This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||NASDAQ: SNBR|
S&P 600 Component
|Headquarters||Plymouth, Minnesota, U.S. (Minneapolis, Minnesota starting in 2018) Ph: (763) 551-7000|
Number of locations
|569 (Sept 2018)|
|Bill McLaughlin, Pete Bils, Shelly Ibach (CEO)|
|Products||Sleep Number Smart Bed adjustable mattresses and bedding|
Number of employees
Sleep Number is a U.S.-based manufacturer that manufactures the Sleep Number and Comfortaire beds as well as foundations and bedding accessories. The company is based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In addition to its Minnesota headquarters, Select Comfort has manufacturing and distribution facilities in South Carolina and Utah. As of 2015, the company employed 3,098 people across the United States.
In 1980, the category of adjustable air-supported sleep systems was invented by a private company, Comfortaire Corporation, of South Carolina Bob Walker left Comfortaire and formed a new company in 1987 called Select Comfort. Select Comfort acquired the Comfortaire Corporation, a major competitor, in January 2013. In March 2017, Select Comfort announced that they would no longer offer, the Comfortaire lineup of Air Beds, to their third party retailers/dealers. Select Comfort Corporation, in November 2017, changed their corporate name to Sleep Number Corporation.
The company's TV commercials used to feature actress Lindsay Wagner. Other endorsers include conservative radio talk show hosts Glenn Beck, Paul Harvey and Laura Ingraham; Rush Limbaugh also previously advertised the product, but the company pulled its advertising in the wake of the Rush Limbaugh–Sandra Fluke controversy.
Sleep Number was founded in 1987 as Select Comfort by Robert "Bob" Walker and his wife JoAnn Walker. In 2014, Bob Walker was convicted by a jury of fraud, tax evasion, witness tampering and conspiracy for repeatedly misleading investors about the prospects for success of an alternative energy company he founded, Bixby Energy. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison.
As of December 2011[update], Sleep Number holds 23 issued or pending U.S. patents and 40 issued or pending foreign patents for its products. Select Comfort products are sold through 569 company-owned stores located across the United States; direct marketing operations; and online at sleepnumber.com. The current CEO is Shelly Ibach. In September 2017, According to the Global Mattress Toppers market research report Sleep Number was one among the major key players of Mattress Toppers market.
Sleep Number Bed
The company's signature product is the Sleep Number bed, an adjustable air mattress. The "Sleep Number setting" is a setting that adjusts the firmness of the mattress, adjusted by air pressure, with higher numbers (up to 100) denoting higher pressure and more firmness. In addition, each side of full size and larger beds has its own chamber to allow for separate adjustment. There are different models of Sleep Number beds with various features, and Select Comfort has introduced a memory foam version of the Sleep Number mattress as well.
- Alexander, Steve (February 8, 2012). "Select Comfort dials up surprising profit growth". Star Tribune. Archived from the original on April 1, 2012.
- "Select Comfort Corporation Form 10-K". Securities and Exchange Commission. 2011.
- "Select Comfort moving headquarters to downtown Minneapolis". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2018-10-27.
- "Comfortaire History".
- "Select Comfort buys Comfortaire in $15.5 million deal – Furniture Today". furnituretoday.com.
- Select Comfort to close Comfortaire, Third Party Retail Business.
- "Select Comfort Changes Name to Sleep Number". Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "Select Comfort – Simple Solution". YouTube. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- "Rush Limbaugh in hot water with sponsors after 'slut' remark". MSNBC. March 2, 2012. Archived from the original on May 1, 2012.
- "Judge sentences ex-CEO to 25 years in Bixby fraud". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Global Mattress Toppers Market Data Survey Report 2025". Market.Biz. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- Simpson, James. "Global Mattress Toppers Market 2017: Select Comfort Corporation, Serta, Tempur-Pedic, Sealy and Simmons | Reporter Day - Daily News Updates". reporterday.com. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- "Sleep Number Review".