Sentara Healthcare is a not-for-profit healthcare organization serving Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. It is based in Norfolk, Virginia, and offers services to over two million residents in Virginia and North Carolina.
Sentara operates more than 100 sites, including twelve acute care hospitals with a total of 1,911 beds, nine outpatient care campuses, seven nursing centers, three assisted living centers, and about 380 primary care and multi-specialty physicians. Sentara also provides health coverage plans, home health and hospice services, physical therapy and rehabilitation services, and specialized services, including Nightingale which, in 1982, became the region's first air ambulance. Its flagship hospital is the Norfolk General Hospital. On March 2018, an announcement of a brand new, state-of-the-art $93.5 cancer center is planned to open in 2020 near Sentara Leigh Hospital site.
In 1984, Sentara began offering the region's first managed-care plan, Optima Health. Based in Virginia, Optima Health currently serves more than 452,000 members with a network of more than 15,000 providers including specialists, primary care physicians and hospitals. Additionally, Optima Health offers a variety of programs to support members with chronic illnesses, customized prevention programs, and integrated clinical and behavioral health services - all to help members improve their health. Optima Health is the only Virginia health plan to maintain an "Excellent" accreditation status from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for its commercial HMO and Medicaid HMO products since 1998.
Sentara's air ambulance Nightingale, named for Florence Nightingale, began in late-February 1982 as the region's first air ambulance and the 38th air medical program in the country. Based at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, Nightingale serves a 125-mile radius, flying as far north as Washington, D.C. as far south as Ocracoke Island, east to the Eastern Shore and west to Charlottesville, Va. The ambulance has reached out to more than 16,000 patients since its inception, providing rapid transport of the critically ill or injured from a scene of an accident, or from one medical facility to another with more specialized critical care capabilities.
Nightingale is equipped with high-tech cardiac and pulmonary equipment, including an intra-aortic balloon pump and sophisticated 12-lead EKG monitor, helping the flight nurse and paramedic provide state-of-the-art care in flight.
List of Sentara hospitals
- Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital (Charlottesville, VA)
- Sentara Rockingham Memorial Hospital (Harrisonburg, VA)
- Sentara Albemarle Medical Center (Elizabeth City, NC)
- Sentara Careplex Hospital (Hampton, VA)
- Sentara Cancer Center [set to open in 2020] (Norfolk, VA)
- Sentara Heart Hospital (Norfolk, VA)
- Sentara Leigh Hospital (Norfolk, VA)
- Sentara Lake Ridge (Lake Ridge, VA)
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (Norfolk, VA)
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center (Woodbridge, VA)
- Sentara Obici Hospital (Suffolk, VA)
- Sentara Princess Anne Hospital (Virginia Beach, VA)
- Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital (Virginia Beach, VA)
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center (Williamsburg, VA)
- Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital (South Boston, VA)
List of Sentara outpatient care facilities
- Sentara Greenbrier Healthplex (Chesapeake, VA)
- Sentara Port Warwick (Newport News, VA)
- Sentara Obici Outpatient Center (Suffolk, VA)
- Sentara Princess Anne Health Campus (Virginia Beach, VA)
- Sentara Independence (Virginia Beach, VA)
- Sentara BelleHarbour (Suffolk, VA)
- Sentara Gloucester Medical Arts (Gloucester, VA)
- Sentara St. Luke's (Isle of Wight, VA)
- Sentara Kitty Hawk (Kitty Hawk, NC)
List of Sentara rehabilitation centers
- CarePlex Therapy Center
- Fitness and Therapy Works, Sentara Hampton Health & Fitness Center
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
Obici Rehabilitative Services
- Sentara Obici Rehab Services
- Smithfield Physical Therapy
- Sentara Obici Therapy Center
- Sentara Obici Wakefield Physical Therapy Center
- Sentara/Obici Hand Center and Lymphedema Services
- Battlefield Therapy Center
- Bayside Therapy Center
- Day Rehabilitation, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
- ExploreHealth with Sentara Center
- Great Bridge Therapy Center
- Hand Therapy Center
- Hilltop Therapy Center
- Indian River Therapy Center
- Leigh Therapy Center, Sentara Leigh Hospital
- Portsmouth Therapy Center
- Sentara Princess Anne Therapy Center
- The Therapy Center
- Work Rehabilitation Center
- Sentara Currituck Outpatient Therapy Center
List of Sentara schools
- Sentara College of Health Sciences
- Sentara School of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
- Suffolk Public Schools/Sentara Obici Hospital School of Practical Nursing
- School of Medical Laboratory Science 
- "Sentara Healthcare - Norfolk, Virginia". aha.org. American Hospital Association. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- BOYKIN, NICK (March 8, 2018). "Sentara Healthcare to build $93.5 million cancer center in Norfolk". WTKR News. Retrieved March 13, 2018.
- "Home - Optima Health". Retrieved 2 March 2018.