Sellwood, Portland, Oregon
Sellwood Park along the Willamette River
|• Association||Sellwood Moreland Improvement League (SMILE)|
|• Coalition||Southeast Uplift Neighborhood Program|
|• Total||1.81 sq mi (4.68 km2)|
|• Density||5,800/sq mi (2,200/km2)|
|• No. of households||5159|
|• Occupancy rate||96% occupied|
|• Owner-occupied||2682 households (52%)|
|• Renting||2477 households (48%)|
|• Avg. household size||2.03 persons|
Sellwood-Moreland is a neighborhood on a bluff overlooking the Willamette River in Southeast Portland, Oregon, bordering Westmoreland to the north, Eastmoreland to the east, and the city of Milwaukie to the south. The neighborhood is linked to Southwest Portland across the Willamette by the Sellwood Bridge, the southernmost of Portland's bridges.
Sellwood originated as an independent city, as a rival of nearby early Portland on the 1,320-acre (5.3 km2) Donation Land Claim of Reverend John Sellwood, who sold the claim in 1882 to the Sellwood Real Estate Company. The town of Sellwood was incorporated by the Oregon Legislative Assembly on February 25, 1889. It was annexed by the city of Portland in 1893.
Sellwood has an amusement park named Oaks Park along the river. A bike trail next to railroad tracks above the river is accessible from Sellwood, and links Milwaukie and downtown Portland. The Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge was established in 1988 and has allowed the preservation and protection of numerous species. Walking trails go through the park, traversing woods, meadow and marshland.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2019)
- Demographics (2000)
- Snyder, Eugene E.. Portland Names and Neighborhoods: Their Historic Origin. Portland: Binford & Mort, 1979. p. 202.
- Baker, Frank C. (1891). "Special Laws". The Laws of Oregon, and the Resolutions and Memorials of the Sixteenth Regular Session of the Legislative Assembly Thereof. Salem, Oregon: State Printer: 1007.
- Media related to Sellwood, Portland, Oregon at Wikimedia Commons
- PDF map
- Guide to Sellwood-Moreland Neighborhood - PortlandNeighborhood.com's Sellwood-Moreland page
- The Sellwood Bee - Sellwood's local paper
- Share-It Square - A City Repair Project intersection repair
- Sellwood-Moreland Street Tree Inventory Report