This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The semiconductor industry is the aggregate collection of companies engaged in the design and fabrication of semiconductor devices. It formed around 1960, once the fabrication of semiconductors became a viable business. It has since grown to be a $335.2 billion industry in 2015.
The global semiconductor industry is dominated by USA, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, and European Union. The U.S. industry faces challenges to development by some forms of government regulation. The U.S. government regulates exports and certain uses of some types of semiconductors due to their potential dual use in military applications.
Based on a KPMG report it was a $304 billion market.
|Company||Country of origin||Revenue
|2012/2011 changes||Market share|
|1||1||1||1||Intel Corporation||United States||$47,543||-2.4%||15.7%|
|2||2||2||2||Samsung Electronics||South Korea||$30,474||+6.7%||10.1%|
|4||3||4||4||Texas Instruments||United States||$12,008||-14.0%||4.0%|
|6||5||5||9||Renesas Electronics (1)||Japan||$9,430||-11.4%||3.1%|
|8||7||7||5||STMicroelectronics||France / Italy||$8,453||-13.2%||2.8%|
|10||9||8||13||Micron Technology (2)||United States||$6,955||-5.6%||2.3%|
This industry features a number of distinct characteristics that position it uniquely in the economy and in the global competitive arena. These include:
- The role of the industry as technology enabler. The semiconductor industry is widely recognized as a key driver for economic growth in its role as a multiple lever and technology enabler for the whole electronics value chain. In other words, from a worldwide base semiconductor market of $213 billion in 2004, the industry enables the generation of some $1,200 billion in electronic systems business and $5,000 billion in services, representing close to 10% of world GDP.
- Continuous growth but in a cyclical pattern with high volatility. While the current 20 year annual average growth of the semiconductor industry is on the order of 13%, this has been accompanied by equally above-average market volatility, which can lead to significant if not dramatic cyclical swings.
- The need for high degrees of flexibility and innovation in order to constantly adjust to the rapid pace of change in the market. Many products embedding semiconductor devices often have a very short life cycle. At the same time, the rate of constant price-performance improvement in the semiconductor industry is staggering. As a consequence, changes in the semiconductor market not only occur extremely rapidly but also anticipate changes in industries evolving at a slower pace. Yet another consequence of this rapid pace is that established market strongholds can be displaced very quickly.
- Semiconductor sales leaders by year
- Semiconductor device fabrication
- Electronic design automation
- Semiconductor consolidation
- European Semiconductor Industry Association (ESIA)
- iSuppli Corporation supplied rankings for 2010 (Semiconductor foundries are excluded)
- Staff, ReportLinker. “Global Semiconductor Market Outlook 2022.” January 13, 2016. February 19, 2016.