|This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (January 2016)|
|First appearance||Fantastic Four vol. 1, #64 (Jul 1967)|
|Created by||Stan Lee (writer)
Jack Kirby (artist)
|Abilities||Super Strength and durability
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2016)|
Fictional character biography
The Sentries' main purpose is to stand guard over military outposts and depots throughout the Kree Empire. Sentry-459 accompanied a Kree scientific party that journeyed to Earth to experiment on sub-humans (which in turn created the race the Inhumans). When the Kree left Earth, Sentry 459 remained to monitor Inhuman progress, so that the Kree could later use them as a militia force. Sentry-459 remained inert but observing until activated by the superheroes the Fantastic Four, who fought it to a standstill. Considering itself defeated when the Fantastic Four escaped, the Sentry sent a signal to the Kree alerting them to the presence of meta-humans on Earth and then deactivated itself (the Kree Ronan the Accuser investigates the signal and battles the Fantastic Four soon after).
The Sentry is then transported by the U.S. Army to Cape Canaveral, where it is reactivated by the Kree Colonel Yon-Rogg, the leader of the Kree expedition now investigating Earth. Yon-Rogg hopes the Sentry will kill the hero Captain Marvel, another member of expedition. Mar-Vell. However, manages to defeat it.
Ronan the Accuser later reactivates the Sentry and uses it in an attempt to reverse the course of evolution on Earth, but it is once again defeated by Mar-Vell. The Kree agents attempt to retrieve the Sentry but are driven off by spy agency S.H.I.E.L.D.. The Sentry is seen again when activated by the Super-Adaptoid, who uses the robot as part of his team Heavy Metal in a bid to destroy the superhero team the Avengers. It returned in the Blackwulf series, having been found by Ultron, and joins the Underground Legion but is eventually destroyed in the series finale.
Other Kree Sentries
Sentry-459 is not the only Kree Sentry of the Kree Empire. The following are also Kree Sentries:
Another Sentry - designated 9168 - was encountered by the Fantastic Four on the Moon. Only six feet tall, this Sentry was programmed to prevent any space travelers from Earth from finding the remains of a hidden Kree city in the Blue Area of the Moon. The Fantastic Four battle and destroy the Sentry via a remote destruct mechanism.
This 30-foot (9.1 m) tall Sentry was stationed in an unmanned supply depot/surveillance post on the planet Uranus. It was destroyed by a group of Eternals led by Uranos, sparking a war with the Kree.
This Sentry only appears once, and battles several members of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard before being damaged by the West Coast Avengers. The Sentry then self-destructs and destroys the outpost it was guarding.
In other media
- A Kree Sentry appears in the Fantastic Four episode "The Sentry Sinister", voiced by Mark Hamill.
- Sentries appeared in the Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes episode "Trial by Fire". Ronan the Accuser accused Johnny Storm of destroying several Sentries.
- The Kree Sentries appear in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "459".
- The Kree Sentries appear in the Avengers Assemble episode "Captain Marvel." They are used by the Kree soldiers led by Galen-Kor in their plan to capture the recently-emerged Inhumans and a bonus mission to capture Captain Marvel.
- A Kree Sentry appears as an assist character in the 1995 arcade game Avengers in Galactic Storm.
- Kree Sentries are enemies in Marvel: Avengers Alliance Tactics.
- A Kree Sentry appears in Marvel: Avengers Alliance 2.
- Fantastic Four vol. 1 #64 - 65
- Marvel Super-Heroes vol. 1 #13 (Mar 1968)
- Captain Marvel vol. 1 #47 - 49
- Avengers vol. 1 #286 - 290
- in the back-up story in Blackwulf #3
- Blackwulf #6
- Blackwulf #10
- Sentry #459 at the Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe
- Fantastic Four vol. 1 #98
- What If vol. 1 #26 (Apr 1981)
- Avengers West Coast #80 (1994)
- Iron Man vol. 3 #7