|Born||8 December 1947|
Pannaipuram, Theni, Tamil Nadu
|Occupation(s)||Actor, Director, Screenwriter, Film score composer, lyricist, music director, songwriter, singer, conductor, instrumentalist, Voice Actor|
|Instruments||Vocals, (playback singing), guitar|
|Associated acts||Ilaiyaraaja, Karthik Raja, Yuvan Shankar Raja, Venkat Prabhu, Premgi Amaren|
Gangai Amaran was born in Pannaipuram in Theni district, Tamil Nadu in December 1947, as the youngest son of Daniel Ramaswamy and Chinnathayi. He is the younger brother of noted music director Ilaiyaraaja and father of director and actor Venkat Prabhu and actor, composer and singer Premji Amaren. He had two more elder brothers, R. D. Bhaskar and Pavalar Varadharajan, both who died long back. Composers Karthik Raja, Yuvan Shankar Raja, singer Bhavatharini and costume designer Vasuki Bhaskar are his relations.
Regarding his name, Gangai was taken from a magazine of same name which he read during childhood while Amaran is derived from a pseudonym Amar Singh which he wanted to adopt himself when he aimed to be a lyricist. His latest interview with Chithra Lakshmanan in Touring talkies YouTube channel he has shared his life experiences and about his career struggle and also about his personal differences with his elder brother Ilayaraja where he mentioned about many controversial issues with him in his career.
Along with his brother Ilaiyaraja, Gangai Amaran started his career as a composer and composed for many successful films such as Mouna Geethangal and Vazhvey Maayam (1983). Apart from composing, Amaran made his directorial debut with Kozhi Koovuthu (1982) and went on to direct many films including highly successful Karagattakaran (1989). Themmangu Paattukaran was his last film as a director while Poonjolai which would have been the acting debut of his son Venkat Prabhu remains unreleased. Now he is working with Clusters media college.
|1982||Kozhi Koovuthu||Ilayaraja||Directorial Debut|
|1984||Vellai Pura Ondru||Ilayaraja|
|1987||Enga Ooru Pattukaran||Ilayaraja|
|1988||Koil Mani Osai||Gangai Amaran|
|1990||Ooru Vittu Ooru Vanthu||Ilayaraja|
|1994||Atha Maga Rathiname||Gangai Amaran|
|1979||Karai Kadantha Kurathi|
|1979||Oru Vidukadhai Oru Thodarkadhai|
|1980||Ramaye Vayasukku Vanthutta|
|1980||Enga Ooru Rasathi|
|1980||Tharayil Pootha Malar|
|1982||Vazhvey Maayam||Dubbed Malayalam as Premaabhishekam|
|1983||Hello Madras Girl||Malayalam Film|
|1983||Sattam||Dubbed Malayalam as Sneha bandham|
|1983||Justice Raja||Malayalam film|
|1984||Ungal Veetu Pillai|
|1985||Hello Yaar Pesurathu||with Illayaraja|
|1986||Kanna Thorakkanum Saami||with Illayaraja|
|1986||Namma Ooru Nalla Ooru|
|1987||Ithu oru thodarkathai||wrote all lyrics for this film|
|1988||En Thangachi Padichava|
|1988||Koil Mani Osai|
|1989||Ponnu Pakka Poren|
|1989||Swarakalpana||Telugu Film, Director: Vamsi|
|1994||Atha Maga Rathiname|
|1985||Neethaana Andha Kuyil||"Poojaiketha Poovidhu"||Ilayaraja|
|1990||Nila Pennae||"Kichang Kichang"||Vidyasagar|
|2013||Arya Surya||"Mama", "Kala Kala", "Asaaru Usaaru"||Srikanth Deva|
|2017||Andava Kaanom||"Oh Annan Maare"||Ashwamitra|
|1977||16 Vayathinile||Sendhoora Poove / Cholam Vethakkaiyile ||Ilayaraja|
|1978||Kizhakke Pogum Rail||"Poovarasam Poothachu"||Ilayaraja|
|1978||Mullum Malarum||2 Songs: "Nitham Nitham Nellu soru/ Raamane Aandaalum"||Ilayaraja|
|1978||Aval Appadithan||2 Songs:Uravygal Thodarkatha / Panneer Pushpangale||Ilayaraja|
|1979||Agal Vilakku||2 Songs: "Etho Ninaivukal/ Ellorum Porandhome"||Ilayaraja|
|1979||Puthiya Vaarpugal||"Thamthananam Thana Thaalam"||Ilayaraja|
|1979||Rosappu Ravikkaikari||3 Songs: "Vethala / Rosappu Ravikkaikari / Yennullil Yengo"||Ilayaraja|
|1979||Uthiripookkal||"Yae Intha Poongathu"||Ilayaraja|
|1980||Aayiram Vaasal Idhayam||"Hey En Aasa"||Ilayaraja|
|1980||Nizhalgal||"Poongathavae thaal thiravai"||Ilayaraja|
|1980||Ellam Un Kairasi||"Cherikku Sevai seiyum"||Ilayaraja|
|1980||Gramathu Athiyayam||All songs: Aatthu Mettuley/ Vaadaatha Rosapoo/ Ootha Kaathu/ Poovae Ithu||Ilayaraja|
|1980||Moodu Pani||3 Songs:Yen Iniya/ Paruva Kaalangalin/ Aasai Raja||Ilayaraja|
|1980||Johnny||4 Songs:Kaatril Enthan/ Aasaiya Kaathula/ Sinorita/ Oru Iniya manathu||Ilayaraja|
|1980||Kallukkul Eeram||4 Songs:Siruponmani/ Ennathil/ Kothamalli/ Enthan kairasi||Ilayaraja|
|1980||Nenjathai Killathe||3 Songs:Hey Thendralae/ Uravenum/ Mummy Peru||Ilayaraja|
|1981||Raja Paarvai||Vizhi Oraththu Kanavum||Ilayaraja|
|1981||Sankarlal||Thedinen Puthiya sugam||Ilayaraja|
|1981||Enakkaga Kaathiru||3 Songs:Oh Nenjame/ Ooty Malai / Pani Mazhai||Ilayaraja|
|1981||Indru Poi Naalai Vaa||2 Songs:Mathana Mohana/ Mere Pyari||Ilayaraja|
|1981||Kadal Meengal||Madhani Madhani||Ilayaraja|
|1981||Karaiyellam Shenbagapoo||2 Songs:Yerupudichavare/ Kalyanraman||Ilayaraja|
|1981||Panneer Pushpangal||All Songs:Kodaikaala Kaatre/ Aanandha Raagam / Poonthalir Aada/ Vengaya Sambarum||Ilayaraja|
|1981||Alaigal Oivathillai||2 Songs:Putham Pudhu Kaalai/ Vaadi En Kappa Kelange||Ilayaraja|
|1986||Amman Kovil Kizhakale||All songs||Ilayaraja|
|1990||"Keladi kanamani"||Enna paduvathu, Mannil intha||Illayaraja|
|1992||Villu Paattukaaran||All songs||Ilayaraja|
|2004||Udhaya||"Thiruvellikeni Rani"||A R Rahman|
|2007||Chennai 600028||"Jalsa", "Saroja Saaman"||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|2008||Saroja||"Aaja Meri", "Kodaana Kodi", "Nimirnthu Nil"||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|2010||Goa||"Ezhezhu", "Idhu Varai", "Vaaliba Vaa"||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|2011||Mankatha||"Vilaiyaadu Mankatha", "Ballelakka"||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|2013||Biriyani||"Biriyani", "Edhirthu Nil"||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|2015||Massu Engira Masilamani||"Poochandi"||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
- Karagattakaran (1989)
- Ooru Vittu Ooru Vandhu (1990)
- Idhayam (1991)
- Chinnavar (1992)
- Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen (1998)
- Jodi (1999)
- Kandukondain Kandukondain (2000)
- Ullam Kollai Poguthey (2001)
- Chennai 600028 II: Second Innings(2016)
- Arya Surya (2013)
- "Music Director Gangai Amaran Song Database". 600024.com Tamil Movie Database. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Singer Gangai Amaran Song Database". 600024.com Tamil Movie Database. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Lyricist Gangai Amaran Song Database". 600024.com Tamil Movie Database. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Director Gangai Amaran Song Database". 600024.com Tamil Movie Database. Archived from the original on 15 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Not truly Gangai Amaran". The Hindu. 19 May 2009. Archived from the original on 24 May 2009. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Gangai Amaran enthrals Vellore". The Hindu. 27 February 2006. Archived from the original on 24 May 2006. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Illayaraja: Gangai Amaran get together again". Behindwoods. 12 March 2005. Archived from the original on 24 July 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- Rangarajan, Malathi (29 August 2013). "Lights, camera, more action". The Hindu – via www.thehindu.com.
- Saravanan, T. (5 November 2015). "Music for the masses". The Hindu – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Tamil Cinema News | Kollywood News | Tamil Film News - Maalaimalar". Archived from the original on 24 May 2015.
- Kolappan, B. (21 December 2014). "Gangai Amaran joins BJP". The Hindu – via www.thehindu.com.
- Edmond, Deepu Sebastian (3 April 2017). "Gangai Amaran strikes a chord with R.K. Nagar voters". The Hindu – via www.thehindu.com.