|Elevation||1,699 m (5,574 ft)|
Semnoz (French pronunciation: [sɛmno]) is a mountain of Haute-Savoie, France. It lies in the Bauges range. It has an altitude of 1,699 m (5,574 ft) above sea level. The mountain is crossed by the D41/D110 road near to the Crêt de Chatillon at an altitude of 1,660 m (5,446 ft).
Tour de France
The penultimate stage of the 2013 Tour de France (Stage 20) saw a summit finish on Semnoz, 125 km (78 mi) after departing from Annecy. The mountain has featured in the Tour previously, but this was during a neutralized stage in the wake of the 1998 Festina affair.
Details of the climb
The Crêt de Chatillon can be reached by road from three directions. From the south, the climb via the D110 commences at the village of Leschaux from where the ascent is 13.4 km (8.3 mi) long climbing 763 m (2,503 ft) at an average gradient of 5.7% with a maximum gradient of 10.2%.
From the west, the climb commences at Quintal and uses the D241 before reaching the D41 after 3.5 km (2.2 mi). The total climb is 11.3 km (7.0 mi) long gaining 922 m (3,025 ft) in height at an average gradient of 8.2%. This is the route used on Stage 20 of the 2013 Tour de France and is ranked as an Hors catégorie climb. The route to the summit from the start at Annecy crosses the Col de Leschaux (944 m (3,097 ft)) after 17.5 km (10.9 mi) before descending to Saint-Jean-d'Arvey.
- "Stage 20: Annecy / Annecy - Semnoz". Le Tour de France. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Le Crêt de Châtillon (le Semnoz) dans le Tour de France" (in French). ledicodutour. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Crêt de Chatillon: Col de Leschaux". climbbybike.com. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Crêt de Chatillon: Annecy". climbbybike.com. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Crêt de Chatillon: Quintal". climbbybike.com. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Annecy-Semnoz dans le Tour de France" (in French). ledicodutour. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Semnoz.|