). "Shekar calling Sekhar – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Varun Tej and Sai Pallavi's next film is titled 'Fidaa' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "Happy Days". Retrieved 18 September 2012.