|Traded as||NASDAQ: SIGI|
S&P 600 Component
|Industry||Property and casualty insurance|
|Headquarters||Branchville, New Jersey, United States|
|Gregory E. Murphy|
Chairman of the Board, President, CEO
|Revenue||US$468.9 million (Q2 2013)|
|US$23.8 million (Q2 2013)|
|US$27.1 million (Q2 2013)|
|Total assets||US$6.1 Billion (Q2 2013)|
|Total equity||US$1.1 Billion (Q2 2013)|
Number of employees
Selective Insurance Group, Inc. is a primary holding company for 10 property-casualty insurance companies ranked “A” by A.M. Best, known as “Selective.” Selective, originally founded in 1926, now provides personal, business, auto, excess and surplus lines, and flood insurance. By partnering with independent agencies, Selective delivers its property-casualty insurance products to customers in twenty-six states, while also serving customers in all 50 states through the National Flood Insurance Program and excess and surplus. Selective is the 36th-largest P&C insurance group in the United States. It also is the fifth-largest provider of “Write Your Own” flood insurance coverage through NFIP. Selective’s corporate headquarters is located in Branchville, New Jersey.
Customers are able to access policy information and payment options online, through the mobile app, and via their independent insurance agent. Selective focuses on customer experience and offers 24/7 claims handling.
Selective’s founder, D.L.B. Smith, started his business career in the 1920s with a small chain of general stores in Sussex County, NJ. Smith sometimes lent a horse and carriage to one of his friends, a banker and insurance agent. On one of these occasions, the horse ran away and wrecked the carriage. D.L.B. refused to take any remuneration, but when the agent moved from the area, he gave Smith some policy declarations for farms and homes he had insured through his agency. The new D.L.B. Smith Agency was set up in the front window of his Branchville store. He soon became dissatisfied with the metropolitan carriers who were servicing his rural clients and decided that a local insurance company would offer better rates and service. So he started one. With a $20,000 investment, Smith and several colleagues started Selected Risks Insurance Company in 1926.
Over the following years, the business developed a strong emphasis on customer service.
- 1929: Selected Risks Fire Insurance Company was formed to provide material damage and property fire coverages.
- 1931: The company expanded coverages to include general liability, workers compensation, property and municipal government insurance.
- 1944: RI, CT, and WV were added to the company’s footprint.
- 1958: Selected Risks Indemnity Company and Selected Risk Fire Insurance Company merged to form the Selected Risks Insurance Company.
- 1979: The Young Agents Committee of the Independent Insurance Agents of New Jersey named the company “Insurance Company Most Respected and Admired.”
- 1984: The company began issuing flood policies on behalf of the federal government.
- 1986: The company changed its name to Selective Insurance Company of America.
- 1987: Selective was awarded “Company of the Year”, along with other accolades, from the Professional Insurance Agents of New Jersey and the National Association of Professional Insurance Agents.
- 1997-98: The company expanded into Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin.
- 2011: Selective acquired two excess and surplus operations: Alterra Capital Holdings Limited and MUSIC, to form Mesa Underwriters Specialty Insurance Company.
- 2016: Selective celebrated 90 years in business.
Selective's Affiliated Insurers
- Selective Insurance Company of America
- Selective Insurance Company of New England
- Selective Insurance Company of New York
- Selective Insurance Company of South Carolina
- Selective Insurance Company of the Southeast
- Selective Way Insurance Company
- Selective Auto Insurance Company of New Jersey
- Mesa Underwriters Specialty Insurance Company
- Selective Casualty Insurance Company
- Selective Fire and Casualty Insurance Company
- "Selective Insurance Group Reports Second Quarter 2013 Earnings" (PDF). Selective Insurance Corporation. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Our Story". www.selective.com. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
|This article on an insurance company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|