|Time zone||IST (UTC+05:30)|
Sembanarkoil (formerly Semponnarkoil) is a panchayat town in Tranquebar taluk in Nagapattinam district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The town is located in the historic Thanjavur area on the banks of the river Cauvery.
Sembanarkoil lies on the shores of the Bay of Bengal between Northern Latitude 10.7906 degrees and 79.8428 Degrees Eastern Longitude. The general geological formation of the district is plain and coastal. The Cauvery and its offshoots are the principal rivers.
The marine land or coastal land has plain lands except for few sand dunes. However there is a general tilt from coastal line to inland area. The most important feature of the district is the Cauvery River spread over with its numerous branches.
Sembanarkoil is a well connected with other villages in the taluk, such as Vallam, Arupahty, Melapathy, Tiruchampalli, Kalahasthinapuram, Maharajapuram.
Agriculture is the main activity in this area as this is a cultivation rich land. Rice, cotton, black gram, bengal gram, coconut, banana, and sugarcane are such main products.
The average maximum temperature for the district (from 1991 to 1996)as a whole is about 32.460 C and the average minimum temperature is 24.750C.
Dust Storms, whirl winds and dusty winds blow from various quarters towards the end of May. The Southwest wind sets in during April, it is the strongest in June and continues till September. Cyclonic storms with varying wind velocity affects once in 3 or 4 years during the month of November–December. The Northeast monsoon is accompanied by winds which can affect crops, but during Southwest monsoon the air is calm and undisturbed.
The Northeast monsoon, which starts in October and ends in December, contributes about 60% of the total annual rainfall. The Southwest monsoon rains from June to September and from March to May accounts equally for the rest of the annual rainfall. The monthly average rainfall in the district was 108.87 mm in 1991-96.
- Swarnapurieswarar Templealso known as big temple, is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The architecture and the design of this temple also an example of the chola architecture. Surya pooja is famous in this temple. The rays from the sun fall directly on the lord during the days. People from all over south gathered to participate in this pooja.
- Shanmuga Subramaniaswamy Temple also known as Kumaran koil, is a temple dedicated to Lord Murugan. The Thai poosam festival is famous in this temple. The devotees have the habit of carrying different types of kavadi (Alagu kavadi, Paal kavadi, paneer kavadi, puspa kavadi) during the time of thai poosam. Nadaswaram and Tavil vidwans in and around south India gather here on the Thai Poosam day and dedicate their performance to Lord Murugan.
- Sengaluneer Vinayagar Temple also known as Kini Pilayar Koil, is a temple dedicated to Lord Ganesh. This temple is famous for the Vinayagar Chaturthi festival. Also every Sangadahara Sathurthi vilaku pooja is famous in this temple.
- AadhiNarayana Perumal TempleIt is deticated to Lord Vishnu. This temple is famous for Yagadesi festival, during this festival Garuda Vaganam seva is popular. Lord Vishnu came up in the Garuda vagaman for veethi ulla.
- Vaithyanathaswamy Temple also known as Vaitheeswarankoil is a temple dedicated to Lord Murugan as Selvamuthukumaran Lord Shiva Lord Parvathy as Thayalnayaki Mars - ANGARAKAN. The temple complex houses many astrologers employing a method of fortune telling called NADI Jyothidam.
- Sri Sakthi Vinayagar Temple - Lord Ganapathy blessing us With Sri Lakshmi.This Temple In Vaikangari Street(Note:-Walk able distance from sembanrkiol Keelamukutu Bud Stand.
- Amirthavalli sametha Thirukuzhambeeswarar Temple: Just in 3km from Sembanarkoil situated in Mudikandanallur.
- Thirupariyalur: one of the 8 (asta veeraettu thalam) temples of God Shiva's Samharam
- City Union Bank, Sembanarkoil.
- Canara Bank, Sembanarkoil.
- Primary Agriculture Cooperative bank, Sembanarkoil.
- Axis Bank
- Kalaimahal College of Education, Sembanarkoil.
- Sambandam Higher Secondary School, Sembanarkoil.
- Kalaimahal Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sembanarkoil.
- NAPAC Matriculation School, Sembanarkoil.
- Aided Middle School, Sembanarkoil.
- Aided Primary School, Sembaanrkoil.
- Govt Girls Higher Secondary School, Sembanarkoil.
- Modern Matriculation School, Sembanarkoil.
- Panchayath union primary school, Sembanarkoil.
- CSS Computer Education, Sembanarkoil.
- Nallathambi pattammal charity
- "PinCode: Akkur, Nagapattinam". PINcode.net.in. Retrieved 2012-05-12.