Separate Reality (climbing route)
- For other meanings, see Separate reality.
|Climbing Area||Yosemite Valley|
|Route Type||Free climbing|
|Vertical Gain||20 metres (66 ft)|
|First ascent||Ron Kauk; 1978.|
Separate Reality is a 20-metre-long (66 ft) long climbing route in Yosemite National Park in California, USA. The famous route is well known for its exposed crux and 6-metre-long (20 ft) crack in its roof through which the sky is visible. The route's access is about 200 metres (660 ft) above the Merced River, but is better reached by abseiling from above. The name is from the 1971 novel A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan from Carlos Castaneda.
The route excites climbers not so much because of its technical difficulty, but due to its overhanging exposed nature, and the resultant demands on the human psyche.
In the summer of 2006 the American Dean Potter was the third climber to free solo this route. Since then, other climbers, such as Alex Honnold and Will Stanhope, have free soloed the route as well.
- Nejc Cesen climbs one of the most well-known routes in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California. 2005.
- Stuck On Yosemite
- Martial Dumas (producer); Didier Chenevoy (cinematographer) (2002-09-13). TVMountain: Separate Reality (in French). Event occurs at 2:20. Retrieved 2009-04-02.
daylight is visible through crack3 minute film of a protected climb of the route in 2002
- Den Fels im Griff - Freiklettern from the ZDF programme Der Sportspiegel (Video on YouTube: Wolfgang Güllich Parte2)
- Heinz Zak solos Yosemite's Separate Reality. 09/06/2005. "completely out of my reach, not physically, but mentally"
- Dean Potter free solo on Separate Reality (5.11d/7a) and Dog's Roof (5.12b/7b). 2006-08-19.
- "Jenseits der Vertikalen". http://www.heinzzak.com/ (in German). Martin Zak. 2002-09-13. Retrieved 2009-04-02.[dead link] Photographs of Heinz Zak soloing the route
|This California location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This climbing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|