Timeline of the September 11 attacks
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The September 11 attacks timeline is a chronological list of all the major events leading up to, during, and immediately following the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington that day. The timeline starts with the completion of the first World Trade Center tower in 1970 through the first anniversary of the attacks in 2002.
- 1970: The North Tower of the original World Trade Center is completed.
- 1973: The South Tower of the original World Trade Center is completed.
- 1988: Osama bin Laden founds al-Qaeda.
- 1993: World Trade Center bombing.
- 1994: Al-Qaeda-connected militants attempt to crash passenger jet into Eiffel Tower.
- 1995: Operation Bojinka is discovered by Manila police on a laptop computer in an apartment after a fire.
- 1996: The Taliban, a radical Islamic movement, takes control of Afghanistan.
- 1996: Passenger plane suicide attack narrowly averted.
- 1998: Bin Laden expands religious edict against US and allies.
- 1998: Suspect claims 'extensive network of al-Qaeda sleeper agents' is planning 'big attack' inside US.
- 1998: The 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania occur.
- 1998: 9/11 hijacker Mohamed Atta and associates are monitored some by US and Germany in their Hamburg apartment.
- 1999: Indian Airlines Flight 814 hijacked. One passenger dies while the others are released.
- 1999: Suicide pilot crashes commercial airliner into ocean.
- 2000: The USS Cole is bombed in Yemen.
- 1992: Mohamed Atta arrives in Germany.
- 1994: Planning on Operation Bojinka begins in the Philippines.
- 1995: Operation Bojinka foiled, Said Bahaji and Ramzi bin al-Shibh arrive in Germany.
- 1996: Marwan al-Shehhi and Ziad Jarrah arrive in Germany.
- 1997: Zakariyah Essabar arrives in Germany.
- 1998: Recruitment of terrorists in Germany starts.
- 1998: Bill Clinton warned 'bin Laden preparing to hijack US aircraft' inside US.
- 1999: Hamburg cell is fully formed.
- 1999: Germany monitors call to 9/11 hijacker al-Shehhi, shares information with CIA.
- 1999: Germans monitor call mentioning key al-Qaeda Hamburg cell members, including 9/11 hijacker Atta's full name and number.
- 1999: 9/11 hijacker Jarrah has unofficial wedding; photograph later suggests German intelligence has informant.
- 1999: Three 9/11 hijackers obtain US visas.
- 1999: Hani Hanjour gets pilot's license despite dubious skills.
- 1999: German intelligence records calls between 9/11 hijacker al-Shehhi and others linked to al-Qaeda.
- 1999: Saudi ambassador's wife gives funds that are possibly passed to 9/11 hijackers.
- 1999: President Clinton warned about al-Qaeda operatives living in US.
- 1999: Watch list importance is stressed but procedures are not followed.
- 1999: NSA tells CIA about planned al-Qaeda summit involving future hijackers.
- 2000: 2000 al-Qaeda Summit in Malaysia, pilots head to the United States and train in flying schools.
- 2001: Remaining hijackers go to the United States, Zacarias Moussaoui goes to the United States and is arrested, other cell members flee Germany.
September 11, 2001
- 7:59 A.M.: American Airlines Flight 11 takes off from Boston Logan International Airport, bound for Los Angeles International Airport.
- 8:14 A.M.: Flight 11 is hijacked.
- 8:14 A.M.: United Airlines Flight 175 takes off from Boston Logan, also bound for Los Angeles.
- 8:20 A.M.: American Airlines Flight 77 takes off from Washington Dulles International Airport, also bound for Los Angeles.
- 8:42 A.M.: United Airlines Flight 93 takes off from Newark International Airport, bound for San Francisco International Airport.
- 8:42-46 A.M.: Flight 175 is hijacked.
- 8:46:40 A.M.: Flight 11 crashes into the North Tower of the World Trade Center between the 93rd and 99th floors.
- 8:50-54 A.M.: Flight 77 is hijacked.
- 9:03:02 A.M.: Flight 175 crashes into the South Tower of the World Trade Center between the 77th and 85th floors.
- 9:28 A.M.: Flight 93 is hijacked.
- 9:37:46 A.M.: Flight 77 crashes into The Pentagon.
- 9:59:00 A.M.: The South Tower collapses.
- 10:03:11 A.M.: Flight 93 crashes into a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
- 10:28:22 A.M.: The North Tower collapses.
Rest of September
- September 13: On the personal orders of Queen Elizabeth II, The 'Star-Spangled Banner' is played during the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, marking the first time a foreign national anthem was played outside Buckingham Palace on an occasion other than a state visit. Russia observes a minute's silence.
- September 14 to September 21: Worldwide stock markets plummet.
- September 15: CIA director George Tenet presents the Worldwide Attack Matrix.
- September 20: George W. Bush announces that the US is at war.
- October 1: Rudy Giuliani speaks to the United Nations General Assembly.
- October 7: U.S. Attack on Afghanistan commences.
- March 2002: The Tribute in Light project begins.
- September 11, 2002: First anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks commemorations are held throughout the world, particularly the U.S.
- "Al Qaeda Financing Documents Turn Up in Bosnia Raid". Fox News. 2003-02-19. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Wald, Matthew L. (2001-10-03). "A NATION CHALLENGED: WARNINGS; Earlier Hijackings Offered Signals That Were Missed". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Hijacking Survivors Recount Terror". s3.amazonaws.com. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Who Is Bin Laden? - Chronology - Hunting for bin Laden". FRONTLINE. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Hirschkorn, Phil (January 19, 2001). "Embassy Bombing Defendant Says He Warned of Yemen Attack". CNN. Archived from the original on 2011-02-24. Retrieved August 20, 2017.
- "Newsday.com - A Perfect Soldier". 2002-06-03. Archived from the original on 2002-06-03. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Johnston, This Article Was Reported By Douglas Frantz, Don Van Natta Jr, David; Bernstein, Richard; Bernstein, Was Written By Mr (2002-09-10). "THREATS AND RESPONSES: PIECES OF A PUZZLE; On Plotters' Path to U.S., A Stop at bin Laden Camp". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Erlanger, Steven (2001-09-15). "AFTER THE ATTACKS: THE INVESTIGATION; An Unobtrusive Man's Odyssey: Polite Student to Suicide Hijacker". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Germany, SPIEGEL ONLINE, Hamburg. "On the Trail of Said Bahaji: 9/11 Conspirator Reported to Be Living in Pakistan - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International". SPIEGEL ONLINE. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Simpson, John Crewdson and Cam. "Real clues to plot have been elusive". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Burrough, Ned Zeman, David Wise, David Rose, and Bryan. "The Path to 9/11". The Hive. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Real Cities.com | 09/09/2002 | Terrorists' Sept. 11 plot a many-tentacled creature". 2002-10-19. Archived from the original on 2002-10-19. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Berlin, Special investigation by Toby Helm in. "German secret service 'failed to act on terrorist warnings'". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Langewiesche, William. "The Crash of EgyptAir 990". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "1998 Memo Cited Suspected Hijack Plot by Bin Laden (washingtonpost.com)". www.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Risen, James; Lichtblau, Eric (2004-02-24). "C.I.A. WAS GIVEN DATA ON HIJACKER LONG BEFORE 9/11". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Butler, Desmond (2003-01-18). "THREATS AND RESPONSES: INTELLIGENCE; Germans Were Tracking Sept. 11 Conspirators as Early as 1998, Documents Disclose". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Our Man in the Mosque". s3.amazonaws.com. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "9/11 and Terrorist Travel: Staff Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2004-09-23.
- "Airman Records for Alleged 9/11 Hijacker Hani Hanjour | Flight Instructor | Substance Abuse". Scribd. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "FAA contractors approved flight licenses for Sept. 11 suspect". Government Executive. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- News, A. B. C. (2006-01-07). "Report: 9/11 Hijacker Bypassed FAA". ABC News. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "FAA Was Alerted To Sept. 11 Hijacker". Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Borger, Julian (2002-11-24). "Mystery men link Saudi intelligence to Sept 11 hijackers". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Wayback Machine". 2004-10-20. Archived from the original on 2004-10-20. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "KR Washington Bureau | 01/27/2004 | 9 hijackers were considered security risks, Sept. 11 panel reveals". 2004-02-13. Archived from the original on 2004-02-13. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Gerth, Jeff (2003-05-15). "AFTEREFFECTS: INTELLIGENCE; C.I.A. Chief Won't Name Officials Who Failed to Add Hijackers to Watch List". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Timeline Flight 93: September 11, 2001" (PDF). www.nps.gov: National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 September 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.