|Mission type||Earth observation|
|Mission duration||Planned: 7 years |
Elapsed: 5 years, 9 months, 26 days
|Manufacturer||Airbus Defence and Space|
|Launch mass||1,140 kg (2,510 lb)|
|Dry mass||1,017 kg (2,242 lb)|
|Dimensions||3.4 m × 1.8 m × 2.35 m (11.2 ft × 5.9 ft × 7.7 ft)|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||23 June 2015, 01:51:58UTC|
|Launch site||Kourou SLV|
|Semi-major axis||7,167.10 km (4,453.43 mi)|
|Perigee altitude||788.06 km (489.68 mi)|
|Apogee altitude||789.87 km (490.80 mi)|
|Epoch||9 March 2017, 21:05:23 UTC|
|Band||S band (TT&C support)|
X band and optical laser through EDRS (data acquisition)
|Bandwidth||64 kbit/s upload (S band)|
128 kbit/s - 2 Mbit/s down (S band)
520Mbit/s down (X band/Optical)
|Multi-Spectral Imager (MSI)|
Sentinel-2A is a European optical imaging satellite launched in 2015. It is the first Sentinel-2 satellite launched as part of the European Space Agency's Copernicus Programme. The satellite carries a wide swath high-resolution multispectral imager with 13 spectral bands. It will perform terrestrial observations in support of services such as forest monitoring, land cover changes detection, and natural disaster management.
On 7 March 2017 the Sentinel-2A was joined in orbit by its sister satellite, Sentinel-2B.
Between 20 and 23 January 2017 the spacecraft suffered a mission planning anomaly which resulted in loss of data from the Multi-Spectral Imager.
- "Sentinel-2: The Operational Compernicus Optical High Resolution Land Mission" (PDF). European Space Agency. 2013. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Second Copernicus environmental satellite safely in orbit". European Space Agency. 23 June 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Sentinel 2A - Orbit". Heavens-Above. 9 March 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- Justice, Adam (23 June 2015). "Sentinel-2A: Satellite blasts off to provide new, improved view of Earth". International Business Times. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Sentinel-2 delivers first images". European Space Agency. 29 June 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Hoersch, Bianca (2015). A short success story of Sentinel-2A (PDF). Meeting of the Earth Observation Programme Board. 22–23 September 2015. ESRIN, Frascati, Italy. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Loss of Sentinel-2A acquisitions between 20 and 23 January 2017". European Space Agency. 23 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Sentinel-2 programme at ESA's Sentinel Online
- Sentinel-2 programme at ESA.int
- Real-time orbital tracking - uphere.space