Sekolah Seri Puteri
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
|Sekolah Seri Puteri
Ilmu Usaha Jaya
(Knowledge, Perseverance, Excellence)
Cyberjaya, Selangor, 63000
|Type||Public all-girls boarding school Sekolah Berasrama Penuh|
|Established||6 May 1968|
|Principal||Pn. Hajah Siti Rogayah Binti Yahya|
|Grades||Form 1 – Form 5|
|Number of students||approx 850|
|Medium of language||Malay, English|
|Classrooms||Pintar, Usaha, Tekun, Elit, Restu, Intelek|
|Colour(s)||Green and Red|
|Affiliations||Sekolah Berasrama Penuh, Ministry of Education (Malaysia)|
|Alumni||Persatuan Alumni Sekolah Seri Puteri (PUTERI)|
Sekolah Seri Puteri, also known as SSP, is an all-girls boarding school (Sekolah Berasrama Penuh) located in Cyberjaya, Selangor, Malaysia. In 2010, Sekolah Seri Puteri was awarded the prestigious Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi or High Performance School title. The school specialises in wind orchestra and basketball. In the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia 2013, the national examination taken by all fifth-year secondary school students in Malaysia, SSP obtained a grade value average of 1.26 (on a scale of 0-9 with 0 being the best).
Sekolah Seri Puteri was founded on 6 May 1968, and the original name was Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Perempuan Jalan Kolam Ayer (Female Secondary School of Jalan Kolam Ayer), Kuala Lumpur. It was established to provide secondary education for students from across Malaysia. Built on a 19-acre site at Jalan Kolam Ayer previously owned by a technical school, the school opened with 144 Form 4 students, 10 teachers, and three non-academics who assisted Puan Khalidah Adibah Amin, the first principal.
In 1969, the school started contracting teachers from Indonesia to fill vacancies in the science and mathematics departments. The first group of 102 Form 6 students was admitted in May 1971. Form 1 students were first admitted in 1975.
In 1975, pre-university matriculation courses from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia were first attended by 88 students. In 1976, the wind orchestra, Seri Puteri Winds, was formed by the third principal Puan Hajah Badiah Bt Hj, Abdul Manan, and the vice-principal Wilma Lesurf.
The school celebrated its tenth anniversary on 16 September 1978. At this event, the fourth school principal, Puan Zainab Bt Haji Mohd Yusop, officially named the school as Sekolah Seri Puteri, signifying "beauty, dignity, and leadership". The school emblem was also introduced in the same year.
On 1 May 2003, Sekolah Seri Puteri moved from Jalan Kolam Ayer to its current location in Cyberjaya. The grand opening of the new facility was held on 10 April 2007. Sultanah Nur Zahirah, the thirteenth Raja Permaisuri Agong of Malaysia, officiated at the opening.
Sekolah Seri Puteri occupies a 20-acre site in the Cyberjaya Flagship Zone on high ground overlooking an artificial lake, Putrajaya Lake. Development of Sekolah Seri Puteri began on 5 April 2001, with a total construction cost of RM 56 Million. Construction ended on 26 January 2003.
The school can accommodate up to 1,200 students along with 250 academic and support staff. The main building contains a large hall, recreation and sports facilities, classrooms, laboratories, and workshops blocks. The site also includes a student residence, a teachers residence, and a dining hall. A great hall holds 1,200 people, and a lecture hall seats 255 people.
Awards and recognition
In 2013, the school hosted the Fully Residential School International Symposium (FRSIS) with the theme "Go Green, Initiatives for the Future". The keynote speaker was the prime minister of Malaysia, Dato' Najib Razak.
Seri Puteri Winds
In 2011, the school's wind orchestra, Seri Puteri Winds (SP Winds), was featured in the flashmob-style reality programme Refleksi Orkestra in conjunction with Radio Televisyen Malaysia's golden jubilee concert, Orkestra RTM 50.
In 2013, SP Winds won the gold medal at the 24th Australian International Music Festival (AIMF2013) in Sydney. This accomplishment earned the school three entries in the Malaysian Book of Records:
- "first Malaysian government residential school to qualify for the Australian International Music Festival (AIMF)"
- "first Malaysian government residential school to play at the Sydney Opera House, Australia"
- "first Malaysian government residential school to win a gold medal in AIMF"
The alumni association of SSP is known as Persatuan Alumni Sekolah Seri Puteri (PUTERI).
- Vidya Prof. Dr. HJ Siraj Harlina Halizah (SRP & SPM 1983, Matrikulasi UKM 1985) – Head, Department of Medical Education, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre (PPUKM)
- Mastura Ma'asud – Lawyer
- Azlina Jamaluddin
- Dr. Sawiah Jusoh (1992) – Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Success Precession Wellbeing Ltd, Cardiff, United Kingdom.
- Safiah Atan – Senior Biotechnology Researcher, Malaysian Rubber Board
- Chapman, Karen (26 January 2010). "RM1mil among perks for high performance schools". The Star Online (Archives). Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad. Retrieved May 2014.
- "Improving Student Outcomes (Annual Report 2010)" (PDF). PEMANDU (Performance Management & Delivery Unit), Government Transformation Programme. Malaysia Prime Minister's Department. 2010. p. 121. Retrieved May 2014.
- "Senarai Ranking SBP Terbaik 2014 Keputusan SPM 2013". MELVISTER.COM. 20 March 2014. Retrieved May 2014.
- "Sejarah Penubuhan". Portal Rasmi: Sekolah Seri Puteri, Cyberjaya. Sekolah Seri Puteri. 15 April 2010. Retrieved May 2014.
- "History of establishment of Sekolah Seri Puteri". Sekolah Seri Puteri. WordPress. Retrieved May 2014.
- "Sekolah Seri Puteri – Berwajah elit, berkonsep milenium". Utusan ONLINE. Utusan Melayu (Malaysia) Berhad. 5 March 2003. Retrieved May 2014.
- "Pelajar berentap 'flashmob'". myMetro. Harian Metro. New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd. 25 May 2011. Retrieved May 2014.
- "Home page". Australian International Music Festival. World Projects South Pacific. Retrieved May 2014.
- "SP WINDS MENANG ANUGERAH EMAS DI AUSTRALIAN INTERNATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL (AIMF2013) DI SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA". Portal Rasmi: Sekolah Seri Puteri, Cyberjaya. Sekolah Seri Puteri. 18 July 2013. Retrieved May 2014.
- "Dr. Har's Biodata". A MUSLIM WOMAN DEFINED.... Blogger. 30 December 2013. Retrieved May 2014.
- "MAJLIS ANUGERAH CEMERLANG (MAC) KE-41". Portal Rasmi: Sekolah Seri Puteri, Cyberjaya. Sekolah Seri Puteri. 21 April 2012. Retrieved May 2014.
- Aqif Azizan. "Konvensyen Jutawan Muslim 2012". Aqif Azizan. WordPress. Retrieved May 2014.
- "Research & Innovation – Upstream – Biotechnology". Official Portal Malaysian Rubber Board Lembaga Getah Malaysia. 13 December 2010. Retrieved May 2014.