|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the guide to deletion.
|Divisions||Semtex TV Productions
Semtex Motion Picture Group
Semtex Girls is a British production company founded by Madonna in 2006. It is involved in the production of motion pictures and television programs relating to Madonna under its divisions: Semtex TV Productions (established in 2006) and Semtex Motion Picture Group LLC and Semtex Films LLC which were created in 2008.
Semtex Girls, a limited company, was established in the UK in 2006 by Madonna. Initially she refused to mention what the company would be used for. The singer uses the name to describe her three assistants. She explained, "The Semtex Girl is a girl who is dynamic, a girl who explodes, who doesn't know the meaning of nine to five, a girl who is unstoppable and who doesn't take no for an answer. And has excellent taste." "Guys can be Semtex Girls too." 
The company has evolved into a television and film production company, originally as Semtex TV Productions. Its first production was the concert television special Madonna: The Confessions Tour - Live from London in 2006, which was aired on NBC in the United States and Channel 4 in the UK. In 2008, the company established two new divisions; Semtex Motion Picture Group, LLC and Semtex Films, LLC. The company is used mainly for the production of Madonna-related material and has produced two films directed by Madonna, Filth and Wisdom (2008) and W.E. (2011). It has also produced a documentary, I Am Because We Are (2008), narrated and produced by Madonna about the orphans of Malawi.
Explosia, which owns the rights to the trademark Semtex for its brand of plastic explosive, launched legal action on 27 February 2006. Ladislav Lehky, director of the Research Centre for Industrial Chemistry, which owns the state-owned Explosia said, "She never asked our permission to use the name Semtex."  The firm cancelled plans to sue her for copyright infringement as they claimed to own the international rights to the name but axed plans for a costly court case. Lehky said, "Madonna uses the name for pure promotional purposes. We can't really prove that we suffer a loss from that." 
- Motion pictures
- Filth and Wisdom (2008): directorial debut and co-written by Madonna. Produced in association with IFC Films and HSI London.
- I Am Because We Are (2008): documentary about the orphans of Malawi, written, narrated and produced by Madonna. Directed by Nathan Rissman.
- W.E. (2012): co-written, produced and directed by Madonna. The first release to include the Semtex Girls logo.
- Television specials
- The Confessions Tour: Live from London (2006): broadcast on NBC in November 2006, directed by Jonas Åkerlund.
- Sticky & Sweet Tour (2009): broadcast on Sky1 in July 2009, directed by Nathan Rissman and Nick Wickham.
- Madonna: The MDNA Tour (2013): broadcast on EPIX in June 2013, directed by Danny B. Tull and Stephane Sennour.
- ContactMusic.com "Madonna Sets up Semtex Girls" 19 February 2006 21:06
- "Madonna's Semtex Girls spark trademark dispute", ABC.net, Posted Wed Mar 1, 2006 12:22pm]
- BFI.org.uk Filth and Wisdom credits