Selkie (Dungeons & Dragons)
|Source books||3E Fiend Folio, Monstrous Compendium Volume 1, 1E Monster Manual 2, Monstrous Manual, Dragon#41|
The selkie appeared in second edition in the Monstrous Compendium Volume One (1989), and reprinted in the Monstrous Manual (1993) with the leader selkie. The star selkie appeared for the Spelljammer setting in the Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix II (1991).
A selkie is usually neutral in alignment. Selkies live in the water, but their intense curiosity towards land-dwellers leads them to explore life on the surface.
Selkies are indistinguishable from normal humans when in their humanoid form, but can assume the seal form at will (they have full control over their shapeshifting). Any garments they are wearing become part of their body when they do so. Selkies attack with whatever weapons they have when in their humanoid form, but prefer to avoid combat (or, if they are forced to defend themselves, use their natural bite weapon) when in seal form. Selkies hate sahuagin because of the latter's universally aggressive and imperialistic tendencies. Aquatic elves' relationship with selkies is not well known. Selkies speak Aquan and Common.
Sometimes a human male will take a selkie as his bride.
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual II (TSR, 1983)
- Cook, David, et al. Monstrous Compendium Volume One (TSR, 1989)
- Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- Varney, Allen, ed. Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix II (TSR, 1991)
- Cagle, Eric, Jesse Decker, James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Matt Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and James Wyatt. Fiend Folio (Wizards of the Coast, 2003)
|This Dungeons & Dragons article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|