Senate of Cambodia
|Senate of Cambodia
New session started
|24 March 2012|
Ney Pena (CPP)
Since 9 June 2015
Length of term
|29 January 2012|
|25 February 2018|
The Senate (Khmer: ព្រឹទ្ធសភា, Protsaphea) is the upper house of the Parliament of Cambodia. The Senate is a legislative body, composed of 61 members. 57 of the Senate seats are elected every six years by the commune councillors from 24 provinces of Cambodia, the King nominates two Senators, and the National Assembly nominates two, being a total of 61 Senators. The Senate performs its duties as determined in the constitution and law in force. The Senate is chaired and presided by the President, currently Say Chhum of the Cambodian People's Party and assisted by two Vice Presidents.
The first Senate session was held on March 25, 1999 and the first election was held on January 22, 2006. The third and current Senate was opened by King Norodom Sihamoni on March 24, 2012.
Term and session
Article 102: The term of the Senate is six years and ends on the day when the new Senate takes office.
Article 107: The Senate holds its ordinary sessions twice a year. Each session shall last at least three months. If requested by the king or Prime Minister, or at least one-third of all the senators, the Senate shall convene in an extraordinary session.
An absolute majority vote of all senators is used in the following cases:
- Election of the President, Vice Presidents of the Senate and all members of the commissions or special commission
- Adoption of organic laws
- Adoption of the internal regulations of the Senate
- Adoption of laws or issues
A two-third-majority vote of all senators is used for the following cases:
- Adoption of the Constitution law
- The vote pertaining to decision to indict, arrest, detent, confinement disciplinary action, parliamentary immunity, incompatibility, loss of membership, or abandonment of post.
- A three-fourth-majority vote of all senators is to be used to decide on suspension of detention or indictment of any senator.
The President of the Senate is assisted by two Vice Presidents which leads the Senate. If the President is unable to perform his/her duties due to illness or due to fulfilling the functions of Acting Head of State or as a Regent, or due to being on a mission abroad, a vice President shall replace him. (Article 110-New of the Constitution)
The Permanent Committee of the Senate consists of:
- The President of the Senate
- Two Vice Presidents of the Senate
- The Chairman of the nine Commissions of the Senate
|Cambodian People's Party||8,880||77.81%||46|
|Sam Rainsy Party||2,503||22.19%||11|
|Source: MYsinchew.com, RFA|
- In addition to the general election, the King and National Assembly each choose two Senators, bringing the total to 61 members.
List of Senators
- National Assembly (Cambodia)
- Parliament of Cambodia
- Politics of Cambodia
- List of legislatures by country