|Division of holding company|
|U.S.A., Australia, Brasil, Denmark, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Serbia, Spain, France, Greece, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Thailand, Turkey|
|Products||Cosmetics & beauty|
|Revenue||€1.94 billion (2012)|
Sephora originates from "sephos" (Greek for "beauty") and the name Zipporah, the exceptionally beautiful wife of Moses in the Book of Exodus. Zipporah in the Greek Old Testament (LXX or Septuagint) is rendered Σεπφώρα Sephora. The Sephora logo is a white "S"-shaped flame against a black background.
On November 18/2014, a lawsuit was filed against Sephora alleging that they discriminated against Asian customers based on stereotypes that all Asian customers abuse discounts to engage in bulk purchasing for re-sale.
Sephora opened its first United States store in New York City in 1998 and its first Canadian store in Toronto in 2004. Its North American headquarters is located in San Francisco, with corporate offices in New York City and Montréal. Sephora currently operates over 360 stores across North America. Featuring more than 200 brands, along with its own private label, Sephora offers beauty products including makeup, skincare, body, fragrance, color, and haircare. Sephora is owned by Louis Vuitton and Moet Hennessy LVMH as of 1997.
Sephora launched its online store to the U.S. in 1999 and into Canada in 2003. Sephora currently operates over 1,700 stores in 30 countries worldwide generating over $4 billion in revenue as of 2013 (according to Forbes). As of September 2013, the Sephora at Champs Élysées in Paris, France, attracts over six million people a year.
On 1 January 2014, Calvin McDonald replaced David Suliteanu as president and chief executive officer of Sephora Americas. Suliteanu was named CEO of Kendo Brands, another business in the LVMH portfolio.
In August 2015 it was announced that Sephora would launch a subscription service: Play! By Sephora. The monthly subscription service will offer boxes containing five products, for $10 a month. Boston, Columbus, and Cincinnati are the only three cities to test the initial service launch in September 2015. The service is scheduled to launch nationwide in 2016.
Sephora features a variety of beauty products from more than 100 brands including NARS, Make Up For Ever, Urban Decay, Sunday Riley Skincare, Tatcha Aburatorigami, and Too Faced Cosmetics. Sephora also features its own make-up, skincare, and beauty tools/accessories. Packaging for the line features the company's elongated flame logo in standard black print.
Sephora Inside JCPenney
In October 2006, Sephora began opening stores inside JCPenney. Sephora inside JCPenney features some of the same makeup, skincare, and fragrance brands as well as its own product line found in stand alone stores nationwide. There are more than 400 Sephora locations in JCPenney stores across the country.
- "About Sephora". Sephora. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Sephora International". Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- SHERMAN, LAUREN. "Inside Sephora’s Branded Beauty Strategy". Business of Fashion.
- Loeb, Walter. "Sephora: Department Stores Cannot Stop Its Global Growth". Forbes. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Civil Complaint" (PDF). PacerMonitor. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "About Sephora". Sephora. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- "Sephora". New York Magazine. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- Wood Rudolph, Heather (19 February 2015). "Interview Insider: How to Get Hired at Sephora". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- Born, Pete (24 October 2013). "Calvin McDonald Named CEO of Sephora Americas". WWD. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Sephora.com: About Us". Sephora. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- MASIDLOVER, NADYA. "Paris Casts A Shadow Over Hours At Sephora". Wall Street Journal.
- Marsh, Lisa. "ARNAULT’S SEPHORA BUYS BUSTED EVE.COM". NY Post.
- Miles, Stephanie. "Sephora.com Buys Assets Of Defunct E-Tailer Eve.com". Wall Street Journal.
- "WWD 2011 Beauty Inc Awards: Retailer of the Year". Women's Wear Daily.
- Hamilton, Anita (4 January 2012). "How an Upstart Beauty Company Broke into the Big Leagues Read more: How an Upstart Beauty Company Broke into the Big Leagues - Ideas for Small Business". Time. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "time" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "McDonald Named Sephora Americas President/CEO, Suliteanu To Become Kendo Brands CEO". Beauty Store Business Magazine.
- Novellino, Teresa. "Birchbox is about to meet a French foe: Sephora". Biz Journals. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- Malamut, Melissa. "Boston Is One of Three Test Cities for the New Sephora Box". Boston. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "TATCHA Skin Care | Sephora". TATCHA Skin Care | Sephora. Sephora.com. 14 September 2014. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Sephora inside jcp".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sephora.|
- "Sephora International". Retrieved 10 September 2015.