Sentul, Kuala Lumpur
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre (KLPAC) in Sentul
|State||Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur|
|• Local Authority||Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (MST)|
|Police||Sentul District Police Headquarters|
|Fire||Sentul Fire and Rescue Station|
Sentul is a suburb located within the northern part of the city centre in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in the constituency of Batu. The vicinity of Sentul is sandwiched between Segambut and Titiwangsa. It is one of the oldest suburbs in Kuala Lumpur and consists mainly of historic worship places and prewar schools. Sentul is a mere 10-minute drive to Mont Kiara, Bukit Tunku, Wangsa Maju, Kepong, and downtown Kuala Lumpur through the Duta–Ulu Klang Expressway (DUKE) or inner-city roads.
Sentul is a former railway hub famous for its old-world charm, historical temples and prewar shops. Most of the early residents in Sentul were Indians working in the train depot and central workshop built by the British, dating back to 1896. The older and larger of the two depots there, known as the Sentul Works, has been operational since 1905. Sprawled over 5.2ha, the railway hub was Malaysia’s largest train depot consisting of numerous brick buildings and metal sheds used for storage. Most of these have been demolished, with the western-most brick train shed being retained and converted into the Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre (KLPAC). Most of the historical structures in the area have been demolished but a few remain, including worship places, schools, and pre-war shops. In 2020, the once-famous Sentul Cinema has been replaced by a residential development known as Rica Sentul.
In 2002, YTL Land & Development Berhad rolled out its Sentul regeneration plan and has extensively transformed the rundown railway town. Since then, the new Sentul is demarcated into Sentul Timur (English: Sentul East), Sentul Barat (English: Sentul West) and Bandar Baru Sentul.
Sentul Raya Boulevard serves as the main commercial hub in the heart of Sentul which consists of many banks, eateries, and offices. In Sentul Timur, there are D6 and D7 offices developed by YTL, which encompasses a more contemporary commercial concept.
Pasar Sentul (English: Sentul Market) is one of the oldest wet markets in the city of Kuala Lumpur. It is situated on Jalan Sentul Pasar, and it consists of more than 100 stalls. The HGH Convention Centre in Sentul is one of the biggest ballrooms in Kuala Lumpur which could accommodate banquets with 2,000 seats or 66 exhibition booths. In Bandar Baru Sentul, there is the Sentul Urban Transformation Centre (UTC Sentul) which provides public amenities, government offices and services.
The Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre (KLPAC) is a multi-award winning space that serves as the main hub for contemporary art in Malaysia. As the only fully-integrated arts centre in Malaysia, it boasts end to end facilities including a 504-seat proscenium theatre, a 200-seat experimental black box theatre, and an academy with 9 studios. Next to KLPAC, there is Sentul Park which is a lush 35-acre private gated community park just off Jalan Ipoh in Kuala Lumpur. In 2019, YTL has opened yet another 200,000 sq ft of exhibition space called Sentul Depot that was originally a unique 110-year old colonial Malayan architectural building.
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Bandar Baru Sentul
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Convent Sentul 1
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Convent Sentul 2
- Sekolah Kebangsaan La Salle (1) Sentul
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Sentul 1
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Sentul 2
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Sentul Utama
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Perak
- Sekolah Kebangsaan (L) Methodist Sentul (Methodist Boys Primary School, Sentul)
- SJK (C) Chi Man
- SJK (C) Peng Ming
- SJK (C) Sentul
- SJK (C) Sentul Pasar
- SJK (T) Sentul
- SJK (T) St Joseph
- SJK (T) Thamboosamy Pillai
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Bandar Baru Sentul
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Chong Hwa
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Convent Sentul
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Maxwell
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan La Salle Sentul
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Sentul Utama
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (L) Methodist Sentul (Methodist Boys Secondary School, Sentul)
- Sekolah Menengah Sains (P) Seri Puteri
- Wesley Methodist School Kuala Lumpur
- Damai Service Hospital
- KPJ Sentosa KL Specialist Hospital
- KPJ Tawakkal KL Specialist Hospital
- Kuala Lumpur Hospital
- Lourdes Medical Centre
- Sentul Medical Centre
Places of Worship
Sentul is home to many historic churches, mosques, and Hindu temples in Kuala Lumpur.
- Church of St. Joseph Sentul
- Grace Methodist Church
- Ipoh Road Chinese Methodist church
- Pentecostal Church Malaysia
- Miracle Chapel
- St. James' Church Sentul
- Athi Eeswaran Temple
- Dewi Sree Karumariamman Temple
- Sri Muniswaran Temple
- Sri Jayanti Temple
- Maha Kaliamman Temple
- Masjid Al-Hidayah Sentul
- Masjid Amru Ibni Al'-As Sentul
- Masjid Pakistan Sentul
There are many high-rise apartments and condominiums situated around Sentul.
YTL Sentul Residences
- The Capers
- The Fennel
- The Maple
- The Saffron
- The Tamarind
- 1 Sentul Condomium
- M Arisa
- M Centura
- Maxim Citylights
- Minest Residence
- One Maxim
- Rafflesia Condominum
- Rica Residence
- Residensi Sentulmas
- Sang Suria Condominium
- Sentul Point
- Sentul Village
- SkyAwani 1 Residence
- SkyMeridien Residence
- Vista Sentul Residence
Sentul is easily accessible via the Kuala Lumpur Middle Ring Road 2 (MRR2), Duta-Ulu Kelang Expressway (DUKE), Sultan Iskandar Highway, Jalan Duta-Segambut Highway, and Sentul Link, as well as through arterial roads such as Jalan Tun Razak, Jalan Ipoh, Jalan Pahang, Jalan Kuching, and Jalan Kepong.
The suburb is serviced by two light rapid transit (LRT) stations, Sentul and Sentul Timur on the Ampang and Sri Petaling Lines; and a commuter rail station, Sentul on KTM Komuter Seremban Line. In the future, Sentul will also be serviced by a mass rapid transit (MRT) station, Sentul Barat on the Sungai Buloh-Serdang-Putrajaya Line, which is expected to be completed in 2022.
- "Sentul: Buzzing with activity". TheEdge. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "Sentul's history is reflected in its old-world charm". TheStar. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "Rica Residence Sentul @ Jalan Ipoh by Fajarbaru". Propcafe. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "Sentul: From Sleepy Depot to Stylish Soho". TRX. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "All primary schools in Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur Jan 2020". myschoolchildren.com. Retrieved 2020-04-04.
- "All secondary schools in Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur Jan 2020". myschoolchildren.com. Retrieved 2020-04-04.