Sendai Subway Tōzai Line
|Sendai Subway Tozai Line|
|Owner||Sendai City Transportation Bureau|
|Rolling stock||2000 series|
|Daily ridership||Approx. 80,000 daily (forecast)|
|Opened||6 December 2015|
|Line length||13.9 km (8.6 mi)|
|Number of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrification||1,500 V DC from overhead catenary|
|Operating speed||70 km/h (45 mph)|
The Sendai Subway Tozai Line (仙台市地下鉄東西線, Sendai Shi Chikatetsu Tōzai-sen) is one of the two lines of the Sendai Subway system operated by the Sendai City Transportation Bureau in the city of Sendai, Japan. It opened on 6 December 2015. The Tozai Line uses linear motor propulsion.
|Yagiyama Zoological Park||八木山動物公園||0.0||Taihaku-ku, Sendai|
From the start of operations on the line, nine out of the line's 13 stations are staffed and operated by sub-contracted employees from the security company Alsok. Operations at Omachi Nishi-koen Station will also be sub-contracted to Alsok from fiscal 2018, leaving only the two termini and Sendai Station staffed by Sendai City Transportation Bureau employees.
According to forecasts published by Sendai City Transportation Bureau in August 2012, the line is expected initially to be used by an average of approximately 80,000 passengers daily (boarding passengers only).
The line opened on 6 December 2015, with a departure ceremony for the first train at Arai Station.
- 仙台市地下鉄東西線 来年12月6日開業へ [Sendai Subway Tozai Line to open on 6 December 2015]. Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- 仙台市営地下鉄東西線の車両デザインが決定 [Train design finalized for Sendai Subway Tozai Line]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 14 November 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- ＜仙台東西線＞駅サービス ＡＬＳＯＫ委託 [Sendai Tozai Line station services to be sub-contracted to Alsok]. Kahoku Shimpo Online News (in Japanese). Japan: Kahoku Shimpo Publishing Co. 2 December 2015. Archived from the original on 7 December 2015. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- 仙台市交通局殿から東西線用新型車両２０００系を受注しました [Order from Sendai City Transportation Bureau received for new 2000 series trains for Tozai Line]. News release (in Japanese). Japan: The Kinki Sharyo Co., Ltd. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- 地下鉄東西線建設事業の再評価における需要予測の事例（その２） [Demand forecast case studies in reevaluation of Tozai Line construction project (Part 2)] (PDF) (in Japanese). Japan: Sendai City Transportation Bureau. August 2012. p. 8. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- "New subway line opens in disaster-hit Sendai". The Japan Times. Japan: The Japan Times Ltd. 6 December 2015. Archived from the original on 6 December 2015. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- Official website (in Japanese)