Dutch Reformed Church in Senekal
|• Type||Local Government|
Mrs M Mthimkhulu (Ward 3); Mr S Mokuane (Ward 4); Mrs M Motsei (Ward 5);Mr M Silasi (Ward 6); Mr L Modire (Ward 7) (ANC)
|• Total||37.1 km2 (14.3 sq mi)|
|• Density||690/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||93.0%|
|First languages (2011)|
|• Sign language||1.3%|
|Postal code (street)||9600|
|Area code||058 481|
Senekal is a town situated on the banks of the Sand River in the eastern part of the Free State province of South Africa. It was named after Commandant FP Senekal. It is the second largest town in Setsoto Municipality after Ficksburg, the largest town and capital of Setsoto. Senekal lies on the N5 national road between Winburg on the west and Bethlehem to the east. It has two townships, Matwabeng and OR Tambo Section, the latter being the latest, largest and fastest growing.
Senekal combined with its townships have two police stations, correctional facilities, one hospital and three functioning clinics with the fourth still underway in OR Tambo Section. It has a radio station, Naledi Community radio station, which serves most parts of the Eastern Free State and small parts of Lesotho. It broadcasts on 103.9 MHz.
Farming around Senekal plays a vital role in the economy of the province and country at large. Produce includes maize, sunflower, wheat, milk and livestock.
Places of interest in Senekal include Arizona Game Reserve, Biddulphs Mountain Resort and Willem Pretorius Game Reserve, though in Matjhabeng, falls under Setsoto Boundaries. One of the oldest churches in the Free State can be found at the centre of the town. The church is fenced with petrified wood, originally excavated from farms nearby. Though cool and charming, it is one of the most underdeveloped towns in the Free State.
Notable people from Senekal
- Gibson Gift Phoofolo,The 1st Executive Chairman of the TransitionalLocal council of Senekal/Matwabeng in 1994.also the founder of Civic Association/Sayco and the Hero who introduced ANC and other political structures in senekal and surrounding towns.
- Born in senekal and Bret in Vereeniging sebokeng Zone 13.
- 1st Mayor after dispensation is Cllr P Mzizi,before amalgamation of 4 towns (Senekal,Marw\quard,Clocolan and Ficksburg the Head Office of Setsoto)
- The first two mayors of Setsoto Municipality came from Senekal (Ms M. Molete and Mr M.S. Maduna)
- Naka Drotské (Former rugby coach of the Free State Cheetahs)
- Toks van der Linde (Former rugby player and TV personality)
- Dante Weinhold (cricket player that played for the Free state cricket team in 2010,2011,2012 and 2014)
- Senekal Shell is one of the oldest Petrol stations in Senekal. The Kotze Broers where the initial founders of this Business
- "Chronological order of town establishment in South Africa based on Floyd (1960:20-26)" (PDF). pp. xlv–lii.
- Sum of the Main Places Senekal and Matwabeng from Census 2011.
|This Free State location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|