Senegal at the 2010 Winter Olympics
|Senegal at the
2010 Winter Olympics
|NOC||Comité National Olympique et Sportif Sénégalais|
|Competitors||1 in 1 sport|
|Flag bearer||Leyti Seck|
|Winter Olympics appearances (overview)|
Senegal participated at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada. The country's participation at the Games marked its fifth at the Winter Olympic Games. As in previous Games, Senegal's sole athlete was Leyti Seck, an alpine skier. He was also the nation's flag bearer in the Parade of Nations. Seck did not win any medals, although he finished ahead of fellow African Samir Azzimani of Morocco in the giant slalom.
Senegal participated in five Winter Olympics between its debut at the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia, and the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada. No Senegalese athlete had ever won a medal at a Winter Games. In two out of the three initial appearances, the country was represented by a single alpine skier, Lamine Guèye, with the exception of 1992 when Alphonse Gomis also competed. In 2006, fellow skier Leyti Seck was the national teams sole athlete.
Seck, a German-born athlete of dual Austrian/Senegalese nationality, finished in 55th place in the super-G at the 2006 Games, but not finishing in the Men's slalom or giant slalom. For the 2010 Games, he was once again named as his nation's flag bearer in the Parade of Nations during the opening ceremony.
The sole Senegalese athlete at the Games, Leyti Seck, competed in both the men's giant slalom and men's slalom. He was one of three African skiers at the Vancouver Olympics, alongside Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong from Ghana and Samir Azzimani of Morocco.
Seck failed to complete his first run of the slalom, and so did not take part in a second run. For the giant slalom, he recorded times of 1:32.32 and 1:33.82, finishing some 28.31 combined seconds behind the gold medalist, Carlo Janka of Switzerland, but one place ahead of Azzimani. Speaking after he completed his run, Seck said "I'm happy that I finished".
- DNF = Did not finish
- Skiing events
|Athlete||Event||Run 1||Run 2||Total||Rank|
|Leyti Seck||Men's slalom||DNF||Did not advance|
|Men's giant slalom||1:32.32||1:33.82||3:06.14||73|
- "Senegal". Sports Reference. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- Jouanneau, Julien (22 July 2008). "Je suis devenu le premier Noir aux Jeux olympiques d'hiver. Par Lamine Guèye.". Paris Match (in French). Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Senegal at the 1992 Albertville Winter Games". Sports Reference. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Leyti Seck" (in French). Eurosport. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Miltner, Harry (16 February 2003). "Tug of war over World Cup skier from Africa". The Sunday Telegraph. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Leyti Seck". Sports Reference. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Complete list of 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic flag-bearers". Vancouver Sun. 12 February 2010. Archived from the original on 16 February 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Moroccan skier happy to share the Vancouver dream". Reuters Africa. 9 February 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- Graham, Pat (24 February 2010). "Lowly-ranked skiers compete against big-time names". Associated Press. Retrieved 17 October 2016 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))