Selby and Ainsty (UK Parliament constituency)
|Selby and Ainsty|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Selby and Ainsty in North Yorkshire
Location of North Yorkshire within England
|Electorate||73,580 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Nigel Adams (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||Yorkshire and the Humber|
For 2010 the Boundary Commission recommended the creation of this seat following a review of parliamentary representation in York and North Yorkshire. The constituency was formed from the former Selby constituency, except for some villages near York which were moved to the new York Outer constituency, and rural areas south and east of Harrogate which were previously in the Vale of York constituency.
The constituency comprises:
- The entire District of Selby
- The electoral wards of Marston Moor, Ouseburn, Ribston and Spofforth with Lower Wharfedale in the Borough of Harrogate
- In statistics
The constituency consists of Census Output Areas of two local government districts with similar characteristics: a working population whose income is close to the national average and lower than average reliance upon social housing. At the end of 2012 the unemployment rate in the constituency stood as 2.2% of the population claiming jobseekers allowance, compared to the regional average of 4.7%. The district contributing to the bulk of the seat has a low 14.5% of its population without a car, 21.2% of the population without qualifications and a relatively high 26.1% with level 4 qualifications or above. In terms of tenure 75.0% of homes are owned outright or on a mortgage by occupants as at the 2011 census across the Selby district.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Yorkshire Party||Mike Jordan|
|Liberal Democrat||Katharine Macy|
|Liberal Democrat||Callum Delhoy||2,293||4.1||+0.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Nicola Turner||1,920||3.6||-14.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Tom Holvey||9,180||17.7||+7.7|
|English Democrat||Graham Glynn||677||1.3||N/A|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+9.7|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Local statistics - Office for National Statistics". www.ons.gov.uk.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- "2011 census interactive maps". Archived from the original on 29 January 2016.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 2)
- "Yorkshire Party announces first candidates". Yorkshire Party. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- "Selby District Council: Notice of Poll"
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Selby & Ainsty". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "UK > England > Yorkshire & the Humber > Selby & Ainsty". BBC News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 14 May 2010.