Semih Erden at the awarding ceremony of the 2010 FIBA World Championship
|No. 99 – Beşiktaş|
Turkish Basketball Super League|
July 28, 1986|
|Listed height||7 ft 0 in (2.13 m)|
|Listed weight||240 lb (109 kg)|
|NBA draft||2008 / Round: 2 / Pick: 60th overall|
|Selected by the Boston Celtics|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Semih Erden (born July 28, 1986) is a Turkish professional basketball player for Beşiktaş of the Turkish Basketball Super League (BSL). Standing at 7 ft 0 in (2.13 m), he plays at the center position.
Erden played with Darüşşafaka in the Turkish Basketball League in 2003-04 season, appeared in one game in which he recorded one point and two rebounds. He spent the majority of the season playing with the Darüşşafaka junior team.
Next season, Erden played with Partizan Belgrade in the Adriatic League and averaged 4.6 points and 3.2 rebounds. He scored in double figures twice, tallying a high of 17 points against KK Hemofarm. He contributed 3.0 points and 2.3 rebounds per game in 12.5 minutes a contest in the EuroLeague. His highest scoring game of 10 points occurred against Efes Pilsen. In 2004–05, he also appeared in seven Yugoslav Basketball League games, averaging 1.7 points and 0.7 rebounds in 4.4 minutes a contest.
In 2005, he signed with Fenerbahçe of the Turkish Basketball League. Erden averaged 6.5 points and 5.4 rebounds in 18.4 minutes a contest. He had a high of 14 points at Fenerbahçe and scored in double figures seven times. He also contributed 3.4 points and 2.2 rebounds in 9.1 minutes a contest in nine Euroleague games.
In his second season with Fenerbahçe, Erden played 16.1 minutes a game, averaged 6.4 points and 3.8 rebounds in Turkish League play, registering a high of 10 points against Galatasaray Café Crown. In the Euroleague, Semih added 4.5 points and 3.1 rebounds in 13.8 minutes per match.
In third season Erden averaged 7.1 points and 4.7 rebounds in 19.5 minutes a game in Turkish League play, scoring in double figures six times with a high of 15 points against CASA TED Kolejliler. During the season though, he missed a number of games due to a knee injury. In the Euroleague, he added 6.7 points and 4.3 rebounds in 19.3 minutes a contest, scored in double figures three times and posting high of 15 points against Panathinaikos Athens.
Erden was selected by the Boston Celtics with the 60th pick in the 2008 NBA draft. Erden was still under a one-year contract with Fenerbahçe and did not join the roster in 2008–09. He was seen by Celtics general manager Danny Ainge as their first-round pick in 2009.
On July 5, 2010, Celtics signed Erden to a one-year minimum contract with a team option for 2011–12.
With Boston centers Shaquille O'Neal, Kendrick Perkins and Jermaine O'Neal out with injuries, Erden earned his first career start on December 9, 2010 against the Philadelphia 76ers. He scored 8 points in 18 minutes in a 102–101 victory. Two nights later, Erden started for the second time in a 93–62 victory over the Charlotte Bobcats. In that game Erden played a game-high 41 minutes recording 10 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocked shots and a plus/minus rating of +34.
On June 30, 2012, the Cavaliers extended a qualifying offer to Erden, thus making him a restricted free agent.
Return to Europe
On November 22, 2011, Erden suffered a broken finger in a Eurochallenge game.
On August 1, 2014, he returned to Fenerbahçe signing a one-year deal. In 2014–15 season, Fenerbahçe advanced to the Euroleague Final Four for the first time in team's history. On May 15, 2015, however, they lost in the semifinal game to Real Madrid with 87–96.
On October 6, 2017, Erden signed a temporary contract with ABEL team Hacettepe Üniversitesi GSK in order to keep him able to sign a loan deal in BSL. On October 26, 2017, he signed a 1+1 deal with Beşiktaş.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Turkish national team
Erden is a regular player on the Turkish national team. His first international experience came in the 2005 U20 European Championships held in Moscow. He averaged 10.4 points and 8.0 rebounds in seven games for Turkey. In the 2006 U20 European Championships, held in Izmir, Turkey, Erden helped lead Turkey to a silver medal, averaging 5.4 points and 3.4 rebounds in eight games. In the same year, he earned a spot on the Turkish team for the 2006 World Championship in Japan. He contributed 2.2 points and 2.3 rebounds a game. In the 2007 European Championship in Spain, Erden averaged 1.0 points and 1.0 rebounds in his five games.
- Baxter Holmes, Celtics introduce latest draft picks, The Boston Globe, July 1, 2008.
- Steve Bulpett, Celts drafting offseason plan, Boston Herald, June 28, 2008.
- "Celtics sign Semih Erden". NBA.com. 2010-07-05. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Cavaliers Acquire Erden and Harangody from Boston for Future Second Round Pick". NBA.com. 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- "Cavaliers Extend Qualifying Offers to Erden, Gee and Harangody". NBA.com. 2012-06-30. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- (in Turkish)Semih Erden Beşiktaş'ta
- (in Turkish)Beşiktaş'ta Semih Erden şoku
- Anadolu Efes officially announce Semih Erden
- "Anadolu Efes Istanbul, Semih Erden part ways". Sportando.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Fenerbahce puts Erden in the paint again". Euroleague.net. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Fenerbahce for the first time in the Final Four". eurohoops.net. 20 April 2015. Archived from the original on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "Real Madrid heads to third straight final after beating Fenerbahce". euroleague.net. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- Darussaka Dogus reportedly signed Semih Erden to a one-year deal
- Semih Erden officially re-signs with Darussafaka Dogus
- Darussafaka Dogus officially waived Semih Erden
- Semih Erden Ankara Yerel Ligi'nde (in Turkish)
- Besiktas signs Semih Erden to a 1+1 deal