The semiconductor industry is the aggregate collection of companies engaged in the design and fabrication of semiconductor devices. It formed around 1960, once the fabrication of semiconductors became a viable business. It has since grown to be a $412.2 billion industry in 2017.
Unique features of the industry include continuous growth but in a cyclical pattern with high volatility. While the current 20 year annual average growth of the semiconductor industry is on the order of 13%, this has been accompanied by equally above-average market volatility, which can lead to significant if not dramatic cyclical swings. This has required the need for high degrees of flexibility and innovation in order to constantly adjust to the rapid pace of change in the market as many products embedding semiconductor devices often have a very short life cycle.
At the same time, the rate of constant price-performance improvement in the semiconductor industry is staggering. As a consequence, changes in the semiconductor market not only occur extremely rapidly but also anticipate changes in industries evolving at a slower pace. The semiconductor industry is widely recognized as a key driver and technology enabler for the whole electronics value chain.
- Samsung Electronics
- SK Hynix
- Micron Technology
- Texas Instruments
- Western Digital
|Name||HQ country||Revenue (US$)||Net Profits (US$)||Hardware Products|
|Samsung Electronics||South Korea||NAND flash memories, DRAMs, CMOS sensor, RF transceivers, OLED panels|
|Micron||USA||DRAM, NAND Flash, SSD, NOR Flash, Managed NAND, Multichip packages|
|SK Hynix||South Korea|
|Texas Instruments (TI)||USA|
|Analog Devices||USA||Amplifiers, Data converters, Audio and Video products,RF & Microwave, Sensors & MEMS|
(1) Pure-play foundries
(2) Fabless supplies
(3) Custom processor made by TSMC and Samsung foundries
- Semiconductor device fabrication
- Electronic design automation
- Semiconductor consolidation
- List of semiconductor fabrication plants
- Staff, ReportLinker. “Global Semiconductor Market Outlook 2022.” January 13, 2016. February 19, 2016.
- "Gartner Says Worldwide Semiconductor Revenue Grew 22.2 Percent in 2017; Samsung Takes Over No. 1 Position". Gartner. January 4, 2018.
- "Samsung topples Intel to become the world's largest chipmaker".