Capped langur

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Semnopithecus pileatus)
Jump to: navigation, search
Capped langur[1]
Capped Langur.jpg
Capped Langur at Pakke Tiger Reserve, India
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Cercopithecidae
Genus: Trachypithecus
Species: T. pileatus
Binomial name
Trachypithecus pileatus
(Blyth, 1843)
Capped Langur area.png
Capped langur range

The capped langur (Trachypithecus pileatus) is a species of primate in the family Cercopithecidae. It is found in Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, China, India, and Myanmar. Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical dry forests. It is threatened by habitat loss.[2]

There are four recognized subspecies of this lutung:[1]

  • Trachypithecus pileatus pileatus
  • Trachypithecus pileatus durga
  • Trachypithecus pileatus brahma
  • Trachypithecus pileatus tenebricus

A study of their diet in winter found that they spend nearly 40% of the day time feeding on leaves, flowers and fruits. Leaves contributed nearly 60% of the diet and they foraged on as many as 43 different plant species.[3]


  1. ^ a b Groves, C.P. (2005). Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M., eds. Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 177. ISBN 0-801-88221-4. OCLC 62265494. 
  2. ^ a b Das, J.; Molur, S. & Bleisch, W. (2008). "Trachypithecus pileatus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2008. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 2008-12-15. 
  3. ^ Solanki GS, Kumar A, Sharma BK (2008). "Winter food selection and diet composition of capped langur (Trachypithecus pileatus) in Arunachal Pradesh, India". Tropical Ecology. 49 (2): 157–166.