Seohyun at VIP premiere of film Phantom Detective, in May 2016
June 28, 1991
Seoul, South Korea
|Alma mater||Dongguk University|
|Revised Romanization||Seo Ju-hyeon|
Seo Ju-hyun (born June 28, 1991), known professionally as Seohyun, is a South Korean singer and actress. She debuted as a member of girl group Girls' Generation (and later its subgroup TTS) in August 2007, who would later go on to be one of the best-selling artists in South Korea and one of South Korea's most popular girl groups worldwide. Apart from her group's activities, she has established herself as an actress, notably through her participation in the original and Korean versions of stage musicals including Moon Embracing the Sun, Gone with the Wind and Mamma Mia.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Life and career
1991–2011: Early life and career beginnings
Seohyun was born Seo Ju-hyun on June 28, 1991, in Seoul, South Korea, and is the only child in her family. Her mother was a chairman at a piano school and Seohyun was taught how to play piano, as well as violin and traditional Korean drums in her early childhood. She also learned horseback riding and skating as a child. Her parents did not encourage her to become a celebrity, but Seohyun credited them as the ones who helped her choose her career path by letting her experience different things.
As a fifth grader, Seohyun was discovered by a talent scout while riding in a subway train. She sang children's songs for her audition at S.M. Entertainment, and was accepted as a trainee. Dana, Seohyun's former vocal instructor, noted she had been a stubborn student—someone who would answer politely after being told to correct a problem and then not change anything afterwards. Dana explained, "That kind of stubbornness is what makes up Girls' Generation's Seohyun's unique charm today". Seohyun cited BoA, S.E.S and Fin.K.L. as her main influences to become a singer, expressing "I thought it was cool to show and communicate the emotions through songs". In August 2007, Seohyun made her official debut as the youngest member of girl group Girls' Generation. The group gained significant popularity after the release of their hit single "Gee" in 2009. In a 2011 interview, Seohyun recalled her training days as "happy and heartwarming" memories.
Seohyun's early solo work mostly involved songs recorded for side projects and original soundtracks. Although they did not achieve much commercial success; her duet titled "JjaLaJaJJa" with veteran singer Joo Hyun-mi earned a "Trot Music of the Year" nomination at the 2009 Mnet Asian Music Awards. In 2010-2011, Seohyun appeared in MBC's variety show We Got Married 2, alongside CNBLUE's Yonghwa. They played a make-believe couple, portraying what life would be like if they were married. In addition, Seohyun was cast as voice actor for the Korean-dubbed version of animated film Despicable Me (2010) and its sequel Despicable Me 2 (2013), together with Taeyeon. She voiced the character Edith, who is known for her rebellious attitude.
2012–present: TTS and musical acting
In April 2012, a Girls' Generation subgroup named TTS was formed with Seohyun and fellow members Taeyeon and Tiffany. Their debut EP, Twinkle, met with much success and became the 8th highest selling album of the year in South Korea. The subgroup went on to release two more EPs: Holler (2014) and Dear Santa (2015). Besides contributing her vocals to Girls' Generation and TTS songs, Seohyun began to become more active in lyrics writing. She co-wrote the songs "Baby Maybe" and "XYZ" (I Got a Boy, 2013) and was credited as the sole lyricist for "Only U" (Holler, 2014) and "Dear Santa" (Dear Santa, 2015).
In 2013, Seohyun's acting career began when she was cast in a supporting role in SBS's drama Passionate Love. She played Han Yu-rim, a veterinary student and first love of the male lead character, who passes away in a car accident. Director Bae Tae-sub said Seohyun's persona "perfectly paralleled that of her role" and "her understanding and expressiveness of the character exceeds those of a rookie actress".
Seohyun, self-described as someone who likes both singing and acting, began to develop an interest in musical theatre. She named musical actress Ock Joo-hyun, who later became her mentor, as her main influence. Although she had wanted to be in a musical for a long time, she rejected casting offers because she felt unprepared. In January 2014, her wish was fulfilled as she accepted her first musical acting role. Seohyun made her theatrical debut in the musical, Moon Embracing the Sun, which was adapted from the novel of the same name. The musical is set against the backdrop of a Korean traditional palace. Seohyun played the lead role, Yeon-woo, the daughter of a noble family who has a love relationship with both the King and his brother. The musical had previously earned nine nominations at the 2013 Korea Musical Awards.
In January 2015, Seohyun was cast in the role of Scarlett O'Hara in the Korean version of Autant en emporte le vent, a French musical based on Gone with the Wind. She received encouraging review for her performance. Seon Mi-gyeong of OSEN said that while Seohyun's performance cannot surpass that of Bada, who shared the same role, her "fierce voice" complimented and successfully expressed an arrogant Scarlett O'Hara. Kim Hyun-joong of Sports Chosun noted Seohyun's occasional "clumsy" acting, but compared her to Ock Joo-hyun during her rookie days and said that "her ability to bring emotion through song, the most important part of a musical, rivaled that of a veteran actor. Despite a short career, she endlessly showed us various colours and peculiar charms of a woman's life."
In February-June 2016, Seohyun was cast in the Korean version of the musical Mamma Mia. She played a character named Sophie, a 20-year-old bride-to-be, who hopes to find out who her biological father is on her wedding day. Kim Geum-yeong from CNB Journal commented on Seohyun's improvement from her prior musical performances, praising her "natural acting" and "daring side" while Park Jeong-hwan from News1 also noted on her "stellar performance". She next participated in the Chinese romantic film So I Married An Anti-fan, SBS's drama Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, and Chinese web drama Canvas the Emperor.
Seohyun named United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon as her life mentor and role model, stating that his book, at one point in time, had helped her endure hard times. In 2013, as an effort to help less-fortunate students with their studies, she donated 100 million Korean won to Dongguk University.
Seohyun graduated from Jeonju Arts High School in February 2010. She went on to major in theatre acting and graduated from Dongguk University in August 2014, receiving an achievement award at the graduation ceremony. Her fellow Girls' Generation member, Yoona, attended the same university.
|2007||SBS Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son||"Touch the Sky"||03:49||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny and Tiffany|
|2008||Roommate||"Love Hate"||03:45||With Jessica and Tiffany|
|It's Fantastic||"It's Fantastic"||03:40||With Jessica and Tiffany|
|KBS Hong Gildong OST||"The Little Boat (작은 배)"||03:27||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny and Tiffany|
|N/A||"Haptic Motion"||01:31||With Taeyeon, Jessica and Sunny|
|2009||Jjarajajja||"Jjarajajja"||02:58||With Joo Hyun-mi and Davichi|
|MBC Heading to the Ground OST||"Motion"||04:06||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny and Tiffany|
|N/A||"S.E.O.U.L."||03:47||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny and Kyuhyun, Sungmin, Ryeowook, Donghae and Leeteuk of Super Junior|
|N/A||"I Can't Bear Anymore (Bear Song)"||02:43||With Taeyeon, Jessica and Sunny|
|2010||N/A||"Cabi Song"||03:19||With Taeyeon, Tiffany, Jessica, Sunny, Chansung, Junsu, and Taecyeon|
|N/A||"Cooky"||02:50||With Tiffany, Jessica and Sunny|
|My Friend Haechi||"Haechi Song" (해치송)||03:26||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany|
|Kim Soo Ro OST||"It's Okay Even If It Hurts"||04:37||Solo|
|Let's Go||"Let's Go"||03:31||With Various Artists|
|2011||N/A||"Dreams Comes True"||03:26||With Lee Donghae|
|N/A||"The Magic of Yellow Ribbon"||02:42||With Kim Hyun-joong|
|Keep Your Head Down||"Journey"||04:33||With TVXQ|
|2012||N/A||"Don't Say No"||03:25||With Yoon Gun|
|SBS Fashion King OST||"I'll Wait for You"||04:46||Solo|
|2013||N/A||"T'PLE Couple Song"||02:44||With Cho Kyuhyun|
|SBS Gayo Daejun: Friendship Project||"You Are A Miracle"||06:11||With Various Artists|
|2014||Make Your Move||"Cheap Creeper"||03:01||With Jessica, Taeyeon, Tiffany & Sunny|
|2016||SM Station||"Secret"||03:49||With Yuri|
|2010||Despicable Me||Edith||Voice-over for the Korean-dubbed version|||
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|||
|2013||Despicable Me 2||Edith||Voice-over for the Korean-dubbed version|||
|2014||My Brilliant Life||Herself||Cameo along with Taeyeon and Tiffany|||
|2015||SMTown The Stage||Herself||Documentary film of SM Town|||
|2016||So I Married An Anti-fan||Irene||Supporting role|||
|2007||Kimcheed Radish Cubes||MBC||Girls' Generation||Cameo|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||KBS||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang||Cameo|
|2013||Passionate Love||SBS||Han Yoo-rim||Supporting role|||
|2015||The Producers||KBS||Herself||Cameo along with Taeyeon and Tiffany|||
|Warm and Cozy||MBC||Hwang Yura||Cameo|||
|2016||Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo||SBS||Woo-hee||Supporting role|||
|Canvas the Emperor||Web||Dong Pu Ti||Lead role|||
|2014||Moon Embracing the Sun||Heo Yeon-woo||Lead Role|||
|2015||Gone with the Wind||Scarlett O'Hara||Lead Role|||
|2016||Mamma Mia!||Sophie Sheridan||Lead Role|||
Reality and variety shows
Aside from television appearances with Girls' Generation, Seohyun also appeared in the following television shows.
|2010–2011||We Got Married (Season 2)||MBC||Regular Cast||With Yonghwa|
|2012–2013||Show! Music Core||MBC||Co-host||with Taeyeon and Tiffany|
|2013||Real Men||MBC||Narrator||With Sunny|
|2014||The TaeTiSeo||OnStyle||Regular Cast||with Taeyeon and Tiffany (8 Episodes)|
|2014-2015||Infinity Challenge||MBC||Singer||with S.E.S|
|2015||Take Care Of My Dad||SBS||Narrator||Herself|
Awards and nominations
|2009||2009 Mnet Asian Music Awards||Trot Music of the Year||"JjaRaJaJja" (Shared with Joo Hyun-mi)||Nominated|||
|2010||South Korea Ministry of Culture||Recognition Award||Herself||Won|||
|MBC Entertainment Awards 2010||Most Popular Couple||YongSeo (Shared with Jung Yong-hwa)||Won|||
|2011||Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Campus Goddess||Herself||Nominated|||
|Mnet Media Awards||Most Cute and Gorgeous Lady||Nominated|||
|2013||Seoul International Drama Awards||Best Song from a Drama||"I'll Wait for You"||Nominated|||
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 72. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- Song Hye-jin (February 16, 2009). "서현, "거울 보면 제가 별로 안 예뻐 보여서 속상해요"" (in Korean). Chosun. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Choi Eun-hwa (May 3, 2011). "[창간특집 스타인터뷰] 소녀시대 서현이 말하는 서주현의 모든 것". enews24 (in Korean). CJ E&M.
- "GIRLS' GENERATION-TTS_Individual Performance, Twinkle & Talk_KBS Sketchbook_2012. 06. 01" (Video upload). KBS through SMTown channel on YouTube (in Korean). Google Inc. June 6, 2012. Event occurs at 11 minute. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- "다나 "소녀시대 서현, 유독 고집 세다"" (in Korean). MK. November 2, 2011. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- "TaeTiSeo shares hidden stories of pre-debut time". Korea Herald. October 22, 2014. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- "The SM Groups' Youngest Members are Always on Top". enewsWorld. May 4, 2012. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- Kim, Do-yeun (November 2, 2011). "Girls' Generation featured on Yale School of Art website". Korea Times. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "SM Artists Take Over '1st Look' Cover". enewsWorld. May 3, 2012. Retrieved February 20, 2015.
- "2009 엠넷아시안뮤직어워드(MAMA) 11월 21일 개최(수상후보포함)" (in Korean). October 23, 2009. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
- "CNBLUE's Jung Yong-hwa says "Juri Ueno is my ideal woman"". Asia Economic Today. September 3, 2010. Retrieved May 25, 2015.>
- "소녀시대 태연-서현, 3D 애니 '슈퍼배드' 목소리 캐스팅" [Girls' Generation's Taeyeon and Seohyun cast as voice actors for Despicable Me] (in Korean). Newsen. May 17, 2010. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013.
- Girls Generation Taeyeon and Seohyun to throw first pitch BNTNews.co.uk (August 28, 2013). Retrieved on February 7, 2015.
- "TaeTiSeo to drop EP 'Holler' next week". The Korea Herald. September 11, 2014. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "Taetiseo to Conclude Promotions on June 3; Will Be First 4 Time Triple Crown Winner as Unit". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. May 31, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "Gaon's Yearly Chart 2012". Gaon Album Chart. 2012. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015.
- Benjamin, Jeff (September 16, 2014). "Girls' Generation-TTS on Why New 'Holler' EP Represents Their 'Mind, Body and Soul'". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- "Girls' Generation-TTS to release Christmas album". Yonhap News. November 25, 2015. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- "소녀시대, 정규4집 'I Got a Boy'…수영ㆍ유리ㆍ서현 작사 참여, 태연ㆍ티파니 듀엣곡 수록" (in Korean). Korea Herald Corp. December 31, 2012. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- Lim Jeong-yeo (November 29, 2015). "More photos of TTS for 'Dear Santa'". KpopHerald. The Korea Herald. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- "[단독칼럼]서현의 '파리일기'④-소녀시대가 자랑스럽다" (in Korean). Tomorrow Newspaper. July 18, 2011. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- English translation: "Seohyun's Paris Diary – I'm Proud of Girls' Generation". Soshified. July 20, 2011. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- "Girls' Generation's Seohyun makes acting debut". The Stars Online. September 25, 2013.
- "열애 서현, 첫 정극 연기 어떨까?.. 배PD "표현력은 신인 연기자 이상"" (in Korean). WowTV. September 23, 2013. Retrieved June 3, 2015.
- ""차근차근 실력 키워갈게요" <해를 품은 달> 서현" (in Korean). PlayDB. January 27, 2014. Retrieved June 7, 2015.
- Park Jeong-hwan (April 10, 2016). "[인터뷰] 뮤지컬 '맘마미아!' 서현". The Move. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- "슈주 규현-소시 서현 '해를 품은 달'이 되다". Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). November 26, 2013. Archived from the original on December 2, 2013.
- "Kyuhyun, Seohyun, and Lina Star in 'The Moon that Embraces the Sun' Musical". eNewsWorld. December 4, 2013. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- Yoon Sarah (January 14, 2015). "Seohyun thanks fellow 'Scarlett O'Hara' Bada". K-Pop Herald. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- "'바람과 함께 사라지다' 배우 서현의 가능성[Oh!쎈 초점]" (in Korean). January 26, 2015. Retrieved June 3, 2015.
- Kim Hyun-joong (January 12, 2015). "[공연 리뷰] 뮤지컬배우로 거듭난 소녀시대 서현의 열연, 뮤지컬 '바람과 함께 사라지다' : 스포츠조선" [[Performance Review] Enthusiasm of SNSD’s Seohyun, Reborn as a Musical Actress, Musical ‘Gone with the Wind’]. Sports Chosun (in Korean). Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- Jackson, Julie (February 24, 2016). "Seohyun looks to build stage reputation through 'Mamma Mia!'". KpopHerald. The Korea Herald. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- Kwon Mee-yoo (February 24, 2016). "Girls' Generation's Seohyun stars in 'Mamma Mia'". The Korea Times. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- Kim Geum-yeong (March 7, 2016). "[공연 리뷰] 오뚝이 서현, 뮤지컬 '맘마미아!'의 뮤즈 될까" [[Review] Seohyun is back, but will she become the muse of ‘Mamma Mia!’?]. CNB Journal (in Korean). Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- Park Jeong-hwan (March 7, 2016). "[리뷰]서현의 키스에 삼촌관객 탄식 쏟아지고…뮤지컬 '맘마미아'" [[Review] Seohyun's kiss, make uncle viewers sigh... Musical Mamma Mia]. News1 (in Korean). Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- Jung Min-kyung (January 11, 2016). "Girl's Generation's Seohyun and EXO's Chanyeol to costar in movie". KpopHerald. The Korea Herald. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- Kim Ji-young (January 6, 2016). "Seohyun to star in 'Startling by Each Step: Ryo'". KpopHerald. The Korea Herald. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- "Seohyun of Girls' Generation cast in Chinese web drama". The Korea Times. July 25, 2016. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "서현, 깜짝 고백 "그 분 만날 생각에 잠도 못 자"" (in Korean). StarNews. September 14, 2011. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- "SNSD′s Seohyun Donates Scholarship to Dongguk University". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. November 19, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2015.
- "소녀시대 막내 서현, 9일 고교졸업..공로상 수상". February 9, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Girls Generation's Seo-hyun Graduates University". KBS Global. August 21, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2015.
- "Graduation photos of Yoona, Seohyun go viral". Kpopherald. December 18, 2014. Retrieved December 31, 2014.
- "내친구 해치 (My Friend Haechi) [Original Soundtrack] – Single". iTunes US Apple. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Theme song 'Dreams Come True' unveiled for Asia Song Festival". The Korea Herald. October 11, 2011. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Park Gyu-oh (August 26, 2014). "TaeTiSeo acted with Kang Dong-won in 'My Brilliant Life'". KpopHerald. Herald Corporation. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- Lee, Edmund (November 24, 2015). "Film review: SMTown: The Stage". South China Morning Post. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- Oh, Jean (September 24, 2013). "Girls' Generation's Seohyun makes acting debut". Korea Herald. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- Yoon, Sarah (May 14, 2015). "SNSD to appear in Kim Soo-hyun's drama 'The Producers'". Kpop Herald. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- "'맨도롱 또똣' 서현, 꽃미소 날리며 등장...진영, 홀딱 반했다". The Chosun Ilbo. June 24, 2015. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- . SONEms: Ministry of Culture.
- "Yoo Jae Suk wins Daesand Adam and Khuntoria couples also win at the MBC Entertainment Awards". Allkpop. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- (Korean) Mnet’s 20’s Choice Awards 2011 official website Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Mnet Media Awards 2011 nominees has just been released. Retrieved September 29, 2011.
- "서울드라마어워즈 2013 한류 드라마부문". July 2013. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Seohyun.|