Selsø is a historic manor house located near Skibby 14 km (8.7 mi) south of Frederikssund on the Danish island of Zealand. The estate was first mentioned in 1288. The manor originated in 1576 and was renovated in the Baroque style in 1734. The recently restored building is now a museum.
First mentioned in 1288 when it belonged to the Diocese of Roskilde, the original Selsø was probably a defensive building located close to Selsø Church, overlooking the lake which was then part of Roskilde Fjord. The estate remained under the ownership of Roskilde until the Reformation after which it was bought by Corfitz Ulfeldt in 1559. On his death in 1563, his brother Jacob Ulfeldt (1535–1593) acquired the property. By 1576, he had completed his manor. Apparently designed by a Dutch architect, possibly Hans Hendrik van Paesschen, it had tall turrets and decorative gables.
After several new owners in the intervening years, the estate was purchased by Christian Ludvig Scheel von Plessen (1702–1752), one of the country's most prosperous landowners. From 1728 to 1734, the Renaissance manor was adapted to the Baroque style and has not been substantially altered since. In 1829, the last occupant of the property, Agathe von Qualen, died. As her heirs were not interested in the estate, the manor's furniture was auctioned off and the house was left unattended for 144 years.
The building soon fell into a sorry state as uninvited visitors plundered its remaining assets. Even the magnificent reception hall was used as storage space for corn. Salvation came in 1972 when thanks to the writers Grethe and Bernhard Linder initiated the manor's restoration. The restoration work was successfully conducted over the following 25 years earning them wide recognition including the Europa Nostra award. Known as the Selsø-Lindholm estate, the property now belongs to the Plessenske Selsø Foundation.
Open to visitors
The manor is open to visitors 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day except Monday from May to mid-September. Selsø also arranges a series of events and festivities throughout the year. Concerts are also held in the main hall.
- "Selsø" (in Danish). Den Store Danske. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Selsø Slots Historie" (in Danish). Selsø. Archived from the original on 19 June 2014. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Selsø Slot er et flot og helstøbt historisk byggeri og et fint minde om den danske herregårdskultur. Og så gemmer slottet på mange historier ..." (in Danish). Visit Frederikssund. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Åbningstider" (in Danish). Selsø. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Arrangementer" (in Danish). Selsø. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Koncertprogram" (in Danish). Selsø. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- Official site in Danish