Semih playing for Galatasaray in 2012
|Full name||Semih Kaya|
|Date of birth||24 February 1991|
|Place of birth||Bergama, Turkey|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2004||Helvacı Bld. Gençlik ve Spor|
|2010||→ Gaziantepspor (loan)||1||(0)|
|2010–2011||→ Kartalspor (loan)||18||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 May 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 15 July 2015
Kaya joined Galatasaray's youth academy from Altay's youth team when he was 15.
On 25 February 2007, when he was playing against older young players in the season of Süper Gençler Ligi (Super Teen League) against Beşiktaş, in the fifth minute of the game, a kick from Batuhan Karadeniz collided with his head, forcing him to leave the game; he later went to a hospital to undergo head surgery (coagulation).
The start of the 2008–09 season saw foreign interest in Kaya rise, with reports that Italian club Internazionale were monitoring him ahead of a transfer deal, though the rumours never materialized.
Kaya's first Süper Lig appearance was against İstanbul B.B. on 19 February 2009. After not receiving significant playing time, he joined fellow Süper Lig club Gaziantepspor on loan in January 2010 for the remainder of the season, and, in the summer of 2010 he signed for Turkish First League side Kartalspor on loan. On 18 October 2010, he scored two goals in the A2 Lig game against Altay.
Return to Galatasaray
At the beginning of the 2011–12 season, Kaya was not typically selected for Galatasaray's starting line-up, but following injuries to other players, notably Gökhan Zan, and a fall in form of Servet Çetin, Galatasaray coach Fatih Terim granted him a chance to prove himself. Following a series of solid performances, he soon became first-choice centreback alongside the Czech Tomáš Ujfaluši.
Kaya scored his first goal for the club against Samsunspor on 7 January 2012 in the 51st minute of a 2–0 comeback, with the game ending 4–2 for Galatasaray. In the 2011–12 season, he played 30 games and was a key member of the championship-winning squad. He continued to be first choice centre-back for the club and country, delivering calm and confident performances despite against top teams such as Manchester United and, internationally, against the Netherlands. He finished his second year with 36 appearances in all competitions. On 18 November 2013, his contract was extended for three years until 2016.
Kaya has played for all levels of the Turkish national team, including the under-21 level despite being at a younger age at the time. He made his debut for senior Turkish side on 29 February 2012, playing the entire game against Slovakia in a 2–1 loss. He is part of the Turkish national team for Euro 2016.
- As of 12 June 2015
|Turkey national team|
- Süper Lig (4): 2007–08, 2011–12, 2012–13, 2014–15
- Türkiye Kupası (3): 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16
- Süper Kupa (5): 2008, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
- Inter Milan interest in Semih
- "Semih makes his debut". TFF.org. 2009-04-19. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- Duyuru: Semih Kaya
- "Semih ve Erhan Kartal'a". Pasfotomac.com.tr. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Samsunspor 2 – 4 Galatasaray". Galatasaray.org. 2012-04-09. Retrieved 2012-01-07.
- "Galatasaray Semih'in sözleşmesini uzattı". Skorer. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Türkiye 1-2 Slovakya". TFF.org. 9 April 2012. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- "UEFA EURO 2016". UEFA. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Kaya gibi stoper: Semih Kaya". TFF.org. 2009-02-02. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Semih Kaya". National Football Teams. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Futbolcu Bilgileri". Turkish Football Federation. 27 June 2012. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Semih Kaya.|