September 16, 1978 |
Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
|Professional wrestling career|
|Billed height||1.72 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|Billed weight||84 kg (185 lb)|
|Trained by||Villano I
Sensei (born September 16, 1978) is a Mexican Luchador enmascarado, or masked professional wrestler, currently working for Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL). He previously worked for International Wrestling Revolution Group (IWRG) as Fantasy where he won several titles. Sensei's real name is not a matter of public record, as is often the case with masked wrestlers in Mexico where their private lives are kept a secret from the wrestling fans.
Professional wrestling career
Initially the wrestler who would later work as Sensei used the ring name Kundalini when he made his debut in 1995. He was one of the first wrestlers to work for International Wrestling Revolution Group (IWRG) when it formed in 1996. In IWRG he was given the name Fantasy along with a colorful outfit and mask. In 1999 Fantasy went to Toryumon Mexico to participate in the Young Dragons Cup, but in the first round he lost to Yasushi Kanda. The year 2000 became his break-out year as he teamed with Black Dragon to reach the finals of a tournament to crown the first ever IWRG Intercontinental Tag Team Champions but lost to Yasushi Kanda and Susumu Mochizuki on January 2, 2000. Two months later Fantasy teamed with Starboy to defeat Kanda and Mochizuki to win the tag team championship. Fantasy and Star Boy lost the tag team titles to Los Megas (Mega and Ultra Mega) in October, 2000 but regained them a year later. The team lost the titles to Los Megas once again and then split up in 2002. Fantasy quickly found singles success as he defeated Cerebro Negro for the IWRG Intercontinental Welterweight Championship on October 27, 2002. On November 3, 2002, Fantasy lost a Luchas de Apuesta to El Hijo del Diablo and was forced to unmask per Lucha libre tradition. Fantasy held the Welterweight title for 301 days before losing it back to Cerebro Negro on August 24, 2003. In 2004 Fantasy competed in and won IWRG's annual Rey del Ring (a multi-man battle royal similar to the Royal Rumble); with the win he also won the IWRG Intercontinental Middleweight Championship that had been vacant up until that time. Fantasy held the title for 70 days before losing it to Cerebro Negro.
In 2005 Fantasy left IWRG and joined Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL), changed his gimmick to Sensei and made his debut on June 15, 2005. In 2008 Sensei teamed with Neutron to participate in the CMLL Arena Coliseo Tag Team Title Tournament. In the first round they lost to Nitro and Skandalo. Sensei still work for CMLL, but has not found the success he had in IWRG as he still wrestles in the low card matches, unlike IWRG where he worked the mid-card matches. Ángel de Plata was one of 12 men who put their masks on the line as part of a 12-man steel cage match in the main event of the 2010 Infierno en el Ring.He was the fourth man overall to escape from the cage, keeping his mask safe. In the end Ángel de Oro defeated Fabián el Gitano in the Lucha de Apueta (bet match) portion of the match to unmask him. On November 28, 2012 Sensei won both the Intermediate category and the overall category in CMLL's annual Bodybuilding contest. In March 2013 Sensei was one of 18 wrestlers who competed in the annual Torneo Sangre Nueva ("New Blood Tournament"), a tournament for primarily for young wrestlers but also included the 18 year veteran Sensei. He competed in qualifying block B on March 5, 2013 for a place in the finals, the other wrestlers in Block B included Genesis, Robin, Oro, Jr., Super Halcón, Jr., Disturbio, Guerrero Negro, Jr., Inquisidor, Taurus and Zayco who competed in a torneo cibernetico, multi-man elimination match. Sensei eliminated Inquisidor but was eliminated himself by finalist Taurus. In late March, 2013 Sensei was announced as one of the Novatos, or rookies, in the 2013 Torneo Gran Alternativa, or "Great Alternative tournament". The Gran Alternativa pairs a rookie with an experienced wrestler for a tag team tournament. In Sensei's case the "rookie" aspect of the tournament was ignore as he was part of the Novato group Sensei was teamed up with Rush, who was actually less experienced than Sensei. The team competed in Block B that took place on the April 19, 2013 Super Viernes show. The team defeated El Cholo and Rey Bucanero in the first round, but lost to Soberano, Jr. and La Sombra in the second round to be eliminated from the tournament.
Championships and accomplishments
- CMLL Bodybuilding Contest: 2012 – Intermediate, Overall
- Distrito Federal Welterweight Championship (1 time, current)
Luchas de Apuestas record
|Winner (wager)||Loser (wager)||Location||Event||Date||Notes|
|Fantasy (mask)||Rey Cuervo (mask)||Naucalpan, Mexico State||IWRG Live event||May 16, 1999|||
|Fantasy (mask)||Bombero Infernal (hair)||Naucalpan, Mexico State||IWRG Live event||September 16, 2001|||
|El Hijo del Diablo (mask)||Fantasy (mask)||Naucalpan, Mexico State||IWRG Live event||November 3, 2002|||
|Fantasy (hair)||Mike Segura (hair)||Naucalpan, Mexico State||IWRG Live event||December 28, 2003|||
|Fantasy (hair)||Cyborg (hair)||Naucalpan, Mexico State||IWRG Live event||May 9, 2004|||
|Fantasy (hair)||Star Boy (hair)||Naucalpan, Mexico State||IWRG Live event||May 30, 2005|||
- "Tecnicos - Sensei" (in Spanish). Fuego en el ring. Retrieved October 17, 2009.
- Enciclopedia staff (September 2007). "Enciclopedia de las Mascaras". Fantasy (in Spanish). Mexico City, Mexico. p. 27. Tomo II.
- Madigan, Dan (2007). "Okay... what is Lucha Libre?". Mondo Lucha Libre: the bizarre and honorable world of wild Mexican wrestling. HarperColins Publisher. pp. 29–40. ISBN 978-0-06-085583-3.
- Box y Lucha staff (January 9, 2001). "2000 Especial!". Box y Lucha Magazine (in Spanish). pp. 2–20. issue 2488.
- Box y Lucha staff (January 13, 2002). "2001: Los Campeones". Box y Lucha Magazine (in Spanish). pp. 15–17. issue 2540.
- Box y Lucha staff (January 19, 2003). "2002: considerar detrás". Box y Lucha Magazine (in Spanish). 2593.
- SuperLuchas staff (January 5, 2003). "Número Especial - Lo mejor de la lucha libre mexicana durante el 2003". Super Luchas (in Spanish). 40.
- Ruiz Glez, Alex (July 18, 2010). "Infierno en el Ring 2010 (resultados domingo 18 de julio) Fabián El Gitano pierde la máscara ante Ángel de Oro" (in Spanish). SuperLuchas Magazine. Retrieved July 19, 2010.
- Valdés, Apolo (November 29, 2012). "El CMLL muestra el músculo". MedioTiempo (in Spanish). Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- "Soberano Jr gana el Torneo Sangre Nueva 2013" (in Spanish). SuperLuchas Magazine. March 12, 2013. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- "CMLL inicia el Torneo de la Gran Alternativa" (in Spanish). SuperLuchas Magazine. March 21, 2013. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- Valdés, Apolo (April 20, 2013). "Místico y Averno por el Campeonato Nacional Welter". MedioTiempo (in Spanish). MSN. Retrieved April 20, 2013.
- Valdés, Apolo (April 15, 2012). "Tarde de Campeones en el DF". MedioTiempo (in Spanish).