This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Crowdfunding / Music|
|Available in||English, German, Japanese|
|Created by||Johan Vosmeijer, Dagmar Heijmans|
|Registration||Required for buying parts, not required for listening|
|Launched||August 2006 / Bankrupt Feb 2010 / Relaunched Feb 2010|
Sellaband was a music website that allowed artists to raise the money from their fans and the SellaBand community in order to record a professional album. Sellaband used the mechanisms of crowdfunding and was to be seen as a Direct-to-Fan/fan-funded music platform utilising a Threshold Pledge System / Provision Point Mechanism. It was set up by Johan Vosmeijer (ex Sony/BMG), Pim Betist (ex Shell), and Dagmar Heijmans (ex Sony/BMG) in August 2006. Its offices used to be located in Amsterdam, Netherlands, but it was originally incorporated in Bocholt, Germany.
In early 2009, Pim Betist left Sellaband to set up Africa Unsigned, using Sellaband technology as a base and supported by the Dutch government.
In January 2010, Sellaband filed for Bankruptcy. It relaunched days later, after an investor stepped forward. The office was relocated to Munich, Germany. On August 28, 2015, the Sellaband GmbH filed for Bancrupty, too. This was rejected because of lack of mass by the District Court Charlottenburg on January 12, 2016.
For three years, Sellaband supported the sharing of revenue, a form of equity crowdfunding. Research from the Journal of Economics & Management Strategy examined investment data on the Sellaband platform during this time period. The data shows that, while investments can come from funders around the world, distance continues to affect the flow of funding and information.
- Pfauth, Ernst-Jan (2008-04-08). "Sellaband closes a round of € 3.5 million funding for international expansion". the Next web. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- Butcher, Mike (2008-04-08). "SellaBand wins $5 million in Series A". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- Sellaband Archived 2008-04-12 at the Wayback Machine
- "Africa Unsigned - Brands, Bands & Fans". africaunsigned.com.
- Van Buskirk, Eliot (2010-02-24). "Bankrupt, Crowd-Funded SellaBand Acquired by German Investors". Wired.
- News - A little message Archived 2013-05-28 at the Wayback Machine. Sellaband. Retrieved on 2013-09-21.
- Agrawal, Ajay, Christian Catalini, and Avi Goldfarb. "Crowdfunding: Geography, Social Networks, and the Timing of Investment Decisions." Journal of Economics & Management Strategy Summer 2015 24.2 (2015): 253-74.
- BBC Radio 2 Interview (The Weekender with Matthew Wright - 3 November 2006)
- The Times (UK): Knowledge Section (26 November 2006)
- Official website (offline)