Leyva at the 2014 Peabody Awards.
May 26, 1972 |
Life and career
Leyva was born in Baracoa, Cuba and raised in the Bronx, New York City, of Cuban and Dominican descent. She has appeared in a number of Off-Broadway productions. On television, Leyva had a recurring role of Detective Mariluz Rivera in Law & Order, and also appeared in different roles on the show and on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. She has guest-starred on Third Watch, The Sopranos, The Good Wife, Girls, and Elementary.
In 2013, Leyva began starring as Gloria Mendoza, a Latina leader in the jail, in the Netflix comedy-drama series Orange Is the New Black. Her character was recurring for the first two seasons and she was promoted to series regular in Season 3. In 2015, she co-starred opposite Viola Davis and Catalina Sandino Moreno in the courtroom drama film Custody directed and written by James Lapine.
|2004||Maria Full of Grace||Customs Inspector|
|2009||Don't Let Me Drown||Sonia|
|2009||Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs||Additional Voices||Voice|
|2010||Sex and the City 2||Teacher|
|2010||Trouble Child||Trouble Child||Short film|
|2011||Man in the Mirror||Sonia||Short film|
|2012||Ice Age: Continental Drift||Additional Voices||Voice|
|2014||Living with the Dead||Dr. Quenda|
|2015||Chapter & Verse||Yolanda|
|2016||I Can I Will I Did||Maria|
|2017||Spider-Man: Homecoming||Ms. Warren|
|1999||Law & Order||Louisa||Episode: "Refuge: Part 2"|
|1999||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Lorinda Gutierrez||Episode: "Hysteria"|
|2001||The $treet||Kate||Episode: "Junk Bonds"|
|2001||Law & Order||DeeDee Salazar||Episode: "Sunday in the Park with Jorge"|
|2001||Taina||Titi Rose||Recurring role, 6 episodes|
|2001||100 Centre Street||Delfina Romero||Episodes: "Kids: Part 1" and "Kids: Part 2"|
|2002||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Isabella Costas||Episode: "Homo Homini Lupis"|
|2003||Third Watch||Phyllis||Episode: "Goodbye to All That"|
|2004||Third Watch||Gonzalez||Episode: "Leap of Faith"|
|2004||Law & Order||Nita Cabrera||Episode: "Veteran's Day"|
|2005||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Warden's Secretary||Episode: "Prisoner"|
|2004–2006||Law & Order||Detective Mariluz Rivera||Recurring role, 18 episodes|
|2006||The Sopranos||Jill Dibiaso||Episode: "Live Free or Die"|
|2007||Dirty Sexy Money||Detective Angelina Adams||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2008||New Amsterdam||Susan Boyle||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2010||Law & Order||Rona Henderson||Episode: "Boy on Fire"|
|2010||The Good Wife||Marisol||Episode: "Doubt"|
|2010||The Whole Truth||Claudia||Episode: "Liars"|
|2011||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Detective Mariluz Rivera||Episode: "Icarus"|
|2011||Person of Interest||Hosking||Episode: "Number Crunch"|
|2011–2012||Blue Bloods||Assistant M.E. Craig||Recurring role, 4 episodes|
|2012||Girls||Chastity||Episode: "Hannah's Diary"|
|2012||Elementary||Sara Castillo||Episode: "Child Predator"|
|2013||The Following||Detective Morales||Episode: "Chapter Two"|
|2013–present||Orange Is the New Black||Gloria Mendoza||Recurring role (Seasons 1-2), Series regular (Season 3-)
ALMA Award for Outstanding Special Achievement in Television (2014)
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series (2015–2016)
|2015||Nuestra Belleza Latina 2015||Herself||Celebrity guest (8th Gala)|
|2015||Madam Secretary||Bolivian Ambassador Mariana Dominguez||Episode: "The Time Is at Hand"|
|2015||Veep||Governor Ramos||Episode: "B/ill"|
- "Selenis Leyva Explains Why 'Orange Is The New Black' Is A Huge Step For Latinas". Huffingtonpost.com. 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Lortel Archives-The Internet Off-Broadway Database". Lortel.org. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Nick Sandow & Selenis Leyva Upped To Regulars On 'Orange Is The New Black'; Damon Wayans Jr. On 'New Girl'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "TV Casting News For Selenis Leyva, Jocko Sims, Damon Wayans Jr, RZA|Shadow and Act". Blogs.indiewire.com. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "'OITNB' Star Selenis Leyva Says Gloria Will 'Come Undone' In Season 3". The Huffington Post. 2015-06-11. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Serico, Chris (May 11, 2015). "'Orange is the New Black' star attends prom for ill teens - TODAY.com". Today. NBC. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- Leyva, Selenis (June 3, 2015). "What Caitlyn Jenner's Vanity Fair Cover Sparked For Me As Sister of Trans Woman | Selenis Leyva". The Huffington Post. AOL. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- Nunez, Alanna (June 15, 2015). "Orange Is the New Black Star Selenis Leyva on Gloria, Motherhood, and Talking About Sex with Her Daughter". Cosmopolitan. Hearst Corporation. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- Erazo, Vanessa (June 3, 2015). "'Orange is the New Black' Actress Reveals Her Sister Is a Transgender Woman?". Remezcla. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Selenis Leyva.|