Semenic-Caraș Gorge National Park
|Semenic-Caraș Gorge National Park|
|Parcul Național Semenic-Cheile Carașului|
|Location||Caraş-Severin County |
|Area||35,664.80 hectares (88,129.6 acres)|
|Website||(in Romanian) www.pnscc.ro|
The Semenic-Caraș Gorge National Park (Romanian: Parcul Naţional Semenic-Cheile Caraşului) is a protected area (national park category II IUCN) situated in southwest Romania, in Caraş-Severin County.
Semenic-Caraș Gorge National Park with an area of 35,664.80 ha was declared protected area by the Law Number 5 of March 06, 2000 (published in Romania Official Paper Number 152 on April 12, 2000) and represents a mountainous area (canyons, caves, pit caves, sinkholes, ridges, valleys, pasture, forests) that shelters a large variety of flora and fauna, some endemic species (the Semenic flower, Anntenaria dioica) or very rare species.
Protected areas included in the park: Caraș Gorge (2988.67 ha), Groposu (883,60 ha), Bârzavița (3.406,90 ha), Buhui-Mărgitaș (979 ha), Gârliște Gorge(582.18 ha), Caraș Springs (1384.06 ha), Nera Springs (5012.32 ha), Buhui Cave (217.64 ha), Comarnic Cave (26.9 ha), Popovăț Cave(4.5 ha) and Răsuflătoarei Cave (1,10 ha).
The park contains one of the largest areas of virgin beech forests in Europe in Izvoarele Nerei reserve.
- European route E70-București – Craiova – Drobeta-Turnu Severin – Orşova – Topleţ – National road DN6 – Mehadia
- eunis.eea.europa.eu – Semenic-Cheile Caraşului National Park – coords; retrieved on June 06, 2012
- protectedplanet.net – Semenic-Cheile Caraşului National Park – location; retrieved on June 06, 2012
- (in Romanian) apmcs.anpm.ro – Agenţia pentru Protecţia Mediului Caraş-Severin; retrieved on June 09, 2012
- (in Romanian) cdep.ro - Legea Nr.5 din 6 martie 2000; retrieved on June 09, 2002
- (in Romanian) Zone de conservare; retrieved on March 22, 2017